2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yay! So here I am having to wait, but I've got some fun add-ons on the horizon once winter unleashes here in New England -- a long way to go.

I ordered my Mazda 6 hyper silver wheels and wrapped them in Conti 225/40 DWS 06 (pictured below) Tires are mounted and they're ready to go on! On a side note, the wheels are amazing quality. Not only is the visible wheel paint look amazing, but the inside of the wheel as well the outer shell of the wheel is paints in a glossy-like black. I'm not exactly up-to-par on my wheel knowledge these days, but they weren't done like this 10-15 years ago, that's for sure.

You'll also see the Eibach's sitting next to the wheels. I'll be pairing those with KONI FSD Dampers. Looking forward to losing some of that wheel gap -- but not going too low.

Additionally, got all the necessary trim to de-chrome the front. Cannot wait for the Spring time to get here so I can put it all on. If I do it right, it should be a very clean, classy ride.

PICTURES OF THE WHEELS MOUNTED ARE ON PAGE 2

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And of course, I'm sure some of you want to know what the car looks like that this is going on...

Attachments

Reactions: minsanity

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't wait to see the wheels installed, but I'm especially eager to hear what you think of the better and wider tires.
I actually have Conti 215/45 DWS 06 on my stock 18s. Needless to say, I'm so impressed with the tires that I'm wrapping my 19s in the exact same tire. I'll have the wheels on before the drop because I want to get an appropriate comparison on ride quality with the larger wheel and smaller sidewall. I don't expect much of a drastic change, but it'll be easier to tell what kind of impact lowering with the Eibachs and FSDs will have if I understand the change between the 18s and 19s.

I'm trying to keep ride quality as much as possible. I'm not a very spirited driver these days -- use to be, but not these days. So ride quality and looks is slightly more important to me than being able to wheel it around a track or on-ramp.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I actually have Conti 215/45 DWS 06 on my stock 18s. Needless to say, I'm so impressed with the tires that I'm wrapping my 19s in the exact same tire. I'll have the wheels on before the drop because I want to get an appropriate comparison on ride quality with the larger wheel and smaller sidewall.

Would really appreciate some specific feedback about the upgraded tires that have you so impressed compared to the OEM Dunlops. Details, please!

I'm glad you'll installing the new wheel/tire package first, as I'm also very curious about how the shorter sidewall may affect the ride quality. I love those Mazda6 wheels, but had ruled them out for fear of ride/comfort degradation.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would really appreciate some specific feedback about the upgraded tires that have you so impressed compared to the OEM Dunlops. Details, please!

I'm glad you'll installing the new wheel/tire package first, as I'm also very curious about how the shorter sidewall may affect the ride quality. I love those Mazda6 wheels, but had ruled them out for fear of ride/comfort degradation.
Sure thing man. I actually thought I started a thread on these tires, but upon research, they must be buried in some other thread we had going.

So in short, the tires are exceptionally more quiet then the Dunlops. I actually only kept the Dunlops for about 500 miles before I couldn't take it anymore. And it wasn't just the noise, it was the wheel and chassis vibration too.

So I did the Contis in two steps. Put the tires on and had them balanced (just a normal balance, not roadforce) and took it for a spin. Dramatically decreased the road noise, but there is still road noise. This is more a car insulation issue, not so much the tires. But the change is very noticeable. I can actually use the car's Bluetooth phone and not have to jack up the volume when I'm on the highway, so that's nice. The vibration was almost completely eliminated. And by almost, I was like, "grr, should've done the roadforce balance."

After having the tires on for about a 1000 miles I had a sneaky suspicion that something was up with the alignment. I honestly couldn't tell, but I took it in anyway about 1500 miles brand new. They threw it on the rack and sure as hell, all 4 wheels were slightly out of spec -- no idea why. The car was pretty much brand new. Left the dealership with the new Contis and it drove perfectly. Like perfect is an understatement. ZERO vibration in the wheel or chassis, much quieter ride, and dare I say more comfortable too.

It's a hard compound tire too. Nearly 20k miles later (yes, I drove a lot), I have 7/32 up front and 8/32 in the rear. So this is definitely a long lasting tire. I've gotten to experience the tires in Dry, Wet, and Snow (hence DWS nametag) and it does remarkably well. No issues in the rain, and confidence in the snow. It's not a full-blown snow tire obviously, but for an all season tire and when we got 5 inches earlier this month, I drove 65 miles to work and back confidently and with no issue.

As I said earlier, I'm not a super spirited driver. I'm getting too old and at somepoint it's just embarrassing to be pulled over by the cops for doing stupid stuff. So I can't speak to the on track performance or anything like that, but hopefully that's enough detail to help you out. Cheers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the nice write-up; interesting. My '17 GT doesn't seem noisy at all, so I expect that the changes that Mazda implemented this year have been effective. My interest in tires would be for improved grip, steering response, wear, etc. But if there are additional gains to be made for noise, so much the better!

Honestly, I keep going back-and-forth about whether to trash new tires with less than 500 miles on them. But if I do, I'll go with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ (Y-rated), likely one size wider at 225/45 x 18.

I noticed on your profile that you had planned to go to 235/35 x 19, but have now settled on 225/40 x 19. Is that due to your concern for ride quality? I haven't checked circumference specs yet; I assume your new setup will net you a comparable size to OEM.

Did you source your Mazda6 rims from resale takeoffs, or are they new wheels from an OEM online discounter?

I couldn't find any Tire Rack installer in my area who does Road Force balancing. Seems odd – I need to keep exploring those options.

Last question: Did you notice any ding to fuel economy when you changed to the Contis?

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the nice write-up; interesting. My '17 GT doesn't seem noisy at all, so I expect that the changes that Mazda implemented this year have been effective. My interest in tires would be for improved grip, steering response, wear, etc. But if there are additional gains to be made for noise, so much the better!

Honestly, I keep going back-and-forth about whether to trash new tires with less than 500 miles on them. But if I do, I'll go with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ (Y-rated), likely one size wider at 225/45 x 18.

I noticed on your profile that you had planned to go to 235/35 x 19, but have now settled on 225/40 x 19. Is that due to your concern for ride quality? I haven't checked circumference specs yet; I assume your new setup will net you a comparable size to OEM.

Did you source your Mazda6 rims from resale takeoffs, or are they new wheels from an OEM online discounter?

I couldn't find any Tire Rack installer in my area who does Road Force balancing. Seems odd – I need to keep exploring those options.

Last question: Did you notice any ding to fuel economy when you changed to the Contis?
Yes, it definitely seems Mazda listened to their customers and fixed the cabin noise. Nice to hear you report satisfactory noise.

As for bumping up to 225, just know that will change your overall circumference and throw you off by about 1mph at 65mph. Your speedo will read 65, but you'll really be going 66. No big deal, but just FYI if you didn't already know.

As for 225/40 vs 235/35 -- yes, I do need to update that. Good catch. The M6 wheel is only 7.5inches wide. It's only rated for a 225 tire. I could absolutely get away with putting a 235 tire on that, but after much internal debate and a good word from @minsanity, I went with the 225/40. 235/35 would have had negligible impact on my speedo, while the 225/40 puts it off by about 1mph. The fact that I have VIP cargo in the backseat frequently (my daughter), I don't even want the thought of having "stretched" sidewalls on my car's wheels - I'm sure there's little to no risk of a blowout when you're talking the difference between 225 vs 235, but it just wouldn't sit well in the back of my mind.

I bought them new from TascaParts.com. With the winter sale, I got them for about $1200 before shipping and tax.

As for fuel economy on the current Contis, I only had the Dunlops on for about 500 miles, so I can't really give a fair comment on that. I presume it would have been nominal, if anything at all really. I currently get 36 - 37mpg. I'm mostly highway and 45mph backroads on my 65 mile roundtrip commute. Very little stop and go.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When do you plan to mount the 19s?

I'll be very eager to get your feedback specifically on noise, vibration, and harshness, as well as the usual metrics!!

Thanks for taking the time to add the helpful details.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When do you plan to mount the 19s?

I'll be very eager to get your feedback specifically on noise, vibration, and harshness, as well as the usual metrics!!

Thanks for taking the time to add the helpful details.
That is a great question. Right now, it's been right around 35 degrees outside and my car is filthy with the usual New England roadsalt. If it hits 45 degrees out, it's a nice day, and I can manage to get to a DIY car wash with a brush, I'll put them on then. Clean the car, throw the wheels on in the garage. Just so I can snap some pics of it and then put the other wheels back on. Then just stare at it for the rest of the winter on my PC screen haha. I'm not gonna be able to make it 3 months...that's for damn sure.

Of course, if all of a sudden we get 2 feet of snow and conditions go to standard New England winter, then I'm waiting 3 months regardless. Once winter gets a hold on us here, we're pretty much in it until April rolls around.

I will most definitely have a full report on the differences between the two sizes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I will most definitely have a full report on the differences between the two sizes.

Not to pressure you or anything , but the Michelin tire sale at Costco is during January, and I need to finalize my rim size and have them shipped to me before the tire sale is over.

Besides, we're not getting any younger!

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to pressure you or anything , but the Michelin tire sale at Costco is during January, and I need to finalize my rim size and have them shipped to me before the tire sale is over.

Besides, we're not getting any younger!
Well it will be 42 and Sunny tomorrow (though I heard there was rain in the forecast), but I also have my daughter. So it'd have to be a finely orchestrated event to get the car washed, and tires on and pics snapped. Though the weather is looking manageable for the next 10 days (though that changes on a dime in this part of the country). So who knows. Let's see what happens

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Front ones are done!

This pic will give you an easy before and after.

19" on the front -- 18" on the rear -- big difference! Love them!

The other pic shows you that the new 19s are 7.5" wide, plus the increase from 215 to 225 tires...I'm satisfied with the more flush look

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the rears are on! Woot woot. Took it for a quick spin and got it up to 50mph and back home. I notice absolutely no difference so far -- which is good and as expected

Needs a wash and ProTechs are going on in April 2017; but you get the idea

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Terrific looking Mazda 3 @Chazzy J. Love your M6 wheels! Looks absolutely spectacular!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts