2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

New December 2018 NA Map Update Released

10K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  filmi 
#1 ·
FYI, Can't speak to the rest of the world but there is a new December 2018 Map Update for North America just released.

#2 ·
I downloaded it yesterday and noticed the head's up display shows a lot more detail than it used to. Now it counts down the mileage to upcoming turns (and shows directional information) miles before the exit. I updated to 70.00.100 the same day, so that may be the reason for the more thorough information, too. I'm not sure, but I'm really happy with it.

Reactions: tonyt357
#3 ·
Orville, that would be from the firmware update. Not sure what version you upgraded from but that functionality existed in the later versions of 59. Also, there are settings in the infotainment which you can adjust for the amount info you want to appear and what you want to appear on the hud. Depending on the version you came from, the update may have set some defaults you didn't have set previously.

#4 ·
Hmmm. I just realized it now says my SD Card is invalid under card diagnostics in Mazda Toolbox (although it still works in the car). I restored the previous map, and the diagnostic went back to saying it was a valid card. Then it updated the map again, and went back to saying it was invalid. I'm guessing it's an issue with their validator?

#5 ·
Orville, just curious...what inspired you to use the diagnostics app anyway? Did you have trouble updating your SD to the Dec 2018 map? Firstly, can't stress enough but always important to properly eject any media from your computer using the taskbar...not properly ejecting using this function can corrupt media.

Beyond that....consider getting another high quality SD. Copy the 2 or 3 files from original SD to your desktop and then copy/paste back to the new SD. You need to copy and paste each file individually. The content file will take 5-10 minutes to copy and paste depending on speed of computer. Then see what happens with the new SD in your car. Again, it's possible the files are OK but the SD got corrupt somehow and just needs to be reformatted.

#6 ·
Just downloaded to my original Mazda SD and copied to my SanDisk 16G spare I use in my car. Works perfectly! Three files that I put in a folder and copied to the SanDisk 16G after erasing the original files.

Do it right the first time and you will have no problems.

I give thanks to all on this forum on the right procedure and have no problems if followed in the exact order!

edvb

#7 ·
I've updated maps twice with Mazda Toolbox with no issues, but this time, my original SD card wouldn't open in Mazda Toolbox (both windows and the toolbox thought it was set to write protect). Between ejects, write-tab shifts, reinserts, having the tab fall out of the slot, trying tape over parts of the notch, etc.I was never able to get either Windows or Mazda Toolbox to allow me to add/delete files from it, so I copied it all over to a new SD card (8 GB Class 4 Kingston).

Two of the files wouldn't copy (corrupted), but Mazda toolbox recognized the mostly complete clone and allowed me to proceed with the 2018 update. Because of my issue with the original card, I went into the diagnostics to double check the new card.

At first I thought it was an issue with the validator, since the new card shows as valid when it has a restored 2017 map on it, but invalid with a 2018 map, but now I'm thinking it might have been a corrupted download. I tried using the card in the car, and navigation loaded, but no streets or roads were showing, just terrain and state names/borders. After trying the same process with another card (16 GB Class 10 SanDisk) and getting the exact same results (valid/invalid card results depending on map year, and no streets/roads showing in nav in the car) I deleted the apps/roaming map files to force a new download of the 2018 map update, and installed the freshly downloaded update on both of the cards. I didn't go back to diagnostics to revalidate either card (it was late and the process had taken hours at this point, and I was paranoid that the validator might actually be messing up the files on the card once it thought it was invalid), so I just stuck the 16 GB card in the car, and haven't had any problems using it.

Curiosity will get the best of me in a few days, and I'll probably try to validate the 8 GB card again (now a backup since the original card is toast) just to see if I get the same error. For now it doesn't appear to matter, since the Toolbox and the car both allow the card to be used.

#8 ·
I hear some upgrade to the latest version 70 but never did mine. Am still running V33 on my 2015 European 3. Is there really that much I will gain if I upgrade from V33 to V70, maps, etc?. I wish your feedback before making such a move. I don't have any issues presently so hence why am a bit hesitant to make the move.

#9 ·
Orville, I think I got mostly what you did.

If I'm not mistaken, you were able to revert the original Mazda SD back to a previous functional/valid version.

My suggestion, simply do copy of each file from the working Mazda SD to your desktop. Then paste each one of those files to a new SD card. You can't copy the entire folder/SD...you must do a copy and paste of each file on the SD. If I'm not mistaken there were 2 files previously but now there are three....content, license and label.

The Mazda SD card maybe corrupted as you point out, but that does not mean the files are corrupted. But you have to do a copy and paste from the Mazda SD to your desktop to a new SD.

At this point you should be able to put the new SD into Mazda toolbox and hopefully indicate as valid SD...then try doing the new Dec 2018 with that SD.

Don't get stuck that there is something special/unique about the Mazda SD as it could be corrupted...You absolutely don't want to erase anything on it at this point, but Mazda toolbox is looking for the data on the SD not necessarily the specific Mazda SD. If you are able to get the working data onto a different SD then you should be fine. As I said, I make 2 additional copies of the map updates when they are released in addition to the original SD.

Very interesting...Mazda does not prohibit you from making working/valid copies of the maps to a new/different SD. They just don't allow you the function to copy to a new SD from Mazda toolbox. You must copy and paste to your desktop to new SD.

#17 ·
OK, I have tried all three methods mentioned in this thread in order to make a backup copy of the SD card, but all trials have failed so far.

Mazda Toolbox can backup and restore no issue, but new card showed "invalid" when insert into my car.

Regular copy/paste (by each files not all folders together), same, no luck.

I even tired the "win32diskimager" program, still invalid.

The only thing I can think of, is that I was trying to copy the card before actually drive the car with the SD card inserted to "lock" it to my VIN.

Is that a necessary step ("VIN lock") before you can make a copy of the SD card? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.