2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2017 Mazda-3 (grand touring) 4 months ago. I don’t drive much; there's only 2,500 miles on it. At only 4 months and 2,500 miles, the dashboard wrench light indicates it’s time for an oil change. Why would it already be time for an oil change?

·
Registered
8 Posts
At least in Canada and any other place they see as having harsh weather (ie cold) it'll be 4 months and 8000 km or whatever that is in miles. They reckon that in these places the car will experience more stop and go and cold starts which don't burn off nasty oil products as well as hot areas. I stick with 8-10 k km still as I only really drive country highways. No issues so far. Using good filters and high quality oil is important if you push it too. Warranty can be denied this way but if they ever fight me on it ill just do the work myself...so don't mess around with the interval if you do t want to risk a denial.

·
Registered
185 Posts
On my 2014 the car doesn't tell me when it's service is due. That said the manual in my car lists the service interval at 5 thousand miles.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I bought a 2017 Mazda-3 (grand touring) 4 months ago. I don’t drive much; there's only 2,500 miles on it. At only 4 months and 2,500 miles, the dashboard wrench light indicates it’s time for an oil change. Why would it already be time for an oil change?
Most new cars have a built in "oil deterioration logarithm," in which length of time is one of the factors in when the cars suggest to you via a light or "message," that it is time to change your oil. Many consider that most manufacturers are excessively conservative in those recommendations, i.e., telling you to change your oil/filter way before it is needed, partly because of the time component.

I belong to the middle of the road on this issue, that oil should be changed at least once yearly regardless of how many miles you have put on your car, because when you drive a car, acids build up in the oil (why manufacturers have added in this time component to suggesting you change your oil).

However, as yours is a new car and as I believe that during the wear in intitial wear-in process (piston rings seating in against the cyclinder walls, crankcase seating, etc), to get out all the smallest of metal particles (ones too small for an OEM filter to trap), I do one extra mile oil/filter change at 1,000 miles. Many on our forum disagree with my extra 1,000 mile oil/filter change (which of course Mazda will not pay for).

On my new 3, after my initial 1,000 mile extra oil/filter change, I will change my oil once every 5,000 miles (and at least once a year).

·
Registered
687 Posts
I believe my owner's manual gives me two or three choices as to which service schedule to follow, allowing as much as a year or 10,000 miles, or as little as four months and 4,000 miles, if I recall correctly.

The manual discusses which conditions allow for which schedule should be followed.

In my case, I am changing my oil every 5,000 miles or six months while it is under warranty. I believe my driving scenario (90% highway, no short trips) would indicate I'm being very conservative. I am confident that Mazda would see no problems with my schedule should a warranty issue arise. If not, I'll see them in arbitration or court, as the case may be.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
You will be fine. As you noted, your driving would fit appropriately under their more relaxed standards. Mazda will not give you a problem regarding what you are planning.

The ones who tend to get into trouble are those that completely ignore Mazd'a more relaxed standard (OMG, I now have 15,000 miles on my oil which has never been changed), and/or those who you do the oil/filter change themselves, choose to use oil/filters which does not meet Mazda's approved standards, and don't have receipts for the work they did.

A friend of mine buys his chosen (top grade) oil and filter, keeps his receipts, takes "date documented" pictures, as most computer ones now are, of his odometer, with additional same-day pictures of his empty oil cans/filter box next to his oil drain container. Then places all this info in his computer saved maintenance records. I think he goes a little overboard in his documentation, but we each get to choose.

BTW, GREAT mileage you are getting!

·
Registered
468 Posts
if you ignore the warning / advisory light for a long time (and if this is stored in it's memory), it is highly possible that Mazda will question why you have ignored it and may not warranty an item that may fail due to you ignoring the warning.....

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
The fact that the light is on is nothing so grand as an "oil deterioration logarithm", nothing to do with driving styles, weather, phases of the moon or even the patterns in a newts entrails....:laugh2:

The fact is the dealer is scamming you. Someone at the dealer set the oil change interval light to come on at 2500 miles, probably hoping you would run right down and shell out $100+ for an oil change and whatever else they could talk you into. :surprise:
So, you can change the interval yourself. It is easily accessible in the applications section on your display. Scroll around until you find the proper setting and change the interval to something more appropriate. 7500 is the recommended interval.
Or, you can just turn the thing off..........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts