2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my beloved 2006 MX-5 for this iTouring because of some un-merited police activity. We set out on a trip from Iowa to South Carolina a couple of weeks after the trade. I was most impressed by the quietness of the interior, the handling, and gas mileage-frequently in the mid 38 MPG range. The one complaint is that the driver's seat-at least, lacks thigh support. After the first day, my upper legs hurt so badly I could hardly walk. I am not tall-5-11, typically had the seat clear back and elevated. I've never experienced this problem before and didn't find any other posts using the search feature. I am very pleased with the car and would not notice this on most shorter trips.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Welcome to M3R :)

I have taken a couple of multi-hour trips in my 2010 and haven't noticed this. It might be because I have the power seats though. I tend to have it adjusted so that the seat pan is tilted up in the front for support. I find that with the power seat adjusted right, it's very comfortable, even on a 5-6 hour trip.

·
'10 Mazda 3 S Sport 6 spd
135 Posts
The S Sport seats on my car have more support and better materials than the I's I sat in. They also let me adjust the seat heigh manually (don't know if the I does that).

From Edmunds:

The 3s Sport (available as sedan and hatchback) adds to the 3i Touring a bigger engine, different front and rear fascias, 17-inch alloy wheels, foglights, dual exhausts, rear lip spoiler, more aggressively bolstered front seats, upgraded upholstery, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, trip computer and electroluminescent gauges. The 3s Grand Touring adds automatic bi-xenon headlights with auto-leveling and corner swivel illumination, heated side mirrors, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats, leather upholstery and an eight-way power driver seat with driver memory functions.

2010 Mazda MAZDA3 Review and Specs

·
'10 Mazda 3 S Sport 6 spd
135 Posts
Looks like the I's driver seat has adustable height.

Standard equipment includes 16-inch steel wheels, a 60/40 fold-down rear seatback, height-adjustable driver seat, tilt-and-telescoping steering column, power windows and mirrors, and a four-speaker stereo with a CD player, an auxiliary audio jack and steering-wheel controls. The 3i Sport adds air-conditioning, a temperature display and the option of an automatic transmission. The 3i Touring adds 16-inch alloy wheels, remote keyless entry, power door locks, cruise control, Bluetooth phone and audio connection, and a six-speaker stereo.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I was referring to the tilt of the seat pan, not the height. Adjusting the height doesn't really address the OP's issue, imo. You can only tilt with power seats, afaik.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It can, in the sense that the higher your seat is, the greater the angle of your legs will be, thus more than likely adding a little more support under the thigh. I would play with the seat some more and find a position that is more comfortable. The OP mentioned that it's all the way back? I'm only a couple inches shorter at 5'9" and my seat is nowhere near all the way back...that seems like it might be too far, unless you have really long legs.

My MS3 also has manual height adjustment, and I found that when I was sitting higher, the seat-back bolsters were not in the right position for my back, and consequently it felt like the seat was far too narrow and was extremely uncomfortable for long-distance driving. I now sit pretty low and I'm much more comfortable. My only issue now is my right heel hurts after a while from the constant pressure of resting it on the floor while working the gas pedal. It isn't an issue when I'm wearing sneakers, but in my sandals or dress shoes it is, where it wasn't at all in my previous car. Can't quite figure that one out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Honestly the comfort of the seats, or lack thereof, is one of the main reasons I got rid of my 2010. I just found the seats cushion way to firm for my taste, and for long drives made my legs go numb. I should note that I do have lower back problems as a result of a bad car accident, so I'm sure that is also a contributing factor. I tired several different positions of the seat height and seat-back angle, but still couldn't get comfortable. I find the seats in the RX-8 to be much more comfortable, however I will miss getting 23mpg around town and all the cool tech features.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've not noticed a problem with the thigh support, though I'm only 5'9". My big complaint after a 600 mile road trip was the total lack of lumbar support (fixed or adjustable). I was good for the first 2 hours or so, but after that I began to have some dull back pain.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Has anyone tried having the seats restuffed or padding added?
I was going to go this route, instead I just bought a new car - lol. I = lazy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just finished a 2500km trek traveling from Toronto through most of Quebec and back again. I have a history of lower back problems and was a little concerned as we headed out. My worries proved to be unfounded as I can honestly say I had one of the most comfortable road trips of my life. Even after a 9hr stint I felt fresh and ready to go.

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
Reading this thread earlier today got me to actually take 10 or so minutes while driving to fine-tune the seat configuration. Once I finally got it dialed in, just like HybridTheory said, its HEAVEN. I now don't have any support problems, and drive confortably. This is normal in most cars. It'll take a little while to find out exactly what you like, and seating/steering wheel configs usually go on the backburrner to other stuff you want to do to your new car, so most overlook it in the beginning. Once you get it dialed in though, its really nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts