2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My battery is dying in my 2013 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatchback, and I'm looking to upgrade.

I just recently did the Big 3 Upgrade w/ 0 awg. I'm going to install an Alpine PDX-V9. That is the extent of the electrical work on my car I will be doing.

My buddy gets discounts (idk how much) at XS Power, so I was wondering if there's any advantage to going that route, or whether I should just buy some cheap, standard battery. From my understanding, the alternator does all the work once the car is on, so I'm not too sure the advantages of a fancy XS Power battery. I just want to explore my options.

If you recommend going with the XS Power battery, which one should I get? I've seen people with the 5100 (and should I get reversed polarity?)

Thanks you!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
The way the charging system works is the battery is used to crank the car and run electronics while the engine is off. While the engine is running the battery is charged and once charged used by the alternator as a form of capacitor to help level off voltage and amperage spikes in the system, basically it helps keep everything from frying itself. So doing the wiring upgrades is the more important than the battery you choose, but if you are going to sit and listen to a radio with any kind of power for extended period of time you need a battery that can handle being drained and charged and still start the car for several years I have never heard of XS batteries but if they have a agm or optima like battery go for it, otherwise get a good duralst gold orielly extreme, something from a company that will be around for as long as the warranty is on the battery. if you live anywhere where it gets warm, get a longer warranty higher reserve capacity battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge while the engine is running the battery is charged and once charged used by the alternator as a form of capacitor to help level off voltage and amperage spikes in the system, basically it helps keep everything from frying itself. So doing the wiring upgrades is the more important than the battery you choose.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
EbenTian you are correct that is the way your battery works, it is there to start the car, and provide power when the engine is not running but when the engine is running the alternator provides the electrical power to everything, unless you tie directly to your battery (which even then the alternator keeps a small trickle on the battery most of the time so it still provides some of that power) that's what the big 3 is more important, that and enduring you have good grounds and solid connections everywhere, you don't want power leaks. if your installing a sound system you want to do the big 3 if it is going to be over about 1000w or so even around 1000w doing the big 3 does not hurt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts