2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 3 iGT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I got my oil changed two weeks ago and the mechanic said my battery needed to be replaced soon. My car is a 2015 Mexico built and I'm fairly certain it was the original unit. So last week I went to advance auto and bought a new battery and put it in on Thursday 5-14. I had no issues until today. I washed my car, then went out to run some errands, I turned the car off twice during my trip and started no problem. Got home around 5PM and then I went to start it at 8:30 and it won't start. dash light, radio, HVAC comes on but no start. I checked the voltage at the battery and it reads 10.5V with car off and 9.4V with car on. Obviously way too low to start the car. Did I just get a bad battery? did I do something wrong installing it? Has anybody else had this issue? I didn't leave any lights on while it was parked for 3 hours and I didn't get a battery light or anything while driving.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 3 iGT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check that when i can actually get the car started, i put the battery on a charger last night came out this morning and voltage reading at terminal was 12.7V took it off the charger went to start the car... “click” no start, tested voltage at terminal and it was at 10.2V. I would like to take the car back to advance and have them test the battery to see if it is defective. I’m hoping a jump will get it going maybe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you tested the terminal voltage with the charger still on it you are measuring the charging voltage. You might have a slow leak in one circuit, maybe due to the washing. I had a slow leak last week when I left a car with its ECM disconnected- I don't know why but it went when I reconnected the computer. You can track a leak down circuit by circuit using a multimeter at the fuse board but I'd try and get the car back to the battery suppliers - they will have better equipment to find the fault and check the battery.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 3 iGT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, that’s some good info, i should clarify that i did disconnect the charger before getting the 12.7V this morning. I have never had a battery act like this before, I’m hoping i just got a dud and can get a replacement one.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 3 iGT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the battery back to the store and they put it on their tester and said it had a dead cell. They gave me a new one in exchange and have had no trouble yet. I'm glad it was just the battery and not something more expensive! This car has been a gem to own so far.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had a 3-year-full-guarantee battery go bad like that after less than a year, only mine showed five volts after a recharge. I took it to the store. They tested it and said it was bad. They gave me a new one. It happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts