2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally upgraded my '16 iSport wheels from oem steelies!

I have to say, it was unusually challenging to research the best blend of affordable, decent quality, and decent looking aftermarket wheels. This is especially true if you're sticking to the 16" size.

My tires were still great from purchasing the car a few months ago, and I personally like the ride quality and look of 16" wheels. I can wait for a nice 18" option on a newer more expensive car someday.

For anyone looking to replace steelies, I recommend these Sport Edition a8-2 wheels. They're 7lbs lighter per wheel, they're only about $108 each on sale at tire rack, and they look great (albeit I ordered plain black center caps since I really don't like their logo).

Of course you can get better performance wheels for more $$$, but I haven't read a single bad review about these, and I love the upgrade from steelies. All under $500 to order and install (without new tires).

Any other affordable wheels you all would stand by?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not bad! Are those alloy wheels?

I got the Mazda alloy wheels with mine so I'm good for now, but thanks for the post. Good to know that there are inexpensive options out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not bad! Are those alloy wheels?

I got the Mazda alloy wheels with mine so I'm good for now, but thanks for the post. Good to know that there are inexpensive options out there.
Yeah they’re slow form alloys, so I believe basically the same construction as oem?

I like oem but had a hard time finding used 16” ones for sale in Ohio near me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i hear bad things about sport edition. let us know how they hold up. they should be fine since they're 16" with a high profile tire

·
Super Moderator
5,847 Posts
i hear bad things about sport edition. let us know how they hold up. they should be fine since they're 16" with a high profile tire
Yeah, you get what you pay for....cheap + gravity cast = bent rims.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have 16” Sport Edition with Michelin XIce3 winter tires that I have used for the past 5 winters. They have been great for me. Still look new. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About $200......But really, the difference is design, quality of the alloy used, build quality, construction methods etc......
What wheels do you run?
I'm hoping not to invest much more $$ into my current mazda since it's mainly a work commuter (I sell coffee), and in a few years I want to trade it in for a 4th gen.

·
Your mom goes to college.
108 Posts
They're not going to get bent. They're 16" wheels with high profile tires. You'd really have to beat the shit out of your car and probably break something else to bend those rims.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They're not going to get bent. They're 16" wheels with high profile tires. You'd really have to beat the shit out of your car and probably break something else to bend those rims.
Thanks for the encouragement - yeah I really don't go crazy - not that you can with a stock 3rd gen Mazda 3 anyways.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nice, what other mods have you done? The only things I'd really want to do at this point is change the rest of my lights to LEDS as they go out (already swapped low beams and license plate lights) and something for performance.
I have not made any mods to my Mazda (or to the 2015 in the background now driven by my son). The wheels are for winter with snow tires and come off in the spring.

I would have upgraded the lights in the 2015 if it did anything. They were always too dim regardless of what bulbs I went with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts