2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got a 2021 Mazda3 Preferred sedan (soul red) last week for a winter daily driver (I live in MI And my summer daily is a Porsche 718). Initially I really liked everything during the test drive, however, I must’ve been blind to an issue I’m now noticing due to the crazy good interior and materials I was focusing on.

Is it just me or does anyone else noticing some slight rear end sway/unbalance when turning above 35-40mph? It feels “unnatural” and unpredictable to me, as if the car overcorrects itself exiting a corner as the body rolls back. I also own a ‘15 Mazda3 hatch which I lowered (A family member now drives it). It’s handling is definitely more crisp. I know the rear suspension was switched to a torsion beam but I’m not sure if that’s what is causing what I feel. I don’t intend to bring up a sore topic.

The stock OEM tires that came on it are Bridgestone Turanza el440 all seasons. Does anyone know if these could be the reason? One last question: does the hatchback handle the same as the sedan? I would imagine so.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
48 Posts
In the US, the hatchback and sedan have the same suspension tune and weigh almost the same. I just test drove the new 3 and loved it, but did miss the crispness of my Gen 3 hatch. I'm going for a longer test drive this weekend and will look out for this behavior.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Quick check- Dealers are supposed to check tires pressures as part of the PDI, usually they don't. Tires are inflated to ~60 psi for shipping, not good for driving. Make sure the tires are set at the pressures listed on the door sticker.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all,

Just got a 2021 Mazda3 Preferred sedan (soul red) last week for a winter daily driver (I live in MI And my summer daily is a Porsche 718). Initially I really liked everything during the test drive, however, I must’ve been blind to an issue I’m now noticing due to the crazy good interior and materials I was focusing on.

Is it just me or does anyone else noticing some slight rear end sway/unbalance when turning above 35-40mph? It feels “unnatural” and unpredictable to me, as if the car overcorrects itself exiting a corner as the body rolls back. I also own a ‘15 Mazda3 hatch which I lowered (A family member now drives it). It’s handling is definitely more crisp. I know the rear suspension was switched to a torsion beam but I’m not sure if that’s what is causing what I feel. I don’t intend to bring up a sore topic.

The stock OEM tires that came on it are Bridgestone Turanza el440 all seasons. Does anyone know if these could be the reason? One last question: does the hatchback handle the same as the sedan? I would imagine so.

Thanks all!
I suspect you got the AWD model for winter purposes? The suspension change and AWD system addition plus the increased weight are sure to make a difference. I believe the hatchback is about 500 or 600 lbs more? The exact numbers for all models/variants are listed in the car's infotainment manual. The AWD hatch weighs a little over 4000lbs I believe. The difference in handling you're explaining sounds a traction management system is stepping in. Was there a traction control light on or tire squeal? Maybe the AWD system stepped and added power to rear causing the sensation you described?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I suspect you got the AWD model for winter purposes? The suspension change and AWD system addition plus the increased weight are sure to make a difference. I believe the hatchback is about 500 or 600 lbs more? The exact numbers for all models/variants are listed in the car's infotainment manual. The AWD hatch weighs a little over 4000lbs I believe. The difference in handling you're explaining sounds a traction management system is stepping in. Was there a traction control light on or tire squeal? Maybe the AWD system stepped and added power to rear causing the sensation you described?
Lol the AWD Mazda 3 is not even close to 4000lbs just over 3000lbs and the AWD vs the 2.5 Auto FWD the AWD is 97lbs heaver not 600lbs lol

From Mazda Canada's website Automatic FWD 2.5 2021 Mazda 3 1409kg (3106lbs) - AWD 1453kg (3203lbs) - Turbo with AWD 1533kg (3379lbs)

To the OP. Sounds strange I had a 3rd gen and now a 4th gen AWD and I take corners hard and have never had what you discibe... I can even power slide the back end out in the rain and and snow..! I find the 4th gen better then the 3rd gen once I put new rubber on the car could be a tire issue the stock rubber is not the best!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks all!
I find my M3 Hatch AWD tracts true in spirited cornering, no abrupt give away nor inconsistent roadholding. If anything else, when pushed hard, it tend to understeer, which rub off the speed, a good thing. Could use a bit less body roll, but am not going aftermarket to make it so.
Cannot tell you how AWD handles in the snow, but from what I experienced briefly last winter, it did fine with the factory TOYO tires.
In theory, the sedan will have a bigger "dumbbell effect" and will turn in less crisp than the hatch, I find my hatch's turns in just fine, powering out of the corner after apex evoked a little sway but certainly manageable.
Handling wise, I find my car entirely satisfactory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the FWD version with plans to get dedicated winter tires. In my experience winter tires make a HUGE difference vs AWD with all seasons.

I checked the tire pressure. It was 45psi all around. Way off from the 36psi the door panel suggests so I lowered them all. Thanks for that suggestionMade a different for sure! More grip and I think that feeling I’m experiencing is just some body roll I’m not used to with some of the g-vectoring kicking in, which I also need to get used to.

I should have clarified - the rear doesn’t lose traction, but the body seems to sway/roll in the rear more than I’m used to in my other vehicles.

I also just realized I have revved the engine pretty hard for a new car in testing... I should back off. Should be okay still.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Damn 45psi.. ya that would do it! Would not worry about the engine these engines are bullet proof!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Only time I've experienced is this in the snow when the front tires lose traction mid turn and the power gets sent to the rear lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quick check- Dealers are supposed to check tires pressures as part of the PDI, usually they don't. Tires are inflated to ~60 psi for shipping, not good for driving. Make sure the tires are set at the pressures listed on the door sticker.
Exactly the same thing when I took delivery new. Four tires, four different pressure with wide range between them, all much higher. Reflected this to the dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lol the AWD Mazda 3 is not even close to 4000lbs just over 3000lbs and the AWD vs the 2.5 Auto FWD the AWD is 97lbs heaver not 600lbs lol

From Mazda Canada's website Automatic FWD 2.5 2021 Mazda 3 1409kg (3106lbs) - AWD 1453kg (3203lbs) - Turbo with AWD 1533kg (3379lbs)

To the OP. Sounds strange I had a 3rd gen and now a 4th gen AWD and I take corners hard and have never had what you discibe... I can even power slide the back end out in the rain and and snow..! I find the 4th gen better then the 3rd gen once I put new rubber on the car could be a tire issue the stock rubber is not the best!
My B looks like I mixed the GVWR for the Curb Weight

·
Registered
64 Posts
For anyone else who comes across this, the Curb weight for US 2.5G AWD is 3203lbs (1453kg). The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum rated weight of vehicle with all luggage and passengers accounted for. This would include roof racks and hitch mounted bike racks or anything else that is fully supported by the car's wheels and doesn't have its own wheels. GVWR for this model is 4222lbs (1915kg). Which would mean roughly 1000 pounds to load, or 4 adults and more luggage then you could probably fit into the trunk unless it was pretty dense.

·
Registered
50 Posts
While servicing 2015 M3 Hatchback made in Japan with a REAL handbrake got a 2020 loaner (same model) made in Mexico. AHHHHHHHH!!! What crappy brake feel, handling. body panel alignment, road feel etc. etc. New is not currently better. YMMV.

·
Registered
274 Posts
While servicing 2015 M3 Hatchback made in Japan with a REAL handbrake got a 2020 loaner (same model) made in Mexico. AHHHHHHHH!!! What crappy brake feel, handling. body panel alignment, road feel etc. etc. New is not currently better. YMMV.
I had a 2015 and preferred the handling over my 2019 AWD but I don’t see the new model as bad you found it. Bottom line, keep your 2015 and be happy with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My guess is that the rear suspension change IS the cause of what you have felt in cornering.
Yeah I agree. Even though lowering the tire pressure down to 36 PSI from the 45 PSI that it shipped with helped the overall feel of the driving dynamics, I still sense an “unnatural” rear end body roll that doesn’t feel the same as the front of the car after spending some more time with it behind the wheel.

I use the word unnatural because I’ve only driven cars with multilink suspension, so the way this car reacts when rolling into or out of corners isn’t what I’m used to. I think I’m able to live with it, though, as the car is super nice otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone test driven a 2019+ Civic for comparison?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anyone test driven a 2019+ Civic for comparison?
I recently test drove the 2020 Civic Sport Touring hatch...good ride over small bumps, great torque and responsiveness from the 1.5l turbo, and the CVT was smooth and unobtrusive. Feels a bit larger than the 3, because it is, and a smooth ride over most roads, but a decent amount of impact harshness over a small pothole (compared to my 3rd Gen Mazda3, a bit less of a crashing sensation over sharp bumps).

The steering was a bit too light and I felt like the turn-in was lacking sharpness. Great grip in corners from the wider 235/40R18 tires though. The interior isn't as nice as the Gen 3 Mazda, much less then Gen 4. Back seat and trunk space was far superior to the 3, but I felt like the driver seat was super low (a bit too low for my bum 40-year-old knee 😂).

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Hondas get consistently good reviews, but I tend to think of them as mid size (like the sedan 3s), with nicer materials inside than the Koreans and better road manners, but man they are ugly outside and the dash is disjointed and confused looking. Then there is that oil dilution problem that may or may not be fixed. The standard non-turbo 2 liter is a lot slower, equivalent to the 2 liter Mazda.
I did drive the Corolla hatch which Motor trend picked over the Mazda hatch. Other than it being slower, harder riding, more cramped, noisy and more cheaply made than the Mazda I enjoyed it immensely....Not.
For those that think a multilink rear is the cat's pajamas, try one of those.
I don't mean a twist beam is better , just that a poorly executed multilink can suck worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts