Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Fast Orbit

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I’ve been wanting to upgrade my stock 16” alloys for a while now and this year I have the means to do so. I’ve narrowed it down to 4 styles I think would look really good and was looking for opinions. The contenders are: RTX Vertex in machined red, DAI Frantic also in red, RTX Twin in machined black, and Fast Orbit in black. I’ve already sold my stock alloys and have new 17” tires so the countdown is on until mid April when I have to take the winters off. Any other suggestions are welcome, and thanks for your opinions!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I like the red, but I would go for something that's closer to the color of your car. Red always gets covered in brake powder and it never looks right. But the black with a gray would look pretty nice.

with our cars, just make sure you go with something lighter than stock.

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
I like the red, but I would go for something that's closer to the color of your car. Red always gets covered in brake powder and it never looks right. But the black with a gray would look pretty nice.

with our cars, just make sure you go with something lighter than stock.
And none of those are, most are significantly more.......
With a 17" wheel, 15 or 16 lbs is good, 23 lbs is not considering the OEM 16" wheel is about 19 lbs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And none of those are, most are significantly more.......
With a 17" wheel, 15 or 16 lbs is good, 23 lbs is not considering the OEM 16" wheel is about 19 lbs.
Wouldn't one expect a slight weight gain going up in diameter unless going with performance wheels? What do the OEM 18" alloys weigh? The Orbit are the only ones that list a weight, coming in at 19.4 lbs. While I'd love to shave down weight I'm also trying to stay under $200 a wheel. If you have suggestions I'd welcome them.

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
Wouldn't one expect a slight weight gain going up in diameter unless going with performance wheels? What do the OEM 18" alloys weigh? The Orbit are the only ones that list a weight, coming in at 19.4 lbs. While I'd love to shave down weight I'm also trying to stay under $200 a wheel. If you have suggestions I'd welcome them.
Yes, with OEM rims you get big weight increases. 16" OEM is about 19 lbs, move to 18" and they are almost 27 lbs...:surprise:
I have 17x7.5 TrackLite Gears on my car, they weigh in at 15 lbs each. At the time they were about $160 each. Advanti and Konig are two good names to start with. Look for rims that are flow formed, they are usually lighter and stronger without being too expensive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, with OEM rims you get big weight increases. 16" OEM is about 19 lbs, move to 18" and they are almost 27 lbs.../forums/images/Mazda3Revolution_2014/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
I have 17x7.5 TrackLite Gears on my car, they weigh in at 15 lbs each. At the time they were about $160 each. Advanti and Konig are two good names to start with. Look for rims that are flow formed, they are usually lighter and stronger without being too expensive.
Bear in mind I'm in Canada, so your $160 is around $215 here. I'm going through a local shop that gets a deal on shipping, they don't do Advanti but they do Konig, I like the Dekagram in semi matte black but will 17*8 fit? I'll have to get a price too. Here's a list of the suppliers they deal with.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have 17x8 hypergrams with 225/50r17 tires and they fit fine. The dekagrams look to have a 5mm lower offset and I doubt there would be an issue with that setup, i think you can go down into the mid 30s without modifying the car to accept that fitment.

Dekagrams
DK87514405 17×8 5×114.3 40 SEMI-MATTE BLACK 73.1 FLOW FORMED projected 16.83 lbs
DK87514408 17×8 5×114.3 40 GLOSS BRONZE 73.1 FLOW FORMED projected 16.83 lbs

Hypergrams
HG8751445G 17×8 5X114.3 45 MATTE GREY 73.1 FLOW FORMED 16.3 lbs
HG87514458 17×8 5X114.3 45 RACE BRONZE 73.1 FLOW FORMED 16.3 lbs

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 17x8 hypergrams with 225/50r17 tires and they fit fine. The dekagrams look to have a 5mm lower offset and I doubt there would be an issue with that setup, i think you can go down into the mid 30s without modifying the car to accept that fitment.
Mind me asking what your Hypergrams ran? Still waiting to get a quote on some other rims.
My tires are 215 45 17, think those will fit 17*8?
Putting aside weight for a min and just focusing on style, what do you prefer or what have you seen you like?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally I don't like all dark rims. Just about everyone is running dark rims and at night they all look the same. I like the red accent as it makes the design stand out. Looks like I was the only one to vote.
Thanks for your vote lol! The Frantic was in my top two favorites until I looked at weight, they come in at 23lbs. The Vertex come in slightly less at 22lbs. I also like how the accents pop, although I worry about keeping them clean and how long the color will last.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got 17" wheels from TireRack but did end up going down in weight of the wheel as well. They're 17x7.5 but I had no trouble wrapping them in 225/45ZR17 Falken Azenis. The car handles amazingly well and you won't find it's limits without speeds and maneuvers that should stay on the track.
I don't have an exact weight but I can tell you when changing from my winters mounted on my stock 16" steelies they are only about 2/3 the weight. Totally one of the best purchases I've made for this car.

https://www.carid.com/advanti-wheels/hybris-hy7s515365-h-17261325.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies and advice, I ended up pulling the trigger on the Motegi MR140 in matte black. I did red lug nuts and I plan on painting the calipers red when I do the brakes shortly. I really fell for the ten spoke look and coming in at 16lbs vs the Vertex and Frantic's 23lbs sealed it for me. I've only done a little highway driving since getting them but I can notice a big improvement already in handling! Thinking springs might be next. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got 17" wheels from TireRack but did end up going down in weight of the wheel as well. They're 17x7.5 but I had no trouble wrapping them in 225/45ZR17 Falken Azenis. The car handles amazingly well and you won't find it's limits without speeds and maneuvers that should stay on the track.
I don't have an exact weight but I can tell you when changing from my winters mounted on my stock 16" steelies they are only about 2/3 the weight. Totally one of the best purchases I've made for this car.

https://www.carid.com/advanti-wheels/hybris-hy7s515365-h-17261325.html
Those look great, and your car does too! Did you black out your chrome trim?

·
Registered
214 Posts
It looks good, very good...

Im wondering 17 vs 18....
A friend is selling me 17" he has on his speed fom a EVO.

I just wonder how good 17 look and perform vs a 18" with eibach springs (I ordered them days ago).
Since Im going with springs that lower, I have to go almost same diameter.
If I go 17 I have to use 225 45
18" I have to use 225 40

Anya sugestions or pics with 17" with springs?

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
It looks good, very good...

Im wondering 17 vs 18....
A friend is selling me 17" he has on his speed fom a EVO.

I just wonder how good 17 look and perform vs a 18" with eibach springs (I ordered them days ago).
Since Im going with springs that lower, I have to go almost same diameter.
If I go 17 I have to use 225 45
18" I have to use 225 40

Anya sugestions or pics with 17" with springs?

thanks in advance
Those tire sizes are not your only options....
How wide are the rims, and what offset?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Those look great, and your car does too! Did you black out your chrome trim?
Thanks! That's actually now 5 year old plastidip. My plan is to wrap or paint the front gloss black at some point.
I have a base 2014 so there isn't chrome trim on the windows, I have seen some people on here either wrap or simply replace the window trim with the base model black.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Im just trying not to go 2 low, since there is a lot of inversed speed bumps here... so I cannot go very low.

that is one of the reasons I went with Eibach springs since the drop was very minimal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Im just trying not to go 2 low, since there is a lot of inversed speed bumps here... so I cannot go very low.

that is one of the reasons I went with Eibach springs since the drop was very minimal.
Eibach on Enkei RPF1 17x7 45 offset wrapped on 215/50
Parking picture is recent, h&r springs
Each wheel comes around 14.2 pounds.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts