2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here and new to the mazda scene in general. Fairly new in the turbo world, but ive owned and molested a 90 Volvo 740 for the last 2 years so I have a decent amount of knowledge when it comes to general mechanics and problem solving.

Now to the car; my oldest brothers friend had a 2007 mazdaspeed 3 that he was going to scrap...200 bucks later its towed and laid to sit in my driveway.

The good is the interior, thats about it...nice seats

It has 246k miles and I was told it ran great but leaked oil, hit a deer then sat for 5-6 months.

Tried to jump but no crank. Swapped my jeeps brand new battery in and same thing. No click from the starter or anything. Jacked the car up and inspected the starter, looks kinda rusty so I beat on it with a hammer while my friend tries to crank. Nothing

The clutch pedal is very "loose" , as in it feels like it engages 3/4 way down, but was told slave cylinder should take care of that. Possible reason for no crank?

Now, instead of calling it a dead starter, I started reading online and happened to pass upon a no crank because of the engine immobilizer triggered.

Well, what do ya know...when the key is turned to acc the car with a key light flashes rapidly. I messaged the PO and he said he misplaced the other key but was using this current key with 0 issues. I'm kind of skeptical tho, this key I have has no black case around it for a chip. Im not familar with newer model cars that require programmable keys, but I just have a blank regular key like a 90s car would use.

Any advice would be great, really dont wanna dump alot of money into this car, considering a new dealer key would be upwards of 300 bucks...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking, but hoping not. Is there any route possible besides going to the dealer? Towing to the closest dealer is a far ways for me.

Ebay? Locksmithm

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Getting the key is the easy part. Forum vendor Mazdaswag can do the online purchases.

·
Registered
255 Posts
FWIW: I found an OEM Mazda key on e-Bay for my 2006 and took it to a locksmith to be cut and play nice with my vehicle. $11 for the key (shipped).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, That's what I was looking for. Lol since I dont have the equipment in the video, I'm sure a locksmith will. Time to look for a key on fleabay!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay guys update time! Key came in, key was cut and programmed and the car fired first try! Stumbled died, started, died and so on...and I learned some new info...it was a year and 5 months it sat....not just 5 months....sigh.

Changed oil, filter, flushed coolant, fresh battery, changed slave cylinder. Let it idle for 5 minutes and its realllll rough. Hit the gas to hard and on decel it wants to cut off unless you hold the gas.

So,it had a 1/4 tank, barely made it to the gas station, 1/8 mile away from my house, filled up with 93 and half a can of seafoam. Its now idling in my driveway rough as can be.

Hoping for bad gas and just have to run it thru, but maybe plugs are my next step?? Any thoughts or suggestions? Like I said, new to mazda!

After actually messing with the car, it has a BOV and cone filter, everything else I assume is stock.

One last question. Is this a timing chain vehicle? I "feel" like I hear it rattling while idling/running. Possibly a bad tensioner?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Lol oh yeah...engine is really shaky. As expected...lesser when throttled up but pretty jumpy at idle and cel just came on, sweet. At least ill have something to go by. Advanced is also 1/4 mile away, so around 4pm today I'll scoot it over there and get a diag

·
Registered
255 Posts
Replace the spark plugs (they come pre-gapped) and it probably wouldn't hurt to change the O2 sensors. Change the air filter while you're at. You might want to run octane booster in your current tank of gas and open it up on a high way to blow out the carbon build-up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lol my lazy day turned in to the mazda cruising down the street. Changed the plugs, ngks and they were gapped to .51!? I put them down to .34 ...anyways the others were TOAST , like real bad.

Found a couple tears in some vacuum/boost hoses that I replaced.

Oh my gosh. This thing is so fun. Sadly its not street legal yet, but up and down an empty street a couple times had me laughing my ass off.

Other notes...turbo is smoking, burning oil I presume. Is there a pcv system/breather that I should clean. I bet this thing has been abused. Sitting after idling for an hour on some white plywood we will see about the "leaks"

New info from PO, apparently has a "Cobb stage 2 tune"... Havent done research yet, but kinda curious on how much bewst its running

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ehhh, getting the turbo out seems daunting. Spark plugs fixed the idling and running issue it seems. Ill start it up and let it run for a while afyer work today. I filled up with 93 octane and half a can of seafoam to try and clean out whatever is there from the year plus of sitting.

The CEL is gone now as well, probably picked up the misfires from the terrible plugs.

Probably newb question; how difficult would it be to replace the chain Tensionor? I assume you wouldn't need to replace the actual chain?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Ehhh, getting the turbo out seems daunting. Spark plugs fixed the idling and running issue it seems. Ill start it up and let it run for a while afyer work today. I filled up with 93 octane and half a can of seafoam to try and clean out whatever is there from the year plus of sitting.

The CEL is gone now as well, probably picked up the misfires from the terrible plugs.

Probably newb question; how difficult would it be to replace the chain Tensionor? I assume you wouldn't need to replace the actual chain?
Its the hardest DiY item to do. Once the chain is removed and everything can go off alignment. There's a bunch of prepping required for this job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah...I'm coming from the world of single cam, timing belts, non interference... Does this engine have/use VVT? not really interested in moving forward with that, honestly.

Anything like a jeep? My 4.0 chain has been rattling for the last 75k miles..ha

OTOH, what's the pcv system looking like on a stock model? I feel like if the turbo seals are blown then I should at least invest in a catch can/breather box?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Austin,

I've removed all the timing component with the engine out. It would probably not be a lot of fun with the engine in. The components themselves are not very expensive, so you might as well replace the chain and the guides along with the tensioner. The chain is probably the most crucial item.

You'll need a timing kit from Massive Speed Systems or something like that. It's pretty cheap. You'll have the valve cover off so that you can lock the cams in place (there are good videos online about tuning a Mazda 3). Sorry but I don't know the differences with the Mazdaspeed. You might want to replace the valve cover gaskets at this point.

A threaded pin inserted in the side of the engine block help align the crank. After the timing components are installed and the timing cover is resealed, you'll be installing the crank pulley (which requires alignment) with a new crank pulley bolt. It doesn't seem possible to get the required torque spec on that big guy without a good impact wrench, just warning you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I didn't realize this is a turbo powered vehicle. I really hope you stick with this because it sounds like an awesome car to get back into operational condition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I recently rebuilt a 8v 2.3 Volvo redblock engine...but as everyone but me probably knows they are very different when it comes to timing things back up.

So opinions here...worst case if I don't touch the chain/tensioner/guides?

Other opinions on the turbo, I feel like ive read the pcv systems on these engines are terrible and usually neglected. I'm thinking best bet is a catch can? Or is there a readily available upgraded pcv I can buy?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh and on the awesome car note. If I bought this new back in 07. It would be my baby. And I dont even like front wheel drove

1 - 20 of 36 Posts