2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my mazda 3 2014 2.0 was in an accident a few years ago. The transmission cooler mount has a slight bent on the outside pipe were the hose attaches to it. This never created any problems for me other than a few drops a week.

Recently my coolant leak has gotten way worse but it's not from where the bent spot is by the trans cooler mount it's actually way higher up but since there are so many hoses there I'm unable to see exactly were it's leaking from.

I went to the dealership and showed them the video and they just want to replace the cooler mount, they didn't even mention any leak from higher up and said the cooler mount is the only issue which I know for a fact is not true because I have a video of it leaking from above.

Anyway, I'm trying to buy all the parts online including the cooler mount and then go to an independent mechanic to fix it instead of the dealship.

Can someone offer some advice, what parts should I get?
I know so far I will need to replace the transmission oil, the cooler mount F221-19-9F3, the o-rings and drain and refill the coolant.
What hoses do you thing I should buy?

Thanks.

youtu.be/Ch5wcsnDtO0

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no insurance claim, the accident was 2 years ago so I'll just buy the parts and go to a mechanic to install them. I don't like mechanics buying parts because most of the time they just get 3-rd party crap and still charge you full dealership OEM price.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Best way to find a leak is using a rad pressure tester. If you can't get one for whatever reason, you might get lucky with a little trick I use sometimes. Get the car fully warm, open your hood and keep it running. With flashlight in hand, turn the car off and start looking. When you turn it off, there's a brief pressure spike since coolant stops moving for the most part. You don't have long, but this has worked for me in the past several times.

Oh and remember to have your heat on full so you can also test the heatercore :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best way to find a leak is using a rad pressure tester. If you can't get one for whatever reason, you might get lucky with a little trick I use sometimes. Get the car fully warm, open your hood and keep it running. With flashlight in hand, turn the car off and start looking. When you turn it off, there's a brief pressure spike since coolant stops moving for the most part. You don't have long, but this has worked for me in the past several times.

Oh and remember to have your heat on full so you can also test the heatercore :)
well, yeah, that's exactly what I did. I posted the video of me looking at the general area where it's dripping but I can't really feel it where exactly it's coming from. There are like 5 hoses running through the same spot and they are all crammed together.

The pressure tester is a cool idea but it costs over 70 bucks. I can buy 3 hoses for that price and just replace them all.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
well, yeah, that's exactly what I did. I posted the video of me looking at the general area where it's dripping but I can't really feel it where exactly it's coming from. There are like 5 hoses running through the same spot and they are all crammed together.

The pressure tester is a cool idea but it costs over 70 bucks. I can buy 3 hoses for that price and just replace them all.
I hear you. I can't get a tester for less than $150 here so I don't own one.

Do you have a small mirror? An inspection mirror on a retractable pole is usually cheap. Should let you get beneath the hoses.

I'm going to guess it's probably a failed clamp. No I'm sorry I didn't watch your video since data on my phone is limited and I'm on the road. If the hose has frayed or bulged at the end, you can cut them back a bit. A steak knife works well. With the clamps, I usually replace with gear clamps. I find them more reliable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hear you. I can't get a tester for less than $150 here so I don't own one.
I don't own one either, but have borrowed them for free many times. If you have an Advance Auto, AutoZone or any of the other larger auto parts retailers in your area, coolant pressure testers and many other specialty tools are typically available for free via their loaner programs. They'll typically take a deposit worth the cost of the tool upfront, and when you return it undamaged, they refund your deposit.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I don't own one either, but have borrowed them for free many times. If you have an Advance Auto, AutoZone or any of the other larger auto parts retailers in your area, coolant pressure testers and many other specialty tools are typically available for free via their loaner programs. They'll typically take a deposit worth the cost of the tool upfront, and when you return it undamaged, they refund your deposit.
We don't have those chains up north. All we have is partsource but they do have a similar program. Problem is that's not a tool you can 'borrow' from them. At least last I checked it isn't. There's a lot of tools they don't have available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts