2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 mazda3
stock tire dunlop

any recommendation for a costco tire. id rather buy from there even if different name brand than stock tires.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,447 Posts
225/45/18 Michelin AS 3 or Continental DWS06 extreme contact.
CK

Reactions: MrBen and perseus

·
Your mom goes to college.
132 Posts
All season for L.A. ? Only really of any benefit below 45. I'd have thought Summer.
Good tires are good tires. The Michelin’s are Z-rated tires that grip better than most other tires, plus they are great in wet weather too. I have them here in Florida and they’re amazing in the rain. If the price is good, you’re not missing out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good tires are good tires. The Michelin’s are Z-rated tires that grip better than most other tires, plus they are great in wet weather too. I have them here in Florida and they’re amazing in the rain. If the price is good, you’re not missing out.
That's not quite right. An all season tyre is always going to be a compromise. In the wet their performance at lower temperature can be better than a summer tyre but in the dry the summer tyre is better. Depends what you want from a tyre I guess and your local climate but you do miss out on performance with an all season tyre.

Have a watch of this - actually all this guys videos are pretty good, he really puts in the hours doing the tests.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,447 Posts
I use the Michelin PS4s. Excellent tires, but not cheap.

Also, with the weather being so unpredictable lately, all season tires are just a safer choice.
CK

Reactions: hawaiiguy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another Michelin PS4 fan here, have been grippy in all conditions, very nice rim protection on the sidewall. Think you'd have to aim at a kerb at speed to actually scrape your rims with how thick it is!

·
Your mom goes to college.
132 Posts
That's not quite right. An all season tyre is always going to be a compromise. In the wet their performance at lower temperature can be better than a summer tyre but in the dry the summer tyre is better. Depends what you want from a tyre I guess and your local climate but you do miss out on performance with an all season tyre.
I understand that speaking in generalities, that is the case. However, the Michelin PS A/S 4 is a fantastic tire. Period. And it usually costs quite a bit less than its summer counterpart as they're basically completely different tires. So it's not like I had the choice between the same tire in A/S or Summer at the same price and chose A/S. I chose the best tire for the price -- incredible traction in both dry and wet, long life, quiet operation, super responsive. I encourage anyone to check it out as a good option.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
29 Posts
All season for L.A. ? Only really of any benefit below 45. I'd have thought Summer.
I know we all think of L.A. as warm and sunny. But you have to remember that there is skiing in the mountains not too far away. Big Bear is only 2-5 hours away, depending on traffic (yes, the traffic is as bad as you think). There are also times you have to drive on sand and other unpaved surfaces. So having all-season tires actually does make sense there. When I lived there, I always had all-seasons, and never had to worry if my tires are up to whatever I encountered.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i'd rather have an all-season tire that can do .9Gs in the dry, .8Gs in the wet, than a summer tire that does 1G in the dry, .7Gs in the wet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'd rather have an all-season tire that can do .9Gs in the dry, .8Gs in the wet, than a summer tire that does 1G in the dry, .7Gs in the wet.
Your tyres, your choice but if it's dry more often than it's wet I don't think that's logical - all the more so when it's got to be both cold and wet for the all season to work better.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,447 Posts
I live in LA.. we've gotten hailed on a couple times this winter. The weather is very unpredictable lately.
CK

·
Registered
19 Posts
2018 mazda3
stock tire dunlop

any recommendation for a costco tire. id rather buy from there even if different name brand than stock tires.
I'm waiting for costco to have $150 off 4 bridgestone turanza quiettrack. 80k mile warranty. Way better than the stock ecopia tires

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tire rack is expensive too plua u have to find a place to install them. You're better off waiting for costco to have their $150 off 4 bridgestone tire a

1 - 20 of 24 Posts