2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Mazda 3 2.5. It has 41k miles. Car still has original battery. When the car sits over night and we go to start it in the morning it starts fine for the first start. If you start it and don't let it come up to operating temp it does not want to re start. The car hiccups and tries to stall itself. If you drive it and let it warm up it will start over and over with no issues.
It still cranks fast and I don't think it battery related. I load tested the battery this morning and it shows good. It seems more like a fuel issue. It almost sounds like it's not getting enough fuel to run the engine. I plan on going to the dealer soon but we have to leave it overnight because it won't do it once it's been drove down there and it has warmed up. Just curious if anyone may have an opinion on this.

·
Registered
641 Posts
how is the alternator?

Reactions: swerv0428

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm I haven't checked the MAF. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and check. Now that's got me wondering. If I think back it's been doing this for probably a year or more. About the time I put the drop in k&n filter in it. :screwy:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Try pumping the gas (less than half throttle) repeatedly while turning the ignition in the partially warmed state. If it aids in starting the car, then you could have a problem with the correct amount of air/fuel being delivered. This can be caused by a number of parts, including the engine coolant temperature sensor as well as the fuel system components. If the sensor works partially, it may not throw any codes but can give you the symptom you are describing.

Reactions: swerv0428

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try pumping the gas (less than half throttle) repeatedly while turning the ignition in the partially warmed state. If it aids in starting the car, then you could have a problem with the correct amount of air/fuel being delivered. This can be caused by a number of parts, including the engine coolant temperature sensor as well as the fuel system components. If the sensor works partially, it may not throw any codes but can give you the symptom you are describing.

yes I have done this before and it helps. Also cycling the key a few times helps as well. But if I pump the gas or give it half throttle while starting it starts right up.

MAF housing and spark plugs both sound like good ideas to check. Let us know if you find out!
Will do :thumbup:

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I threw back in the stock air filter. I have a hunch the k&n drop in filter came over oiled and may be screwing with the MAF. I'm going to pick up some MAF cleaner and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts