2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a water leak into my 2015 Sport. It's coming from the passenger side firewall, just aft of the blower unit. I thought it might be coming in through the fresh air intake, but after removing the blower unit, it doesn't seem to be. I found it dripping off the end of the sound matting (pictured). Since I had the windshield replaced just after I bought it, that's my current suspect. My theory is that it's getting in past the urethane somewhere, running down the edge of the windshield, and soaking into the matting.

My problem is that I don't have an accurate picture of the structures in the area, and I'm not taking the dashboard out. Is there anyone out there who can point me to some pictures of this car with the dashboard removed?

My next step is to remove the passenger seat to give myself a place to lay down and have a closer look at the area.
Bumper Trunk Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bicycle part

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
377 Posts
It absolutely could be a poor installation job on the replacement windshield. It could be a gap in the urethane, or poor surface prep that has corroded and created a gap under the urethane. It also could be a clogged drain for the sunroof if you have a sunroof. Sunroof leaks can travel down the A-pillar and show up under the dash. The other common source is from a blocked cowl drain, those back up and overflow into the cabin behind the dash.

I'd try soaking down the cowl area with a hose (just a trickle) or with a jug of water and see if it leaks inside. If not, then try to pour water around the windshield, starting at the bottom and working your way up. Lastly, try pouring water around the sunroof, though this may take a while to start dripping as the water has a long way to travel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no sunroof. It definitely leaks inside, I found it dripping from where it says "Drip" on the image. But it doesn't seem to be coming in the fresh air intake. I suppose the only option is the windshield.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts