2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need help with a noise, are these threads not always fun? anyways I got the car in august and since have put about 8k miles on the car mostly straight cruising on the freeway to/from work. anyways the it has been making a whrrrrr , or hrmmm type noise below 30 most noticeable between 10 and 25mph being in drive or neutral does not change it braking does not change it until I get below about 10mph turning either direction it gets somewhat louder really just more pronounced not really what I would call louder. all fluid levels are within normal range brake pads and rotors where changed the week I bought it at all corners tires where on the car when I bought it at 10/32nds (new at least from specs on web) and dealer claims to have installed them they are now at 9/32nds as of 3ish weeks ago when I checked them. they are at 34psi cold inflation (dealer had then at 38 cold) car placard states 32 cold all around but 34 phycoactivily seems to have helped the noise slightly to me after I lowered it to 32 and had the noise 34 seemed to help some but too hard to tell. rotated once when they where checked for depth and no change in noise, may have been better a few days but was hard to tell. rolling down the window when it makes the noise, and you get less to no noise, and cannot hear it at all sticking your head out the window or from standing outside while I drive around. the tires are firestone firehawk wide oval a/s and they get bad ratings for noise on tirerack, which is why I am leaning towards tire noise, that and it has not got any worse or better as I put miles on it. anyone have a similar issue or suggest something I look at? I don't want a wheel bearing or something failing while I am going 75mph to work or driving for work as I need to do frequently.

brakes that came off where worn thin but seemed very evenly worn on both pads on each tire. new pads seem to be eating rear rotors faster than fronts if that helps but that maybe due to the fact I used semi mets on rear and ceramics on front both where duralast gold pads and duralast rotors, may never use them again as I no longer get a discount with autozone and want better performing parts/brakes if anyone has a way for me to upload a video clip with a sample of the noise I hear I can do so but the file format does not appear to be supported

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
First I would jack the car up and spin each wheel. If you hear no noise you can eliminate brakes and wheel bearings. If it is tire noise then the noise should change a little on different road pavements. My Dunlop tires make noise but the sound changes on different kinds of pavement. You didn't say how many miles were on the car when you bought it or if service records came with the car. Is it a manual or automatic transmission? A whiny noise could indicate transaxle or transmission problems but these usually don't happen until many miles are put on the car or the car has be abused.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
it was the right rear caliper, i put it up on jacks again today each wheel and front 2 where ok, then i get to the right rear.... its grinding bad when it spins. "Great bad bearing". So i take the tire off and it sounds and looks like the rotor is being dragged on, pad or something misaligned in its mount. so i take the caliper pins loose and slide the caliper off, and low and behold it spins freely! However i did not have time nor tools to change it that moment so, i figured I would do it this morning. Rebuilt calipers on right rear and left rear (keep em even, and probably close in wear anyways.) left rear spun free smooth and no grinding just like fronts. it being the one furthest from my seat no wonder i could not tell what or where it was coming from. It still has a small noise but it IS tire noise as it is barely there, only hear it on bad roads and changes with pavement types

Sorry about punctuation in the original post, I should have just not posted but I wanted to get it up. But the computer I was typing that on had a browser f-up. It has it alot on these pages and on yahoo, weird, both where hacked......

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
it was the right rear caliper, i put it up on jacks again today each wheel and front 2 where ok, then i get to the right rear.... its grinding bad when it spins. "Great bad bearing". So i take the tire off and it sounds and looks like the rotor is being dragged on, pad or something misaligned in its mount. so i take the caliper pins loose and slide the caliper off, and low and behold it spins freely! However i did not have time nor tools to change it that moment so, i figured I would do it this morning. Rebuilt calipers on right rear and left rear (keep em even, and probably close in wear anyways.) left rear spun free smooth and no grinding just like fronts. it being the one furthest from my seat no wonder i could not tell what or where it was coming from. It still has a small noise but it IS tire noise as it is barely there, only hear it on bad roads and changes with pavement types

Sorry about punctuation in the original post, I should have just not posted but I wanted to get it up. But the computer I was typing that on had a browser f-up. It has it alot on these pages and on yahoo, weird, both where hacked......
Glad you found the problem and it wasn't a major fix. Happy motoring from Thailand.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep, brakes like a champ now, pedal is firm and freeplay is in spec. I think the remainder of my noise complaints are due to the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval A/S tires on the car, does anyone have any experiences with these? I, so far have not been impressed and want to see if anyone else had noise issues with them they are the h or v rated ones (probably v) utqg of 460aa so kinda on the hard side and do have large tread blocks, so it maybe a stiff tread and large tread blocks just make them noisy. they also lack grip overall, though seem better in wet, dry grip sucks though. I bought the car it was at 10/32 wear all around now at 9/32nds so if the tires are the noise cause then I do not know if it will get better or worse with wear as tires tend to get louder as they wear.
Here is the link to the tirerack test page of the tires on my car for reference (if anyone wants to chime in)
Tire Test Results : Testing High Performance All-Season Tires
(if you scroll and click on the tire name it will take you to the product page, the direct link to said page will not work when copied over, guess because tire has been discontinued)

they also score poor in noise/comfort ratings on tire rack and in tire rack's tests perform bad overall so, not very good light they are painted in.

The new calipers also solved some issues I did not even think where related/ really an issue like releasing the parking brake it would moan does not seem to do that anymore, shift shock has virtually disappeared which I figured that was just being an automatic, and no more moaning when I release the brakes to let the car roll slightly at a red light or other situations. These where issues I did not think where really issues or connected to the noise issue I was having but apparently where.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts