2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have the 2016 iSport hatchback. I have had it for about a year and a half now. I've been doing research but I know absolutely nothing about car tires. I've seen some really nice 215 45 18 but they weren't on the sport. Can I go up in size from the stock 16? Tire rack says only 205/60-16 will fit my car. What if I wanted a lower profile tire if I have to stay with 16 in. My car looks like it has the clearance there's a lot of space. Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The short answer is...no.
What you are trying to do is called 'Plus 1".."Plus 2"..etc. where you lower the profile of a tire (let's say from a 60 series to a 50 series), but then go up 1" in rim size to make up for it. Basically you are doing this to keep the rolling diameter the same. So you could go from a 205/60-16 to a 205/50-17 or a 205/40-18...all 3 will be about the same diameter. If all you do is put a lower profile tire on your rim it will change the diameter of the tire and your speedometer will be off (might affect other things too).

You might get away with doing a small change (maybe going to a 55 series tire), but it may not be worth it as far as how much it would change the look. There are calculators on-line that tell you the speedometer error you would see. Also, going with a lower profile generally would make for a stiffer ride because there is less sidewall to flex and absorb road imperfections.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello I have the 2016 iSport hatchback. I have had it for about a year and a half now. I've been doing research but I know absolutely nothing about car tires. I've seen some really nice 215 45 18 but they weren't on the sport. Can I go up in size from the stock 16? Tire rack says only 205/60-16 will fit my car. What if I wanted a lower profile tire if I have to stay with 16 in. My car looks like it has the clearance there's a lot of space. Any tips and advice would be appreciated.
As long as the tire/wheel height is the same/close. If not your speedometer will be off and it could be a safety issue. 215/45/18 wont fit on your 205/60-16 at all, one is for an 18" rim and one is for a 16" rim. In order for you to fit 15/45/18 you need a 18" rim, which it sounds like you don't. In order to go with a lower profile tire you will need a bigger rim.

I use 16" steel rims for my snow tires with a 205/60/16 tire and though my summer 18" rims are supposed to use 215/45/18 i went with a little wider 225/40/18.

I have the GT with 18" rims.

The clearance is for bumps and suspension movement. Go with the sizes that are remanded.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
You can't put low profile tires on your 16" rims. You can but it will look silly and probably handle badly. This is what your car will look like :
well, sort of....:smile2:

The results of a search on TireRack will only give you manufacturer or OEM sizes, not other sizes that may fit but don't come as an option from Mazda. There are many other sizes that will work, but you will need to match the tire size to the proper rim size. You will also need rims with proper offset for correct fit. There is a pretty extensive section on tires and wheels on this forum. I would suggest looking through it and try to get somewhat familiar with the various options. TireRack also has a rather complete help section with explanations of tire specs, how to match tire and rim sizes, how to choose a tire etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts