2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help... I need to take the ignition controlled cigarette lighter outlet in the little cubby by the shifter and remove it and wire into there a female usb end that is 3.0+ amp so I can use that to charge a tablet... the factory USB port in the center console armrest area does not charge enough and will not charge my tablet... any ideas?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem with those is they may have a total amperage output of 3A, but it isn't per port otherwise there would be no problem. It's really 1.5A. I have tried a 2.4A, but that still isn't enough to sustain a positive charge when the display is on. I'm planning on hacking into the lighter wiring today and going to run that to a USB port I think... just a little more research to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or... just realized that it may be entirely possible that this port is a DATA ONLY port to allow music to play thru it... and it may not power the outlet enough to charge... I need to find out how to modify this to make it work for a charge...

·
Registered
20 Posts
why not just run a new system direct to an inverter. you could run a wire from the ignition to a relay to supply power directly from the battery to the inverter. you could than put it where ever you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts