·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What product do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Do you mean a scratch on the face/spoke or on the edge (curb rash)? Touch up paint for small face scratches. JB Weld then paint for deep face scratches and curb rash.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean a scratch on the face/spoke or on the edge (curb rash)? Touch up paint for small face scratches. JB Weld then paint for deep face scratches and curb rash.

It was a curb rash on edge. Duplicolor or what paint is good for deep curb scratches?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It was a curb rash on edge. Duplicolor or what paint is good for deep curb scratches?
If it is a deep rash painting it may hide the color transition but won't fill it in or hide the rash itself.

You can certainly use duplicolor and a little clearcoat if you wheel has a gloss finish. If you wanted to repair the rash before painting, you can use JB weld. You would sand down the rough edges of the rash so the pointy bits don't protrude beyond the level of the lip and to provide a smoother base for the JB weld. Then you would mix the contents of the tube 1:1 and smear it into the rash. Use a little first and then once dry, add a good amount so it comes above the level of the lip. You will be sanding it back down to match the lip around the rash. I recommend sanding 6-12 hours after putting it on because it hardens like steel if left longer. Not a big deal if it does, but sanding will take more elbow grease. Once dried you just dry then wet sand it down to the shape of the adjacent lip and voila, it's like the rash was never there. You are then ready to paint to get the color to match the rest of the wheel.

There are online videos and how tos on using JB weld but that's pretty much the jist of it. I repaired the rash on 2 of my enkeis before selling them and they turned out great. Nice and smooth.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is a deep rash painting it may hide the color transition but won't fill it in or hide the rash itself.

You can certainly use duplicolor and a little clearcoat if you wheel has a gloss finish. If you wanted to repair the rash before painting, you can use JB weld. You would sand down the rough edges of the rash so the pointy bits don't protrude beyond the level of the lip and to provide a smoother base for the JB weld. Then you would mix the contents of the tube 1:1 and smear it into the rash. Use a little first and then once dry, add a good amount so it comes above the level of the lip. You will be sanding it back down to match the lip around the rash. I recommend sanding 6-12 hours after putting it on because it hardens like steel if left longer. Not a big deal if it does, but sanding will take more elbow grease. Once dried you just dry then wet sand it down to the shape of the adjacent lip and voila, it's like the rash was never there. You are then ready to paint to get the color to match the rest of the wheel.

There are online videos and how tos on using JB weld but that's pretty much the jist of it. I repaired the rash on 2 of my enkeis before selling them and they turned out great. Nice and smooth.
Hey tastic, tomorrow in the morning I'm going to take pictures and post them so you could give me your opinion if I should use JB weld or just duplicolor. If you can tomorrow take a look at this post to see the picture . Thanks!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hey tastic, tomorrow in the morning I'm going to take pictures and post them so you could give me your opinion if I should use JB weld or just duplicolor. If you can tomorrow take a look at this post to see the picture . Thanks!
You got it!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the pictures I promised. If you could see, I kind of covered it with a black marker but plan on using duplicolor with a small brush. Not sure if using jbweld although I have to make sure
there are no rough edges that might mess up the tire while driving. Give your opinion!

DSC00534.JPG

DSC00535.JPG

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Grinding it smooth before repainting will make it less noticeable. As for using JB Weld, it all depends on your level of OCD. The JB Weld will return the original shape and height of the lip but if you are OK with how it looks after sanding and painting, you can certainly leave it as is.

You will have enough paint to do it twice so you can certainly sand/grind and paint and see what you think and then go back and resand, JB weld and paint if you are unsatisfied.

My rash was a bit worse than yours. Here is a pic after JB weld was applied and sanded down to original lip shape/height (Not repainted) It was pretty ragged under the red boxes before repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I'll keep you inform of what I end up doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts