2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls

I need your help locating the source of the noise please.

Ive a 2015 Mazda 3 Sport GT hatchback since 2014 with a couple minor mods on it, and this morning I noticed a continuously ticking noise coming from the area between the windshield and the dashboard in front of me. Somewhere in the red circle in the below picture: (pic was from years back in a winter, I couldn't find a newer pic of that area)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p0senxlkanqcyb/noise location.jpg?dl=0

Seems like it only occurs under 60kph in city driving, it somehow disappeared when driving around 100kph on the highways. And only occurs when the car is in motion, because Ive tried rev the engine in different RPMs when parked and it doesn't makes the noise.

I have uploaded a video on youtube regarding this noise:

Please help me locate the source, anything would be appreciated !

Many thanks in advance!

Amos

·
Registered
348 Posts
I hear a similar creaking noise as well but not as frequent intervals. I suspect it's the speaker grille in the center dashboard that's making the noise. It went away in colder temperatures.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting. With the arrival of hot weather I have a new rattle in my 2016 Touring 5-door. It sounds like it's coming from the dashboard behind the infotainment screen. I usually only hear it when I go over rumble strips or cobblestones, stuff like that, and not always then. A couple of days ago when I heard it I pressed on the dash right in front of the speaker and I heard a crunchy noise like something was popping into place. I'm curious to see if that got rid of the noise or if it'll still there when I hit rumble strips.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear a similar creaking noise as well but not as frequent intervals. I suspect it's the speaker grille in the center dashboard that's making the noise. It went away in colder temperatures.

Thanks for your reply lordnikon! I’ll pay attention to the grille next time when I get in the car! Thanks again!

Sent from my Washing Machine using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. With the arrival of hot weather I have a new rattle in my 2016 Touring 5-door. It sounds like it's coming from the dashboard behind the infotainment screen. I usually only hear it when I go over rumble strips or cobblestones, stuff like that, and not always then. A couple of days ago when I heard it I pressed on the dash right in front of the speaker and I heard a crunchy noise like something was popping into place. I'm curious to see if that got rid of the noise or if it'll still there when I hit rumble strips.

Thanks for your reply!

I believe my car makes that noise no matter the road is bumpy or smooth. And I never experienced this kind of noise for the past four years of the ownership.

I was kind of scared when I heard the noise for the first time this morning because I thought the windshield was cracked or the glue around was broken.

So by pressing the dash in front of the speakers, you mean pressing between the grille and the windshield or between the grille and the screen?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm definitely following this one, I've been having this same issue for the last couple of months and until today no luck to what it may be. Drove me crazy in the beginning but now I learned to live with it as I wasted too much energy and time.

IMO I think that the suspension changes combined with the daily driving increased NVH inside the cabin and this took a toll into some plastics or components inside of it, making them loose and causing this rattling. Also heat and cold might have something to do with it, as plastics shrink and expand so their fixed position and form changes slightly over time.

It must be some kind of plastic that is loose or is not seating tightly, or even metal with metal, you can press the plastics or panels firmly and maybe the noise will disappear just to come back again.

Just to take into perspective, this is all I have done and taken apart in order to find this rattle:

1- Took center screen plastic off, put tessa tape on hinges --> rattling was still present

2- Took technology package upper console plastics off, put tessa tape on clips ---? rattling still present

3- Wrapped all cables in the technology package area with tessa tape ***Now this is my main "suspect" from where the rattling could be coming, if you notice carefully the technology plastic mount where all sensors seat is glued into the windshield, heat may have let it loose but it's quiet complicated to check that one since I have also "revved" the car while parked with everything taken apart and the noise does not appear, and well I'm scared to start touching these components as they are expensive AF

4- Took map lights off and upper metal support bracket off, put tessa tape on metal connections---> rattling still present

As per my experience I feel that the rattling is coming from the upper center windshield area/ technology package area/ headliner area, not from the center dashboard itself but I could be wrong, I'll pay attention to the center speaker grille when this happens again as some have suggested here.

But it could also be that we are having different rattling issues, but the sound you recorded is exactly the same sound I hear when it happens to me!

Finding this one will require a lot of patience as it could be coming from anywhere. Hopefully we will be able to find this bastard!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm definitely following this one, I've been having this same issue for the last couple of months and until today no luck to what it may be. Drove me crazy in the beginning but now I learned to live with it as I wasted too much energy and time.

IMO I think that the suspension changes combined with the daily driving increased NVH inside the cabin and this took a toll into some plastics or components inside of it, making them loose and causing this rattling. Also heat and cold might have something to do with it, as plastics shrink and expand so their fixed position and form changes slightly over time.

It must be some kind of plastic that is loose or is not seating tightly, or even metal with metal, you can press the plastics or panels firmly and maybe the noise will disappear just to come back again.

Just to take into perspective, this is all I have done and taken apart in order to find this rattle:

1- Took center screen plastic off, put tessa tape on hinges --> rattling was still present

2- Took technology package upper console plastics off, put tessa tape on clips ---? rattling still present

3- Wrapped all cables in the technology package area with tessa tape ***Now this is my main "suspect" from where the rattling could be coming, if you notice carefully the technology plastic mount where all sensors seat is glued into the windshield, heat may have let it loose but it's quiet complicated to check that one since I have also "revved" the car while parked with everything taken apart and the noise does not appear, and well I'm scared to start touching these components as they are expensive AF

4- Took map lights off and upper metal support bracket off, put tessa tape on metal connections---> rattling still present

As per my experience I feel that the rattling is coming from the upper center windshield area/ technology package area/ headliner area, not from the center dashboard itself but I could be wrong, I'll pay attention to the center speaker grille when this happens again as some have suggested here.

But it could also be that we are having different rattling issues, but the sound you recorded is exactly the same sound I hear when it happens to me!

Finding this one will require a lot of patience as it could be coming from anywhere. Hopefully we will be able to find this bastard!!!

Hey David, thanks for your detailed information!

For me, the noise seems like is coming from the bottom of the windshield where meets the dashboard.

I agree that with all the mods that I have on my car especially the CorkSport RMM, the NVH level increased significantly. And especially when the car starts rolling in first gear or reverse gear, the whole car vibrates like hell and all the plastic parts inside and out are all rattling like crazy as well as the sunroof.

However, from what I’ve found today that the noise only appears when I’m driving in the city with 40-60kph. It disappeared when I’m on highway, anyways I’ll keep monitoring the noise in the future.

And I’ve also tried to press and push on different points on the dash as well as removing the glove box, however nothing helped so far.

My wife was on the passenger seat this morning and she indicated that the noise was from the middle of the dashboard but from my drivers seat I felt like the noise is coming in front of me between the dash and windshield. We have also tried to replicated the noise by hitting various locations under the hood including the plastic part under the wipers but wasn’t able to replicated that noise.

Im planning to 1. re-torque the bolts on the strut bar and 2. Try press the subwoofer grille.

I’ll update the post once I’ve tried these methods.

Thanks again for your reply David!

·
Registered
988 Posts
And especially when the car starts rolling in first gear or reverse gear...

However, from what I’ve found today that the noise only appears when I’m driving in the city with 40-60kph. It disappeared when I’m on highway...
Same here! 1st or 2nd gear between 1500-2500rpm the rattle appears, on highway it disappears as I'm already cruising in 5th or 6th gear.

I'll monitor the rattle as well when it happens, I'll concentrate on the the center dashboard area now and more specifically between the dash and windshield.

Good luck to us! Just don't go too crazy over the rattle, sooner or later will nail this bastard :).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same here! 1st or 2nd gear between 1500-2500rpm the rattle appears, on highway it disappears as I'm already cruising in 5th or 6th gear.

I'll monitor the rattle as well when it happens, I'll concentrate on the the center dashboard area now and more specifically between the dash and windshield.

Good luck to us! Just don't go too crazy over the rattle, sooner or later will nail this bastard :).

Thanks again David! Hope we could figure it out soon!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

It’s Day 2, I pressed a few different spots on the dashboard around the subwoofer grille and somehow the noise disappeared. Not sure if that solved the problem but I’ll keep monitoring the noise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've watched your video and it definitely sounds like its coming from the dashboard or under it. It could be some plastic that got out of a clip, could also be the plastics outside near the windshield. On my older car I had a similar problem and it turns out that it was my driver side wiper arm that was rattling. I couldn't see the blade rattle and it seems to work perfectly but the bolt that held the arm seemed to be loose so I just had it tightened and applied a little WD-40 and the noise was gone.

Reactions: am0s.x

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've watched your video and it definitely sounds like its coming from the dashboard or under it. It could be some plastic that got out of a clip, could also be the plastics outside near the windshield. On my older car I had a similar problem and it turns out that it was my driver side wiper arm that was rattling. I couldn't see the blade rattle and it seems to work perfectly but the bolt that held the arm seemed to be loose so I just had it tightened and applied a little WD-40 and the noise was gone.

Thanks for your reply Rochie!

I’ve also checked basically everything under the hood near that area, seems like nothing was loose.

For the past four years, the car barely makes any noises. So this time I was a little bit scared at first.

I’ve tried to press various locations around the subwoofer grille and the noise magically disappeared, at least I didn’t heard any noise today.

But anyways, I’ll keep listening to the noise and keep updating the post.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for your reply Rochie!

I’ve also checked basically everything under the hood near that area, seems like nothing was loose.

For the past four years, the car barely makes any noises. So this time I was a little bit scared at first.

I’ve tried to press various locations around the subwoofer grille and the noise magically disappeared, at least I didn’t heard any noise today.

But anyways, I’ll keep listening to the noise and keep updating the post.

Thanks again!

You're welcome! I suspect it might be some adhesive around the area that isn't working well anymore. I'm glad some pressure remedied the problem but if it comes back after a bumpy ride then my guess is the adhesives around the dashboard. I must agree, our cars are pretty quiet and any sound as sharp as that I've heard in the video would be alarming. Take care and drive safely!

Reactions: am0s.x

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're welcome! I suspect it might be some adhesive around the area that isn't working well anymore. I'm glad some pressure remedied the problem but if it comes back after a bumpy ride then my guess is the adhesives around the dashboard. I must agree, our cars are pretty quiet and any sound as sharp as that I've heard in the video would be alarming. Take care and drive safely!

Thank you Rochie, I was also wondering if the noise was caused by the bad adhesives around the windshield, which would be fairly difficult to fix..

So hopefully the noise won’t come back, I’ll keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: it’s day 2 and the noise didn’t come back, so hopefully it was the grille which makes the noise. I’ll update again if it comes back.

Thanks everyone for your great help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
So by pressing the dash in front of the speakers, you mean pressing between the grille and the windshield or between the grille and the screen?

Thanks again for your help!

I mean pressing on the screen side of the grille, not the windshield side, about an inch away from the edge of the grille and in line with the center of the grille.

I have driven over some of the trigger spots a couple of times since I did that a few days ago and I haven't heard the rattle. But we haven't had particularly hot weather since then either.

Sounds like maybe you fixed yours. Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I mean pressing on the screen side of the grille, not the windshield side, about an inch away from the edge of the grille and in line with the center of the grille.

I have driven over some of the trigger spots a couple of times since I did that a few days ago and I haven't heard the rattle. But we haven't had particularly hot weather since then either.

Sounds like maybe you fixed yours. Good luck!
Thanks for the clarification, actually I've tried pressing the whole area around the grille and seems like it solved the problem. Thanks for your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts