2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install a Gentex mirror with HomeLink. I've found several constant 12V sources, but cannot find a switched 12V source. Which means I can power the HomeLink but not the auto-dim feature at this point.

Can anyone point me to a switched 12V source in that overhead console on a 2015 S Touring? So far every 12V source I've found is constant. I thought the "blue with black stripe" wire going to the sunroof motor would be switched, but it doesn't seem to be.

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That pic is exactly why I thought the "blue with black stripe" wire would be it. No joy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Instead of tapping switched power in the overhead, why not just pick up one of those "add a fuse" taps, and get your switched +12VDC from the fuse block down at the driver's side kick panel, and run the wire up the A-pillar & across the headliner into the overhead console area? You can pick up ground easy enough in the console area.

That's what I did for my V1 radar detector install ('14 M3S-GT hatch). It was easy, and I didn't even have to remove the A-pillar or headliner plastics, cut anything or splice factory wires.

If you open the door, you'll notice there is a soft plastic/rubber trim piece that covers the edge of the hard plastic A-pillar & kick panel trim pieces. You just gently peel back the soft trim piece a bit and feed the wire into the gap between the two pieces. There's plenty of room under there for the wire to run without being pinched or grabbed by anything - almost like a conduit. When you get to the top of the windshield, you kind of fish the wire thru to the other side, so it comes out in the corner between the headliner plastic and the windshield. There's also a wide enough gap between the headliner and the glass for you to feed the wire in, where it just lays in there, and you just follow that route until you get it where you need it in the overhead console area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts