2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Mazda 3 and I was interested in purchasing an aftermarket head unit. I primarily want a new one so I can use Bluetooth from my phone to listen to music. I do not like the looks of the small head units and I would like to keep my display that shows the time and temp. So I have been looking at bigger units with touchscreens that will look better in the car. Everything I'm finding is Chinese. I would prefer to buy a head unit from the United States and that I could take back or call a customer number if something goes wrong. Everyone seems to be recommending Eonon. Are there no units like these that aren't a Chinese brand or do regular dvd units from brands like alpine and kenwood not look good or work well? Also, I would like the volume and skip buttons on my steering wheel to work. If you guys could please give me you recommendations on what to do, it would be very appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can only speak to the Eonon one, since it's what I have in my '08 3s. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm considering buying one for my wife's '06 3s, except that the one thing the unit *doesn't* have is input for satellite radio, and we've got a lifetime Sirius (bought before it was Sirius XM) subscription that needs the 6-disc/MP3 Mazda unit to work correctly, it seems.

I freaking love the Eonon unit. For the price, it offers an awful lot - CD, MP3, DVD, SD Card reader, USB input (one in front, one from the back), Bluetooth, iPod control integration and connection cable, Navigation, backup camera input, TV Tuner (if you're really into that) - plus it works with the steering wheel controls and the little LCD readout already in the dash. I really just couldn't be happier with it, unless the Bluetooth would stay paired or connect with my phone automatically when I got in the car (which it might, and maybe I just haven't found the setup for it yet).

I keep a stash of SC cards and thumb drives in the car with all sorts of stuff on them - music, comedy albums, history podcasts (Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" is *amazing*!), whatever - and I'm never out of stuff to listen to on the road. Often as not, though, I just listen to Spotify playlists through my phone.

I cannot say whether Pioneer (one of the few US brands, I think) offers anything similar. I know the Eonon unit looks like it should have come from the factory, it's so OEM-looking.

I'm working on installing a backup camera for mine, as well as running the iPod cable and the rear USB down the center dash into the ashtray location for use as auxiliary inputs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Eonon GM5151, and I will say I think it was worth the money. It's not ultra fast or fancy like the $800 Pioneer AVICs or anything, but it really does what it does just fine. I use it for bluetooth audio streaming, phone calls, and grabbed iGo for navigation.

It's nice that it supports Miracast, so I can stream netflix from my phone if I want to, but I use it 90% of the time just to stream Spotify.

BTW, Kwicko, my phone connects automatically every time I get in the car. It might be a setting in your phone too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
"BTW, Kwicko, my phone connects automatically every time I get in the car. It might be a setting in your phone too."

Thanks, man - I'll have to check it out. I'm on a Galaxy Note II (Android 4.4 OS), so I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My kenwood hasn't had any problems. I think there is a how to somewhere on how to wire them up to the steering wheel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts