2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

So with winter around the corner, I've been looking at tires to replace my all seasons. Problem is I'm new to this kinda thing and having trouble deciding between two different setups and was wondering if anyone could help out

Setup 1:
Winter: 15 Inch Steel Rims, 195/65R15 Conti ExtremeWinterContact
Summer: Enkei Racing RPF1 16x7 wheels, 205/55ZR16 Conti ExtremeContact DW
Summer Wheel Weight: 32.7 lbs
Total Price (on TireRack): $2007.96

Setup 2:
Winter: Stock 16 inch Alloys, 205/55R16 XL Conti ExtremeWinterContact
Summer: Enkei Tuning 17x7.5 wheels, 205/50ZR17 XL Conti ExtremeContact DW
Summer Wheel Weight: 35.8 lbs
Total Price (on TireRack): $1792

So I guess the crux of the question is shaving 3lbs off each corner is worth $200?

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crap, just realized I posted in the wrong forum. Mods could you move this to the 2010-2013 Mazda 3 & Skyactiv Wheels and Tires forum? Thanks

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Both your summer options are super light...it's a tough choice because although the more expensive option is a few pounds lighter and a touch more comfortable, the cheaper option will give you better handling (17x7.5 vs 16x7) and I think the Fujins look better...especially since the 16" choice is RPF1, which looks even smaller than it is because of the lip design...RPF1s seem to look 1" smaller than they really are IMHO)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So for better handling (since I intend to autocross come summer) I'd go with the bigger wheels over the lighter ones? I'm actually not sure what wheel weight affects...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Larger and wider wheels will handle better but lighter wheels will improve your acceleration...since both your options are pretty light, it might be that you might want to sacrifice a few pounds for improved handling. It's a harder comparison since the wheels are different...for example if you were comparing a 16x7 vs 17x7 RPF1, I would say the improved handling of the larger wheel would outweigh the very small weight difference (0.9 lb) between them wrt autoX.

So for better handling (since I intend to autocross come summer) I'd go with the bigger wheels over the lighter ones? I'm actually not sure what wheel weight affects...

·
Registered
44 Posts
You could also look in to 1995-1996 Millenia wheels if you were looking for some light 15 inchers for winter. I got five of them for 160 (cheaper than steelies. They are about 11.5 lbs each and in my opinion they are not bad looking at all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright guys, thanks! I think I'll go with the cheaper option. Now to wait for the next AutoX season :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts