2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2015 mazda 3 iSport. The vehicle came with stock 16’s steelies. I’m looking to upgrade to Mazdaspeed wheels which I have found. The Mazdaspeed wheels are 18’s, tire size 225/40 with a bolt pattern of 5x114. My question is, will I run into any problems going 2 sizes up? for example I read somewhere the speedometer might be off by 5mph and also the MPG may lower, is this correct? anyone done anything similar have seen this issue? Also, how would the 18’s fit in my vehicle, I do not want the tire to be scratching the body if i hit a bump on the road. I’m not too concerned with the wheel gap as long as its not huge, would you assume it would look relative similar to this picture? I’m looking to get some feedback from anyone that has either done this or know of someone before I make the purchase.

Thanks!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XWN8NaAualU/VNjB8QDBh5I/AAAAAAAAWbo/U0A-wwK_zdQ/s1600/2015_mazda3_speed_01.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Those are the stock 18" rims that comes with the car. But they're 45 series tires not 40.
Also the gap is horrendous. You won't run at all. I'm lowered on corksport's which is 1.75" front and 2" rear and haven't rubbed once.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gap horrendous? is it that bad? I don’t want to lower the car because of terrible weather here sometimes but I don’t want a huge gap neither.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nanxun, I actually haven’t. Those are not the exact rims but they are the same size it seems, and they look to be pretty good on the car. I’m still concerned on the whole MPG/Mileage if anyone has any feedback?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
OEM 18-inch rims on the Gen1 Speed3's are supposed to weigh about 24 lbs each. IIRC, the OEM 16-inch steelies on the iSport weigh about the same. Depending on the weight of R18 tires, weights of rim/tire combos should be roughly the same, give or take a couple of pounds per corner....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts