2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember the trim selections but mine was the second from the top and has larger wheels at 18". I currently have snow tires on the car and the OEM wheels and tires are in storage. I have snow chains for my winter tire/wheel combo.

However I have the need to have snow chains if possible for the summer tires. We are planning a potential trip to Socal from snow country and would like to put the summer tires on and have the option for chains if conditions call for that. Can anyone suggest chains that would fit my summer tires?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The tires are 215/45/18.

I ordered some chains to fit from Etrailer.com. I will try to let you know how they fit.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I used the socks myself. Much easier to take on and off. Turn wheel all the way to a direction, slip on a little over halfway, drive fwd or backward a little then slip on the rest of the way. Easier if you have a second hand but can be done by oneself. They also store easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The tires are 215/45/18.

I ordered some chains to fit from Etrailer.com. I will try to let you know how they fit.
What did you order, and how did they fit?

Thanks!
Mike

P.S. This thread doesn't show up in searches for "chains" in 2014-2018 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Wheels and Tires, though a later one that I started does. What gives?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used the socks myself. Much easier to take on and off. Turn wheel all the way to a direction, slip on a little over halfway, drive fwd or backward a little then slip on the rest of the way. Easier if you have a second hand but can be done by oneself. They also store easier.
What socks did you get?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What socks did you get?

Something very similar to this. Only downside is 25mph limit in speed, but you'll be amazed at the traction they give.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Also something that should be noted with socks. When you get to destination and it's below freezing and you expect to be there for a while, you have to remove them from the tires and hang them out to dry or they have a tendency to freeze to the ground and get damaged when you start moving again. chains don't suffer this issue, but the socks are also pretty easy to install and remove. Just turn the tire all the way one direction so you can get your hands in there. then all the way the other direction for the other tire.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
With respect to chains on a fwd car... the disparity in traction, frt versus back is pretty extreme. This can lead to car control issues, i.e the rear being 'way more "active" than the frt. Also braking... the rear can come swinging around upon braking. For the same reason having studded tires only on the frt is a no-no, or winter tires only on the frt...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
r... the disparity in traction, frt versus back is pretty extreme. This can lead to car control issues, i.e the rear being 'way more "active" than the frt. Also braking... the rear can come swinging
I dunno about that, I think it's just a matter of driving to the conditions. I find that the mazda3 does just fine in snow and ice if not better than most 4wd vehicles. But I'm doing 20-30 in a blizzard not 40+.

-Kevin

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Shorter wheelbase fwd vehicles generally are VG in snow. Longer WB fwd cars, not so much. I contrast my 99 Corolla versus my 99 Camry. Agree, re driving for the conditions.

A rwd car, as used to be 'real common... we'd typically only buy snows for the rear and add ballast to the trunk. That'd equalize traction, frt to rear. A fwd car, engine wt up frt, lotsa traction up frt, lousy in back... typically we'd put four snows on it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My recent experience on the icy tahoe roads, with basically new DWS06 tires, I was doing better with tires than most did with chains. But, it also just goes towards understanding the conditions and how you drive in them and you won't have too many problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts