2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a Sunday afternoon drive I parked the car outside the garage ready for a wash.
Went upstairs and decide not to wash .I was only 2 mins away and just as I was going to open the door
and the car rolled backwards .The car was in first gear and handbrake was on. Jumped in and yank it harder and stopped .
never this happen to me before. Just a bit of history I when for a service @ 70000kms and they redid the handbrake as in re-tension it.
What could have lead to this ? Anyone who has thoughts on this
I am ringing tomorrow the dealership to see whats going to happen

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
They didnt setup the handbrake properly.
I once had a Kia that would regularly roll away unless, I appplied the handbrake to the last click, let it settle, then yank the hanbrake again, only discover another click was there to be had. I had it setup properly at its next service. Never went wrong again, sold it after 5 years with no further adjustments.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps .But I never seen a car roll backwards in 1st gear .Would there be any damage to this ?
Spoke to another mechanic and he said that you should stick to OEM products for Mazda and some other brands dont do too well

Cheers

·
Registered
522 Posts
Left in 1st or in reverse is really wise. Even if brake were totally off - usually it would not move if it was in gear. I can't explain it. In any case, do check that brake cables slide freely. I also personally push the button while pulling the emerg. brake handle; I don't want to wear out the ratchet mechanism.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I assume you have a MT, was the car still in first gear when you yanked the handbrake? Might have jumped out of gear. A car in first gear with a MT will rotate the engine at hundreds of RPM when rolling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I originally looked into buying a used 3 when I was ready to buy my car, but I avoided the '14-15 models specifically because I heard about possible "parking brake" issues. The '16 model was better, but still wasn't "good enough" for me. My wife would also be driving the 3, so god forbid if the car rolled backwards while she was loading/unloading anything from the trunk.

I prefer a traditional hand brake vs the electronic parking brake, but I'll take the "safer" option if push comes to shove.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,200 Posts
When the parking brake is properly maintained and the recall has been addressed, there should be nothing to worry about. If the car starts to roll, its because either the brake has not been set properly or its out of adjustment and need to be serviced. If the car rolls backwards while in gear, there are other issues...
How long since the parking brake adjustment?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh, I just noticed that you said it was in gear.
I have no explanation as to why it rolled then. Was it still in gear whe n you stopped it?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My driveway is steep perhaps 3m (From garage opening to road )drop over 10m length .But then
it flattens before I enter into the garage . and yes the car is 6sp manual.
The thing I parked the car before entering the garage went upstairs then changed my mind and came back to park in the garage .( Was going to wash it )
A side note is that I changed the rear pads and not the dealership and notice that the spring on the calipers didnt come back when disengaged .I changed the pads prior to the 60000k service
The thing is that after the last service at 60000kms I mention that the back end creaks when after I park in the garage took a look and adjusted the handbrake.
So after the 70000kms service it happened .I never had a car go backwards while still in gear and handbrake up.
The car was still in gear when I jumped in but the handbrake was at 90 degrees when I janked it fully. After they re adjusted it to which its fully activated with 3 clicks in the handbrake.
Added bonus they updated the MZD to the latest version .
Another mechanic noted when asked was that Mazda braking system dont like third party pads .This is be addressed when the rear pads come up for change and will use OEM pads

cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When the parking brake is properly maintained and the recall has been addressed, there should be nothing to worry about. If the car starts to roll, its because either the brake has not been set properly or its out of adjustment and need to be serviced. If the car rolls backwards while in gear, there are other issues...
How long since the parking brake adjustment?
I dont seem to find any recall in Australia .Perhaps it has some merit here as Im a case Mazda Australia will soon hear about

cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Mazda Oz said someone will ring 3 days .Surprise Surprise no one rang so after 2 weeks I rang them. Same day someone with no mech training starts telling me all about Mazda procedures.I said that Im uneasy with the potential or human carnage or property damage ..Again and again he quote the gospel according to Mazda Oz even thou I supplied a US Mazda recall on this very subject.He said that if you have concern bring it back to the dealership or ring and talk to the head Tech.after the gospel re reading I just hung up.Thats Mazda Oz .....although I would thank the dealership for its swift response

1 - 14 of 14 Posts