2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent about 8 hours unsuccessfully trying to update my nav card. On the last attempt, Toolbox told me to reformat the SD card before it asked to back up the card. I couldn't find a back up I did earlier, so I didn't reformat. The card still works in the car.

Where does it save the back up? Should I reformat the card if I can't find the back up? Is the dealer likely to be helpful with this? Is the a compelling reason to update from February 2018 to July 2018?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Before doing anything to the SD that works in the car!

A couple of questions...so you were able to update the current SD to July 2018 from Feb 2018? So you updated to July 2018 but Mazda won't allow you to do an online backup or they won't let you do an online back up of Feb 2018? Is this the first time you have attempted to update your SD? If not then you should have other backups from previous updates? Correct as it is part of the updating process.

The possible cause of the formatting issue is that the SD media was not properly ejected from your computer previously and got corrupted...I know it seems innocuous and usually doesn't cause problems most of the time, but all storage type media including things like Ipods should be ejected using the computers taskbar eject function and not just ejected. Media does and can get corrupted if not ejected properly.

Others might have different suggestions, but you should get another SD card. Format it properly. Do a copy and paste of the 2 or 3 files from the "corrupt" SD card to your computer's desk top. Then copy those files back onto the new SD card. You need to copy and paste each file individually. One file just takes a few seconds and the other file takes several minutes...like 10 or so minutes depending on the speed of your computer. Then insert that new card into Mazda toolbox and see if it recognizes it properly along with inserting in your car's nav.

Unless they have changed anything in their recent application updates, Mazda toolbox does not let you make copies directly from Mazda toolbox, but you can easily make copies as I have described above. I do it after each semi annual update. Both my copies along with the Mazda SD are properly recognized by Mazda toolbox.

I believe they do it automatically, but also make sure the application is the latest version. They've had 2-3 updates in the last 6 months.

Obviously, do not reformat the "corrupt" card that still works in the car without doing everything else first or you will just make your recovery more tedious. You want to keep what you have working until you don't need it any longer.

In regards to your question about the dealer helping you...that's a hit or miss depending on dealer. You will probably get quicker and better service from Mazda Toolbox support team along with fixing yourself. The nav card seems to be something most dealers are helpless in servicing when there are issues.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before doing anything to the SD that works in the car!

A couple of questions...so you were able to update the current SD to July 2018 from Feb 2018? So you updated to July 2018 but Mazda won't allow you to do an online backup or they won't let you do an online back up of Feb 2018?
I had Feb18, I couldn't get July18. I believe I backed up Feb18, but I can't find it. I don't think I ever ejected the SD incorrectly, and I don't believe I was ever able to get to the Naviester server. Another complication os that I can no longer open Toolbox on my office computer, so I switched to another laptop in the middle of all this.

At least I seem to still have a working nav system. I don't use it much but sometimes it's helpful and it's way easier to start than any other GPS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but I would like to share my experience with you. Last night, I spent four hours but download only 12% of the NA maps. I decided to cancel the download. The Mazda Tools application froze at the point. I forced the application to close and restart the program. The second attempt took about one hour to download the whole map and install to my SD card. However, the program then said my SD card is invalid.
This morning I took the car for a spin and inserted the SD card. It took about a minute to lock my actual location but it seemed fine afterward.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hans, On the toolbox homescreen there is a settings menu. There you should find your back ups if you have them. Also, there is an SD diagnostic tool that may or may not fix the SD as well.

Beyond that, Uninstall and reinstall Mazda toolbox. Latest version is 4.4. As you know windows just had a new updated version where some people lost data. I'm not suggesting that occurred for you, but Microsoft updates are well known for changing settings for the computer and programs, particularly after major version updates.

Personally, I did a whole computer and MS reinstall this past week and had to reinstall Mazda toolbox. Microsoft indicated an error on the SD card, but then scanned and no problems. Just now just checked and everything was fine.

Also, the Mazda toolbox does/will confirm what version of maps you have installed

Keep us updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts