2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post. After driving the requisite 63 miles, I downloaded Mazda Toolbox and attempted to update the SD card. It recognized the VIN info on the card. I started the backup process and it successfully downloaded the files, but toward the end of the installation process I got an error message saying the process was interrupted (no idea why). When I tried doing the backup again it said the process couldn't be done and try again later. After a few tries, then Toolbox gave an error message saying the card was invalid, even though it still showed my VIN and other info.

The card still seems to work in my car as it recognizes the card and brings up the map.

Besides asking for suggestions on how to rectify this problem, I'd appreciate it if someone would also describe what the rest of the process would have been had the download and install process been successful, rather than the install getting interrupted? Would it then tell me to insert a blank SD card on which to place the backup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, first post. After driving the requisite 63 miles, I downloaded Mazda Toolbox and attempted to update the SD card. It recognized the VIN info on the card. I started the backup process and it successfully downloaded the files, but toward the end of the installation process I got an error message saying the process was interrupted (no idea why). When I tried doing the backup again it said the process couldn't be done and try again later. After a few tries, then Toolbox gave an error message saying the card was invalid, even though it still showed my VIN and other info.

The card still seems to work in my car as it recognizes the card and brings up the map.

Besides asking for suggestions on how to rectify this problem, I'd appreciate it if someone would also describe what the rest of the process would have been had the download and install process been successful, rather than the install getting interrupted? Would it then tell me to insert a blank SD card on which to place the backup?

Thanks!
I had this same error trying to update maps when I bought my new 2017 mazda 3 and it was under 120km. Backup into another 16GB SD Card fine, but unable to update new maps. Problem fixed after 120km.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The SD card still works in my car but when I try and do an update, I can't get past the backup stage. When I initiate the backup I keep getting an error message telling me the backup failed, and try again later.

Anyone else have this problem and have any solutions? No matter when "later" is, I keep getting that same message.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you tried to skip the backup process ? and do directly the updating ? or use another pc/laptop and another card reader..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried to skip the backup process ? and do directly the updating ? or use another pc/laptop and another card reader..
I ended up copying the SD card to my hard drive then copying that to another SD card. I used that 2nd SD card for the update in Mazda Toolbox. I still got the backup failure message so I skipped the backup and downloaded the updates. That worked, and that 2nd card works in my car, too. So I just copied that 2nd card onto a file on my hard drive to keep as the updated backup file, and still have the original SD unupdated card in a safe place.

I used freeware called HDD Raw Copy Tool that someone had mentioned in another Mazda forum post. It worked perfectly, imaging the original SD card on my hard drive, from which I used to make the 2nd SD card that got updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts