2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using google maps/nav for the last few years and I think it is much more accurate with time estimates and traffic (thus route alternatives) than any other GPS nav system. But I do like using the Nav system in the M3 I recently bought. I think one thing that would improve it is if the NAV system "learned" a driver's speed tendencies, like if you usually drive say 8 miles over the speed limit. I've only had the car for a couple of weeks so maybe it does that? I'm thinking not though.

But I remember years ago I had a standalone GPS unit which had a file on the SD card on which were some parameters for assumed speed for different given speed limits. Once I edited those values the route suggestions and time predictions were much more accurate. For example I could enter an assumed 30 in a 25 zone and 55 in a 45 zone as opposed to just a blanket 10 miles over. Is there a way to do this with the Mazda NAV system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but the Nav does have a historical database of traffic speeds that it is supposed to use when choosing routes. I think it is updated as you drive, but I can't confirm that. The nav is actually quite full featured, but many of its abilities are hidden by the interface. It really grows on you the more you use it. The only thing I still miss is live traffic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
But I remember years ago I had a standalone GPS unit which had a file on the SD card on which were some parameters for assumed speed for different given speed limits. Once I edited those values the route suggestions and time predictions were much more accurate. For example I could enter an assumed 30 in a 25 zone and 55 in a 45 zone as opposed to just a blanket 10 miles over. Is there a way to do this with the Mazda NAV system?

Thanks!
I'm not aware of any way to do what you are suggesting with the Mazda Nav system, at least not with the infotainment version, perhaps the older TomTom systems are different. But not sure you need to anyway, as far as I can tell the estimated time of arrival is based on your current speed not on the speed limits on the roads you are travelling on, the time of arrival changes as you proceed through your trip (if you get stuck in a traffic jam for example the time of arrival will have time added on to it). So time of arrival might not be that accurate when you first start your trip but once you have been driving for a period of time it gets more accurate.

Now if they would just update it properly so it would have current roads and speed limits (at least where I live the maps are about 1-2 years out of date, if not more, example would be the street I live on, it was extended at one end about 1/2km or so 3 years ago and that extension is still not on the Nav system!) and if Mazda would give us live traffic back in North America it would be a half decent Nav system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see what you are saying about the time prediction adjusting during the trip, but that's not the same as predicting accurately BEFORE you choose which of the available routes to take.

Google maps has become VERY good at accounting for traffic and assumed speeds to offer the fastest route. I used to 2nd guess its suggestions sometimes when I was in a familiar area and thought I knew better. Every time I was wrong.

So now for comparison I've been loading my destination into Google and into Mazda to get a feel for the mazda system. Rarely had Mazda agreed with Google and when it does agree on the route the time prediction is quite different. For example, a 2.5hr trip yesterday was accurately anticipated as such by Google but predicted as 3hr by Mazda.

Maybe it is simply the live traffic data Google uses. How would Mazda be able to do that without streaming data access? Is that kind of data streamable through HD radio?

I agree it's a really nice nav system to use, that why I wish I could completely trust its accuracy and dispense with Google maps when I'm in this car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe it is simply the live traffic data Google uses. How would Mazda be able to do that without streaming data access? Is that kind of data streamable through HD radio?

I agree it's a really nice nav system to use, that why I wish I could completely trust its accuracy and dispense with Google maps when I'm in this car.
Connected services provides live traffic (wifi connection through your mobile phone) but that service isn't available in North America anymore, Mazda ended the service here in 2014, they even went so far as to remove wifi from the firmware, though you can get wifi back using the AIO tool, it isn't of much use without connected services.

You could try installing Android Auto if you want to use Google maps on the Mazda infotainment system. Not supported by Mazda and a bit buggy but some are using it. Just a word of caution though, if you do try it it is at your own risk, a few people have ended up with a boot loop problem after installing AA and then doing a reset. There is a separate thread in the forum for Android Auto that explains it all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that file editable simply with a text editor? That's how it worked with my old standalone gps. I've got a backup copy of the nav card on my pc so I'll look for that file when I have a moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts