2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '16 Mazda3 Grand Touring hatch. Every once in a while, the nav screen goes black for anywhere from a few seconds to an estimated minute. If the light's right, I can still make out that there's an image, so apparently it's just the screen illumination cutting out. Anyone know the cause and cure?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Have you tried to update to the latest MZD firmware? I would recommend to at least install FW 70.00.352, as with this version, if I remember that correct, a bug was fixed called something like "display turns to black screen due to the back light of the display turning off" - this might be the fix you need. When this does not help, it might be a hardware issue.
Inofficial downloadlink (firmware+manual - stick to it to the word and read it before the update): 70.00.352 - or latest 70.00.367 - which firmware version do you have installed at the moment?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its a know problem for those years.
And yes, there is a new firmware that might help, my car doesnt do that but I get the update from the dealer anyway, it cost me like 40

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a know problem for those years. And yes, there is a new firmware that might help, my car doesnt do that but I get the update from the dealer anyway, it cost me like 40
Wow! I just took it to my nearest dealer, Maxon Mazda in Union, NJ. Told them the problem and told them I thought it needed new firmware. They said this was not something I could do myself, and charged me $399.95 for the firmware and $250 for labor! I think I need to take that up with Mazda!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just for new firmware? That`s a ripp off. It takes 5-15 minutes to download the latest FW for the dealer - and approx. 40 minutes to install it (and you do not have to be in the car for that) - so even if they charge you 1 hour for the "work" of installing a new firmware, thats a pretty amazing hourly pay! I first would ask the dealer, if its some sort of mistake which he wants to correct? Only after that I would ask Mazda directly for help: Mazda USA contact info (at the bottom): Contact Us | Mazda USA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts