2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED! Nav screen flashing with left blinker?

After installing 4 led turns and a pair of rear 3Ohm load resistors in the rear, my turns are flashing normally and no dash warnings are being lit...except now when the left blinker is on, the nav screen dims and brightens in sync with the blinker. The right blinker is normal.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow! have you tried to put the old bulb back to see if the problem persists? maybe it has to do the resistor install.
Still does it with the old bulb. I'm guessing it has to do with the resistor install as that is the only thing I did before it started, but I checked the connections and it all looks fine...also, the fact that the right side is fine and neither side is hyperblinking (which they definitely were before resistor install). Besides that, why the f would the dimming function of the nav screen be sync'd with the turn signal!?:argh 1:

Interestingly, this is only evident in bright screen mode with no lights turned on...with parking or headlights on, which dims the screen, it no longer flickers between dim/bright. I guess I'll never forget to leave the left blinker on during daylight hours! LOL!

·
Registered
127 Posts
i am assuming you install a resistor per side? try to swap the resistor (since the right side works fine), maybe a bad/too hi/too lo value resistor.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One 3 Ohm per side. I've ordered another LR and will be removing the current left LR and removing the splices from the signal wires...will repair the wires with heat shrink butt splice connectors and then redo with the new LR and new splices.

i am assuming you install a resistor per side? try to swap the resistor (since the right side works fine), maybe a bad/too hi/too lo value resistor.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New LRs have not yet arrived but I did remove the current left LR and repaired the wires. Obv the hyperflash is back but the left turn still syncs with the nav screen. This also remains if I remove both rear led turns.

Could it be the front led bulbs themselves? I did notice that the right front one doesn't always come on with the parking lights, though it always blinks with turns on, albeit with no hyperflash.

I'm so confused with todays new observations.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: Swapped out the LRs with new ones...no hyperflashing on either side but Nav screen still sync'd to left blinker...I have new LEDs coming...if that doesn't work I think I may be going to the dealer as I doubt it has to do with the LEDs/LRs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am sure you know this fact but just in case, for other users here. I would put everything back to OEM especially the wiring that you had spliced etc. If dealer sees any modification to the electrical system, it might not honor the warranty. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it was definitely a bad LED front turn signal. I received my switchbacks in the mail and installed them and that did the trick!

It still amazes me that a bad signal bulb could cause the blinker to be sync'd with the Nav screen dimming settings.

Maybe it was the car demanding I upgrade my front turn signals from 18 diode amber to 45 diode switchbacks! :tongue:

Better lights and problem solved...it was a good car day.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, sounds like it was actually blinding the light sensor, or changing the voltage on the light sensor's circuit.

The dealer says autodimming works on mine, but it only seems to work on the headlights, not the Navi. O-o

-Crissa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts