2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about just having a muffler shop weld on two of these from ebay, the N1 or JDM or Spec D mufflers. Get like two of them off ebay and have a muffler shop do a catback type thing with it for me.

Hopefully less than $300?

What do you guys think about having a muffler shop replace my resonator with a pipe and then replacing the stock muffler with two of these?

·
Banned
842 Posts
Any muffler I choose to use on a platform I make sure that they at least flow the CFM an engine could generate. The MAZDA has a single exhaust you can not add 2 mufflers with less then its CFM capability and have equate to the needed flow rate that will be needed at higher engine speeds. Without it you will reduce the power output and also cause temperature to raise in a negative way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I gotcha, so what would you recommend for a cheap exhaust setup that a muffler shop can do that isn't completely straight piped from catback from also fairly cheap. The mazda has one muffler with two exits so if I get a louder muffler like a super 10 and then have them do piping for the two exits with nice tips would that work? Also the res delete.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Resonator delete... there is a tread about it, the car looses power huge...

from what Im reading, axle back exhaust is the way to go...

and a beat racing exhaust just cost a bit more...

maybe in my country that labor is so CHEAP, your idea could work.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Okay I gotcha, so what would you recommend for a cheap exhaust setup that a muffler shop can do that isn't completely straight piped from catback from also fairly cheap. The mazda has one muffler with two exits so if I get a louder muffler like a super 10 and then have them do piping for the two exits with nice tips would that work? Also the res delete.
I RECOMMEND that you talk with the Muffler shop that your are planning on have the work done. If it is quality shop they will give you good advise and also sell you something that they will warranty. You may also ask them about an exchange should the muffler not sound as expected. Some quality shops will do this for their customers.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Oh hey hi I missed out on this thread while I was gone. I used the 2.5" inlet 4" outlet N1 muffler on my 3 (single exit to driver's side) and love the sound. Just took the old stock muffler off and had the new N1 welded up. Nothing was modified beyond that.

Now, with that being said. eBay mufflers are hit and miss. Some of the older N1 mufflers have fiberglass inside of the muffler and can catch fire when welding the muffler to the exhaust pipe so be very weary of this. Luckily we caught it in time and it didn't mess up the bumper.

Another option (which is one I'm going to experiment with soon as my N1 has oxidized and looks terrible), you can take the stock muffler off, and do a Y pipe exit on the single pipe coming out to split it and run a Vibrant resonator on each end, then tip the exhaust at the rear valence exit points. I've seen it done on a 2.5L and it sounds great, I'm sure it'll sound as good on a 2.0L as well. I have an exhaust clip somewhere around here of my setup but it's low quality. Will try and make a new video when I do the new exhaust setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts