2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mazda N00b
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I just recently bought a 2012 Mazda 3i GT with SkyActiv, and have been looking for suggestions on easy mods to begin with. I am not very experienced in working on my car (first car), so any and all help will be very appreciated. I am good with tools and my hands (I am an engineer), so I think this is in my wheelhouse. ;) I have heard about several mods so far (replacing stock sway bar, lowering suspension, adding mudflaps, painting, etc). What I am most interested in is increased performance and looks. What I mean by looks includes the painting, the lowering, installing interior LEDs, stuff like that. Any suggestions, how-to's, and help is welcomed and appreciated. I cant wait to get my hands greasy!

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts

·
Mazda N00b
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just started looking through "What Did You Do To Your Mazda 3 Skyactiv Today?" to get ideas. I think this forum will have plenty of those at least! Thank you for the useful links!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hey there and welcome!!
For performance I'd recommend the Corksport SRI and their exhaust...you will love the sound and get a little gains at higher rpms.
As for looks or aesthetics there are so many options, just depends what route you want to take and how much you want to spend/do.
You can do a complete retrofit on your headlights, add led's, halos, rope led and paint the housing. Eyelids, lip, side skirt extensions, rear bumper flairs, led footwells and led engine bay lights. New wheels or dip/paint your stocks.
You can even do a complete car wrap or dip!!!
There are lots of good sites to order from and member's are always willing to help you out!!
As mentioned the build threads are a great place to get ideas.

·
Mazda N00b
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Repair Manual?

Does anyone know where I can find a physical copy of the repair manual for the 2012 Mazda 3i GT with Skyactiv? All I can find are digital copies... :frown2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fellow first time car owner and engineer, so far I have added the James Barone Racing short ram intake. Installation was super easy and quick, did it myself in about 20-30 minutes. Would highly recommend this or the Corksport short ram intake, both are built to fit the Skyactiv engine easily and sound great, also make the throttle more responsive and add a bit of power. The JBR intake is only $180 also, and has a well-built MAF sensor housing (have seen some minor complaints/adjustments to Corksport's).
I installed footwell LEDs but didnt like them much and they were a hassle so I returned them. All in all, start with an SRI!

·
Mazda N00b
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have looked into them, and found one that would work great: Corksport Air Intake, but I was wondering about the engine tuning. According to a couple of sources, adding a cold air intake might be irrelevant after the ECU readjusts, or could be detrimental if the ECU does not. I am wondering what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are looking for an Intake I would recommend JBR from what I've read on here, and from what I've read on Orange Virus tuning. The maf design on the JBR is of a higher quality than the corksport. That's just what I've read so take it with a grain of salt, but it is what it is. Whatever intake you get you should look into getting a tune to see any noticeable gains. I got the Orange virus tune but I'm still waiting for it to ship.

·
Mazda N00b
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where do you get tunes and how do you apply them? Also, any idea on how to change governor settings? I just looked into the JBR filter, and they look much nicer. Mod #2 is about to be ordered!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts