2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here you will find info/hints about the MZD I connect firmware (2014-2018) which is available in different Mazdas like the Mazda 3, 6, 2, CX-5, CX-3, CX-9, MX-5 and perhaps other - and which looks like this:

(c) Tristan-cx5

This post is not about the new MZD II entertainment system (introduced in the new Mazda 3 2019+), which has new hardware and firmware - for details see the thread "CONNECT UPDATE FIRMWARE 7th Generation".

To get to know your MZD firmware version go to settings -> system (top right) -> about (down) -> version information.

There is no need in doing a firmware update, but it could fix some bugs. Your car will work even without an MZD installed - I tested it myself and drove with a removed MZD. It only has reading- and changing-access to some other modules, but is not needed for most other modules to work properly (except e.g. the TAU: AM/FM/DAB tuner).

All inofficially available MZD I firmware is available at Modfreakz`s server.

It is a collection of MZD I firmware (FW), which was collected by users. So if you want to have a new FW version online at this server, try to organize it at your dealer and send it to Modfreakz. No begging for new firmware please, as it won`t have any impact. Usually new firmware is released by Mazda not at the same time for each region. So be patient if the latest firmware is not yet available for your region.

At the server you should select the FW according to your region (NA N = North Amerika, EU N= Europe; 4AN = ADR = Asia Pacific; no code = MAZ = regionless - no firmware available; JP = Japan = no firmware available). Details about the region code and countries can be found in the CP/AA Install Info.

The current firmware update procedure manual PDF is available in each region folder. Originally this manual is for the dealers only. Mazda did not intend to let endusers do this procedure. Read it before doing an update. Stick to the word to the PDF, as otherwise you can brick your MZD (a new MZD module called CMU is around 1000 USD).

Formerly (before current FW 70.00.335) there were two update files, but from FW 70.00.335 onwards it is only one firmware update file. The dealers only have access to the latest firmware in their system. Outdated firmware can be found in the folder "z Develop Firmware/Outdated Firmware" of Modfreakz`s server.

If you have a FW below 31.00.100 (older Mazda 3 only), install FW 31.00.100 first, before you update to the latest FW. From any FW higher or equal 31.00.100 you can update directly to the latest FW (at the time of writing/2019-08 it is 70.00.335) - e.g. if you have a FW 55, 56 or 59, you can directly update to FW 70.

Usually there are no changlogs available - so do not ask "what`s new in the new firmware version". Some changelogs are available in each region folder. Usually it`s bugfixing and that`s it. No new features. Especially in regards to the new developed MZD II, this is only logical.

Do not try to unpack the update file (*.up). Just copy it to a FAT32 fomatted usb flash drive. At best use Windows for formatting/copying, as with MAC there occured problems sometimes (wrong FAT format or hidden files).

Some usb sticks do not work properly. This is recognizable if the MZD does not display that the usb stick is recognized after plugging the stick in. Then try another usb stick or check the format.

To avoid problems at best check your usb stick and check the checksum/hashes of the downloaded firmware file - see this folder for more details. There e.g. could be some differences between the file at the server and your downloaded file (some bits/bystes missing) and this could lead to a non working or faulty FW update.

Everything you do is on your own risk. If you do not want to update, don`t do it. You can ask your dealer to do it - e.g. at the next inspection. There is no necessity for you to perform a firmware update by yourself. And Mazda only intends to let a firmware update be performed by Mazda dealers (or other workshops).

The duration of the installation is different for each region, as different language packs are installed. It may take around 30-60 minutes.

Genuine Mazda Android Auto (AA) and Apple Carplay (CP) is available from FW 70 onwards, if you have installed the new usb hub and 2 cables (or your new car is equipped from factory with it). But you can install FW 70 - even if you do not want to use AA/CP. For more AA/CP update details - see this information.

This thread is NOT about tweaks, AIO tweaks, AIO AA or serial connection. See other threads about these topics.

If you want to - at least FW 70.00.335 can be installed over the same FW version again and again. Usually there is no need for doing so, but technically it is possible.

Firmware downgrades are usually not necessary, as a newer FW versions fixes bugs. A FW downgrade is technically possible from FW 70 as down as FW 59.00.502. From FW 59.00.502 and higher FW the installation of tweaks via usb ports is no possible anymore (from factory, workarounds available). A firmware downgrade from FW smaller than 59.00.502 is also possible ... but why would anyone do this. I read in the forum, that for a more safe firmware downgrade should use the FW update manual PDF, but you should change the file installation order (change 1st / 2nd file to install).

If you imported a Mazda from another region you are currently living in: Technically you can install FW of other regions (e.g. to get the language of the region). But if you use an imported car, it might happen, that your AM/FM/DAB tuner does not work with all frequencies. The AM/FM/DAB frequencies are not handled in the MZD/CMU, but in another module (TAU=Tuner and Amplifier Unit). If you want to work the frequencies properly, see your dealer for an exchange of the TAU. There are a lot of TAU versions available (also according to your equipment) and there is no FW for it in the wild to flash it.

If you find any typos/grammar issues above, you can keep them and count them. I am not a native american/english speaker. I only try to help other users, as this info I gathered here in several threads about the MZD I, helped me a lot. Hopefully it also helps you. If so, please click the "thumbs up"-button.

A big thanks to ASH8, who provided most of the information and Modfreakz, who provides the server.

To the admins/mods: If I should change any info in this post, please let me know, or change it, but please do not delete this post/thread without giving a reason. Thanks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Totally disgusting some of the policies of this new system, to take down one of the most popular threads in the forum which served the entire community is above understanding, now we know how it feels to live in an "illiberal democracy".

These actions makes it clear that this forum has a hidden agenda and they want to control the means of influence and information, disappointed that we have come to that...

·
Registered
270 Posts
For those interested and wanting to know the two threads were taken down under legal action-threat I guess from Mazda with a DMCA notice, the server host and member here was the target and his membership and content has all been deleted here.
Please do not take it out on any Forum Mods as it was not their decision. their job is a thankless one with no pay, so they don't need any grief either.
So what happens from now...who knows.
Does Modfreakz removes his Server, I can not answer yet.
I just believe it is better to have this out in the open rather than misinformation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
threats of legal action is a joke...updating your own car infotainment is no different (in a way) than say changing the spings in the suspension. both of which you can do it yourself....yes you'll void the warranty on that part...but its your own choice.

we aren't talking about stealing or modifying the mzd firmware code...its simply installing the cables and firmware.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, once your car is out of NCW (Warranty Expired) means you have to pay for any Firmware Updates.
Mazda/Visteon/JCI are not obligated to keep CMU MZD/Mazda Connect to very latest software version(s).
Edit: I am pretty sure Mazda Motor Corporation is one of the best at maintaining customers Infotainment Systems and are pretty good at fixing known problems unlike the nightmare systems from Ford, GM, Volvo, MB, Fiat, Mitsubishi and Nissan.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also that Mazda offers to update already sold cars with MZD to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay is not standard in the industry - that`s very customer friendly for the one`s who already bought a Mazda.

·
Super Moderator
4,879 Posts
Totally disgusting some of the policies of this new system, to take down one of the most popular threads in the forum which served the entire community is above understanding, now we know how it feels to live in an "illiberal democracy".

These actions makes it clear that this forum has a hidden agenda and they want to control the means of influence and information, disappointed that we have come to that...
This has nothing to do with the forum, new or old. Its a legal action, served on the Forum owners, AutoGuide, and they have to comply or face the consequences. As I see it, either the threads in question had to go or the whole forum might have been gone.

For those interested and wanting to know the two threads were taken down under legal action-threat I guess from Mazda with a DMCA notice, the server host and member here was the target and his membership and content has all been deleted here.
Please do not take it out on any Forum Mods as it was not their decision. their job is a thankless one with no pay, so they don't need any grief either.
So what happens from now...who knows.
Does Modfreakz removes his Server, I can not answer yet.
I just believe it is better to have this out in the open rather than misinformation.
There is no information that confirms where this came from. Most likely not from Mazda directly though. Like the previous issues with the AIO threads, it almost certainly started with somebody associated with a software provider such as Johnson Controls. They were the originators of the AIO DMCA stuff and forced Mazda to issue there statement on how cars with AIO tweaks would be handled.
The threads may be re-instated at some point but for now, who knows. If AG decides to contest it, they might win, they might not. Chances are in the big picture its not worth a bunch of money to fight, so don't hold your breath.
The member in question is still active, nothing has been revoked and nobody has been targeted. Its just an unhappy coincidence that the majority of his posts were in just a couple threads, and those were the ones taken down. All your eggs in one basket as they say......

·
Registered
270 Posts
Visteon/JCI/Mazda have common ownership...ie Mazda own stock in Visteon (China), Visteon owns stock of JCI. So there is synergy, communication, etc, etc.
As I told you at the time when all this went down both Tristan and I had issue finding Modfreakz details, and for the record the two main threads taken down were started by me and the MZD Firmware was started by Withe...nobody targeted I guess.

·
Om Shanti Shanti Shanti O
130 Posts
Hello.
Who can tell what kind of firmware this is?
02.jpg
59.00.449 NA
I can’t find her anywhere.
But the most amazing thing that there is the Russian language in. But NA region.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
General:
Not all firmware versions which were released by Mazda are available in the wild for us endusers. Some FW versions were only on CMUs, which came from factory and were not updated by the dealer before selling the cars. Others were available in the update system of the dealers, but are not available for us in the wild, because no one copied them at the time it was the current version. These can not be organized now, as no dealer has access to older FW versions - only to the current one. In general there most probably is no NA FW in which you can select russian language.

Regarding the photo:
The FW is NA - North America, but perhaps the language was changed to russian after reprogramming the region code in the IC module (AS built - somewhere in this thread - e.g. this post). After reprogramming the region code you can select the languages from that region I guess. Have never done it myself, as the region code might have a lot dependencies. I do not know more. For more details read/search the thread I linked above.

·
Registered
270 Posts
OMG...
Clearly this is some sort of patch/hack job, As No Russian vehicle comes with North American Firmware period, that is what NA N means. North America (NA) OS, Sirius, and TAU with NNG/Here Maps what the N means, someone has done a hack job on the car?, are you the original owner?.
Mazda Dealers do not change or alter Any 'As Built Data' as 1 they do not know how to and 2 they are not permitted or paid to play around with a customers car (again for what purpose and who pays?).

I would say that someone has hacked the .UP File and copied over the Russian language File from EU N Firmware, recomposed back to .up file and then luckily and successfully installed (I guess).
Again poster without me trolling through all your older posts how about some information about the car?, what Model Mazda is it, can you supply a Full VIN Number of the car.
What do you actually want to do...?
IF you can supply me with a Full VIN Number I may (95%) be-able to give you some straight information on your cars AIC (Parts information) from MMC which will tell me exactly what was installed out of factory and what is supposed to be running in car, otherwise somewhat of a tail chaser and time waster and for what purpose.

EDIT: As Tristan said, 59.00.449 Firmware was not released to any Dealers as an Update Package in NA N only EU N (Europe/Russia), Yes Mazda updates Firmware down the Production line all the time, but Dealers only gets a New File for updating between 6 and 12 months as 'updating' @ a Mazda Dealer level is a direct cost to Mazda.
IF file for a Mazda Dealer has never been issued from their Distributor then it is simply Not Available to them to do anything with, in this case their option at that time in NA N would be to install 59.00.502A, and now today 70.00.335C (add Region Code), you will not find any 559 Firmware as an 'update' package in the wild for NA N or @ a Mazda Dealer.
IF you want Russian language in Europe then 70.00.335C EU N is the correct one to install, IF you are in USA then 70.00.335C NA N.
Or look in Outdated Firmware in Hi-Drive Server when in NA N 59.00.441A, or 502, 504, 540, 545, and 546 NA N or 70's are available, or in EU N (Europe) EU N 59.00.449A is there or later, 502, 532, 545.or 70's those are your choices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone!

I have a 2015 Mazda 3 running version 33.00.500 with no region (MAZ)
Is there a way to get to newer versions of OS?
Can I install other versions like 4A N region on my car? Will this brick my CMU running on MAZ?
Newer Mazda's sold in my country Costa Rica (Central America) come with 4A N region.

Local dealerships do not offer software upgrades for any Mazda :(

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@rodocruz :

(Edited the post due to my initial thought that you have FW 30 and not 33, which you have...)

Is there a way to get to newer versions of OS? Yes, there are two ways:
  • Official: Go to another Mazda dealer - usually then can update the firmware.
  • Inofficial: Do what the dealer would do, but on your own risk. Read more about it in the forum here. Downloadlink for firmware (4A N = ADR) files and update procedure PDF/manual/instructions. Read the PDF before the update and stick to the word to it, as otherwise you could brick your CMU. You can update directly from your 33.00.500 (MAZ) to latest 4A N/ADR FW 70.00.335 (1 file).
Can I install other versions like 4A N region on my car? Yes, you can. I would recommend the FW, which other cars in your country have from factory (4A N = ADR), as you mentioned.

Will this brick my CMU running on MAZ? No, it will not, if you stick to the firmware update procedure PDF to the word. At least thats the way it should work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts