2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and can't seem to find an answer.

Are the genre's listed in Mazda Connect changeable? Can you add to them?

Yesterday I tried created a genre of "Classic Rock" on my USB key and when I went to find it this morning I didn't see it. I was hoping it would pick it up but I'm not 100% sure it's possible or I somehow goofed on creating the tags.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've been trying to get music to play correctly from a USB drive. I've noticed quite a few posts saying Gracenote can often override the Genre set in your file metadata which may be why you see your problem. There is also a caching issue where MZD Connect can be confused by stale data held in its memory even if you have changed data on the USB drive. See my post 25 here http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/220234-connect-not-showing-album-covers-music-usb-drive-3.html It might be worth changing the folder structure as I did with success to force MZD Connect to do a full scan of the USB drive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I tried again renaming genre's using mp3tag and used random made up genre names and tried putting the files into a different folder and MazdaConnect ended up listing them all as Rock.

Perhaps MazdaConnect only has set genre's and doesn't allow new ones to be added.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks. I tried again renaming genre's using mp3tag and used random made up genre names and tried putting the files into a different folder and MazdaConnect ended up listing them all as Rock.

Perhaps MazdaConnect only has set genre's and doesn't allow new ones to be added.
I wonder if killing Gracenote helps with this too.

I never use Genres, so I haven't looked into it at all.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I wonder if killing Gracenote helps with this too.

I never use Genres, so I haven't looked into it at all.
I noted in solving my problem that some people disabled Gracenote and this improved the Genre recognition. However, voice commands for music don't work if you disable Gracenote. I've now got everything working apart from Genre which I'm not bothered about.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I noted in solving my problem that some people disabled Gracenote and this improved the Genre recognition. However, voice commands for music don't work if you disable Gracenote. I've now got everything working apart from Genre which I'm not bothered about.
Gracenote most definitely has its own list of genres and ruthlessly imposes them regardless of what is tagged in a file, at least on my system. Probably 80% of my the music on my default stick has an ID3 genre tag of simply "Metal", and with Gracenote it showed at least 5 different genre labels that don't exist in any tags in any files on my system. It never showed "Metal" until I disabled Gracenote.

Also, to me, the voice commands were worthless because when I had it play albums it never played the tracks in the right order, even though they do play in the right order when playing a folder. Dark Side of the Moon, concept albums, etc, mustn't be played out-of-order. That's if I could get it to recognize what I said anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts