2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
put some foam insulation tape behind that.
Yup, there is a special foam with a silver back that is about 1/2-1" and also we think the clips are broken on both side. The interior pieces were done by a worker going thru divorce at 3 minutes to 5 the day before a Japanese holiday. Cause how in the hell can u miss that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If I press trim piece in my car it makes the similar sound although not as loud. Although I have never heard the sound while driving. Being a brand new car I would imagine trim pieces may squeak as they settle in, but the only noise I get is tire noise.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
The interior pieces were done by a worker going thru divorce at 3 minutes to 5 the day before a Japanese holiday. Cause how in the hell can u miss that.
I swear my last subaru was built on a Friday by some person in Indiana on his last day before he retired. Front suspension had to be replaced, drivers seat was loose, gear shift got stuck in reverse for about 5 minutes one time, and the center differential grenaded itself. All before 32k miles. Sometimes, you just get a bum car.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i had rattles from my old civic due to broken plastic clips. im sure during the assembly on the line, the worker just smack the plastic trim piece in, breaking the clips on some.

you know whats weird, while i can find spots where mazda cut cost and it looks like an eye sore, plenty of other compacts have a better perceived build quality (better liners, less flimsy controls, etc), but when you drive it, it doesnt feel solid and rattles like a tin can.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had rattles from my old civic due to broken plastic clips. im sure during the assembly on the line, the worker just smack the plastic trim piece in, breaking the clips on some.

you know whats weird, while i can find spots where mazda cut cost and it looks like an eye sore, plenty of other compacts have a better perceived build quality (better liners, less flimsy controls, etc), but when you drive it, it doesnt feel solid and rattles like a tin can.
Listen, I have total regrets with this car, coulda , shoulda, woulda, waited till the next model, but that still does not mean a better built.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: MY mom took the car to the dealer today and she said all the others were exactly the same. My brother is going to foam it and use some better and tighter clips.

Yes, a cost cutting thingy

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
UPDATE: MY mom took the car to the dealer today and she said all the others were exactly the same. My brother is going to foam it and use some better and tighter clips.

Yes, a cost cutting thingy
All I can tell you is that mine is tight and fine with no noise. I can't believe ALL of the others were like this.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All I can tell you is that mine is tight and fine with no noise. I can't believe ALL of the others were like this.
mine too, I did a good leader conditioning on the seats and dash and every black panel I saw.
No jiggle, no rattles, at least yet!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine too, I did a good leader conditioning on the seats and dash and every black panel I saw.
No jiggle, no rattles, at least yet!
The dealer told my mom it 7 today in Ohio it may do it to. Cold contracts clips.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The dealer told my mom it 7 today in Ohio it may do it to. Cold contracts clips.
It was zero degrees where I live and the trim is tight.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I tried pressing the panel and I hear a little click but it's nowhere as loud as in the video. Doesn't make sound when driving tho.

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Mazda focuses their attention (and cost) to driving and handling. Civic and Honda uses a more balanced approach, which is why it is harder to find cheap parts here and there (everything is equal). Mazda should've focused more on fit and finish and less on technology gimmicks. Facebook and automatic windshield wipers is all fine and dandy but when you start cutting your hands on plastic mold-lines and hearing various rattles (thats nicely covered up by your Bose Sound System) it doesn't hold much merit toward "perceived quality."

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mazda focuses their attention (and cost) to driving and handling. Civic and Honda uses a more balanced approach, which is why it is harder to find cheap parts here and there (everything is equal). Mazda should've focused more on fit and finish and less on technology gimmicks. Facebook and automatic windshield wipers is all fine and dandy but when you start cutting your hands on plastic mold-lines and hearing various rattles (thats nicely covered up by your Bose Sound System) it doesn't hold much merit toward "perceived quality."
Amen you hit it on the nose

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It doesn't quite work that way. The technology "gimmicks" are cheap to implement and add a lot of perceived value. I've owned Honda's, and don't find their fit and finish any better than this Mazda. In fact, the road noise in most of the Honda's I've driven is much worse than this Mazda, and the Mazda is a little bit on the noisier side.

That said, I think the issue is that Mazda's quality control is not as good as Honda because they are so much smaller and are not profitable. If they were more profitable, they would invest more in build quality. That said, I must have lucked out because my 3 is tight, has good tolerances, is fairly quiet, has a good looking interior, and has had zero problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts