2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, of all things to finally push me to make a build thread is the recent addition of an interior LED kit. But first, the rest of the ride. In 2011, I bought a '12 skyactiv sedan that as soon as I left the dealer lot, sort of didn't like. The economy was great, but it was just missing the extra oomph.

It didn't help that @mazdaspeedmyk has his awesome Celestial Blue speed that we spent hours and hours working on.

In the middle of 2013, dealers were almost giving away Mazdaspeeds, so I hopped on that bandwagon and traded it in for the VRM '13.

First things first was tint. 35% front and back from FreshTint out in Santa Clarita.

Rally Armor mudflaps and JBR shifter bushings (no pics) were next. Right after that, one tire got a nail in it and within a week another got two non repairable punctures, so I rocked the Enkei 17x7.5 Fujins I had on the Skyactiv, while I waited for 225/45/18 Continental DW to be shipped in for the stock 18s.

I love piss yellow fogs, so I ordered Lamin-X fog covers. It wasn't yellow enough, so some "JDM" no name yellow bulbs went in, as well. Plastidipped the silver fog bezels, too.

I snapped up @color0's offset shift knob. It's set so that it points to the 9 'o clock position, if you're looking directly down at the shifter. I didn't like the gap and ended up using an oem shifter bushing as a collar. Worked like a charm.

OEM rain visors and a retrofitted 06-07 STi V-Limited lip were next.

I got rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic and decided to have them repaint the bottom of the bumper gloss black instead of the gray. I like the way it turned out. Too many colors with the gray smile, silver fog bezels, black mirrors and black lower half of the rear wing, then gray bumper. One day, I'll have the smile painted gloss black. Personalized license plate also went in right before the accident. Right after that I purchased some tech package LED taillights off a totalled Mazda3.

@steelrain made some side decals for me.

Corksport adjustable struts, @warlord camber arms, and Swift Spec-R springs are next. I've got the struts set to full stiff (15/15), front and back. It's a comfortable setup for a daily driver. The weird thing is on really big bumps, I've noticed the front gets a little floaty for a split second, where as most people say they experience that in the rear. It only happens at this one spot on the freeway. Other than that, no complaints. The drop is perfect for me. The parking garage to my work has a steep entrance, so any lower would probably rip the front lip off.

Wheels are next. I helped with the VMR group buy and ended up ordering 18x8.5 +45 V810 in gunmetal, thanks again @Mitchsays21.

Which brings me to today. I had the Corksport LED interior kit in the Skyactiv and loved the way it looked. Instead of ordering that again, I opted for the Diode Dynamics kit. It cost a little less, so what the hell. Why not? 2 things. I knew off the bat that the DD kit isn't as bright as CS. No biggie. The biggest thing is that the kit labeled as a hatch did not include a hatch bulb. @Diode Dynamics, did your hatch kit recently change? My receipt says all the bulbs are for a hatchback, so I'm sure I clicked on your link for the prebuilt kit, but no trunk/hatch bulb is included. I just went back to your site and now the trunk/hatch light is there.

Anyway, I was going through some stuff in my garage and found the CS led kit that I had. Since I originally ordered it for the skyactiv sedan, I never used the vanity lights and hatch light. Score! The CS vanity lights have two LEDs, vs one in the Stage one Diode Dynamics kit.

CS on left, Diode on right, both pics.

And the rest of the interior lights.

Cool White vs. Oem

Anyway, that's it for now. I don't want to mess with HPFP, AP, tunes, etc, so it's staying stock engine wise (at least, that's what I keep telling myself). Hoping to do a sway bar next year. Stay tuned...or not.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Holy moly you made one.

Reactions: My spoon is too big

·
Mazda3 Lighting Experts
293 Posts
Alright, of all things to finally push me to make a build thread is the recent addition of an interior LED kit. But first, the rest of the ride. In 2011, I bought a '12 skyactiv sedan that as soon as I left the dealer lot, sort of didn't like. The economy was great, but it was just missing the extra oomph.

It didn't help that @mazdaspeedmyk has his awesome Celestial Blue speed that we spent hours and hours working on.

In the middle of 2013, dealers were almost giving away Mazdaspeeds, so I hopped on that bandwagon and traded it in for the VRM '13.

First things first was tint. 35% front and back from FreshTint out in Santa Clarita.

Rally Armor mudflaps and JBR shifter bushings (no pics) were next. Right after that, one tire got a nail in it and within a week another got two non repairable punctures, so I rocked the Enkei 17x7.5 Fujins I had on the Skyactiv, while I waited for 225/45/18 Continental DW to be shipped in for the stock 18s.

I love piss yellow fogs, so I ordered Lamin-X fog covers. It wasn't yellow enough, so some "JDM" no name yellow bulbs went in, as well. Plastidipped the silver fog bezels, too.

I snapped up @color0's offset shift knob. It's set so that it points to the 9 'o clock position, if you're looking directly down at the shifter. I didn't like the gap and ended up using an oem shifter bushing as a collar. Worked like a charm.

OEM rain visors and a retrofitted 06-07 STi V-Limited lip were next.

I got rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic and decided to have them repaint the bottom of the bumper gloss black instead of the gray. I like the way it turned out. Too many colors with the gray smile, silver fog bezels, black mirrors and black lower half of the rear wing, then gray bumper. One day, I'll have the smile painted gloss black. Personalized license plate also went in right before the accident. Right after that I purchased some tech package LED taillights off a totalled Mazda3.

@steelrain made some side decals for me.

Corksport adjustable struts, @warlord camber arms, and Swift Spec-R springs are next. I've got the struts set to full stiff (15/15), front and back. It's a comfortable setup for a daily driver. The weird thing is on really big bumps, I've noticed the front gets a little floaty for a split second, where as most people say they experience that in the rear. It only happens at this one spot on the freeway. Other than that, no complaints. The drop is perfect for me. The parking garage to my work has a steep entrance, so any lower would probably rip the front lip off.

Wheels are next. I helped with the VMR group buy and ended up ordering 18x8.5 +45 V810 in gunmetal, thanks again @Mitchsays21.

Which brings me to today. I had the Corksport LED interior kit in the Skyactiv and loved the way it looked. Instead of ordering that again, I opted for the Diode Dynamics kit. It cost a little less, so what the hell. Why not? 2 things. I knew off the bat that the DD kit isn't as bright as CS. No biggie. The biggest thing is that the kit labeled as a hatch did not include a hatch bulb. @Diode Dynamics, did your hatch kit recently change? My receipt says all the bulbs are for a hatchback, so I'm sure I clicked on your link for the prebuilt kit, but no trunk/hatch bulb is included. I just went back to your site and now the trunk/hatch light is there.

Anyway, I was going through some stuff in my garage and found the CS led kit that I had. Since I originally ordered it for the skyactiv sedan, I never used the vanity lights and hatch light. Score! The CS vanity lights have two LEDs, vs one in the Stage one Diode Dynamics kit.

CS on left, Diode on right, both pics.

And the rest of the interior lights.

Cool White vs. Oem

Anyway, that's it for now. I don't want to mess with HPFP, AP, tunes, etc, so it's staying stock engine wise (at least, that's what I keep telling myself). Hoping to do a sway bar next year. Stay tuned...or not.
We definitely have a 2-SMD model for the vanity lights, which would be brighter than the 1-SMD model shown.

If you have any questions about your order, feel free to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

We offer a variety of bulb models, for differing levels of brightness so you can get the exact look you are going for.

If you would like to upgrade to brighter bulb models, we work with you to get replacements sent along with a return shipping label for the products you don't wish to keep

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Finally! :smiley:

Jon I really need to get that door sticker (but in silver) that you and Mike have. Looks real tidy.

Reactions: My spoon is too big

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally! :smiley:

Jon I really need to get that door sticker (but in silver) that you and Mike have. Looks real tidy.
Do it!

We definitely have a 2-SMD model for the vanity lights, which would be brighter than the 1-SMD model shown.
Oh, I know. I was just comparing your stage one kit to another vendors.

It was more confused at not having a trunk light in the hatchback kit I ordered from, but then finding another hatchback kit that containts the trunk light. My receipt clearly states I didn't order one, so I'm just trying to find out what link I clicked to get to a hatchback kit that doesn't have a trunk light.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
You think one of your father's waffle sammiches would still be fresh if he shipped it to the west coast? Hahaha. They look amazing.
Nope but don't be surprised if in a few years he'll have a place on the west coast. I need to make a road trip

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Dude. Yes, please.
Yeah he's been thinking about it. You'd be surprised how many people have copied him already and there is a guy who used to work for my dad but got fired who started copying his concept but I think he's in San Diego

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts