2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little mishap at a hospital.... taking my dad for an appointment.

It looks better now, but far from perfect. Buffed it out a bit. Good news is nothing is cracked, just some gouges. Should be easy to sand out and fill as necessary. I think I'm going to try a patch paint and then feather it in. I've been honing my half assed body working skills over the years. I think I can make it look decent....or maybe not! We shall see. I'll log it all at some point.

Nothing on the fender which is good, all plastic damage.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Little mishap at a hospital.... taking my dad for an appointment.

It looks better now, but far from perfect. Buffed it out a bit. Good news is nothing is cracked, just some gouges. Should be easy to sand out and fill as necessary. I think I'm going to try a patch paint and then feather it in. I've been honing my half assed body working skills over the years. I think I can make it look decent....or maybe not! We shall see. I'll log it all at some point.

Nothing on the fender which is good, all plastic damage.

View attachment 287577
Good chance to hone skills. I'm sure it'll turn unnoticeable!

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,348 Posts
Meh ...its not so bad ... Should be an easy project for you
If you feel like adding my paint chipped hood to your project
I'd be more than happy to help

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meh ...its not so bad ... Should be an easy project for you
If you feel like adding my paint chipped hood to your project
I'd be more than happy to help
Appreciate the offer, but I know I won't have time for it anytime soon. If I'm going to do some bodywork I want to put the time into it to do it right. I just don't have it right now. I think it'll probably stay like this until the spring.

But hey that's not so bad. Plastic doesn't rust!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That should buff right out
Isnt the base plastic black

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, and you can see some in the pics. Doesn't show up so well with my colour. There's some deep scrapes into the plastic. Some of the scratches are very deep too.

I did buff it (after that pic was taken) and it does indeed look better but it's not going to help the deep damage. It needs to be sanded and filled with putty and then painted.

Too cheap to pay a shop and don't have the time to do the work. I'm thinking I may sand and putty in short stages, it's the paint that is going to kill me. Bondo doesn't care much about moisture and neither does the plastic. However once I prime it I have no choice but to rock on and get the paint and clear done.

I'm aiming for perfection. That means a lot of time goes into prep of both the vehicle and the workspace. Can't do something that large outside, so it's hazmat time. More time needed for safety precautions. And then teardown after the job is done I still treat it as hazardous.

Once it's had several days to cure, I have to sand and polish to feather it in.

It all adds up..... I'll get there at some point. I think I still have glazing putty and some Bondo. Clear coat looks ok still. Found a couple of tack cloths. Still have plenty of PPE. I have a little air filter/dryer for the compressor and surprisingly I still have some spare dessicant for it in good shape. So materials I'm actually in pretty good shape.

The downside....my god our paint is expensive. Maybe it's just my colour? My old car i got a pint of waterborne for $45 and a can of reducer for around $20, need to mix it before spraying. Our cars are waterborne from factory so I'd like to stick with that, it'll get better results. I'm getting numbers like $90 and up for a half pint with the reducer already mixed in....so about twice the cost for a quarter of the paint. Yikes.

Sure it's still cheap in the grand scheme of things. A half pint would easily do the entire bumper and more. I'm only doing a patch. But still, blows my mind a little.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yup it is expensive ...
when i added a ducktail to the sedan
I spray painted it black matte before install
1 can of automotive / prime and paint mix $30
I got about 8 coates on it and still have some left over

1 - 9 of 9 Posts