2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. driving my brand new 2014 sports touring last night i noticed i can see where the low beam light cuts off exactly.

for some reason it is an uneven pattern, it's definitely shallower in the left side with a weird slightly zigzag pattern. i drew a yellow line to show exactly what the pattern looks like.

i have my beam dialed from down and up and i still get the same effect.

does anyone know what this is? i didn't hit anything. is something wrong with my car? i posted another issue with high beams on the same night here. is it related?

any help would be appreciated.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ld-weather-break-my-high-beams-concerned.html

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
yup, thats normal.

Reactions: chombiekay

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the LED headlights? I thought they were adaptive so they lower the beam on the left as to not blind oncoming traffic
hi! i have bi-xenon headlights. i honestly don't know if they are adaptive. i just looked my car spec window sheet and it doesn't say adaptive on it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
what level do you guys have your headlights (lowbeam) set at?

do you have it in the middle? i think when i had mine set to see as far as possible, i kept getting other people flashing me as if i had high beams on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
what level do you guys have your headlights (lowbeam) set at?

do you have it in the middle? i think when i had mine set to see as far as possible, i kept getting other people flashing me as if i had high beams on.
Yeah, I've never noticed this on my car as I have the halogen headlight assembly, but I'm pretty sure this is how bi-xenon headlight setup was built. They're much brighter than halogens, and the cutoff is set lower on the side oncoming traffic is on:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2zLwaLYJ7_c/maxresdefault.jpg

As you can see, the side that has oncoming traffic doesn't send the light as far as the other. High beams are a different story though

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
What you're seeing is completely normal of projector headlights. The cutoff line is lower on the left so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic. I don't think you should raise it all the way up since it'll blind oncoming traffic, hence why you're getting high beamed at. That adjustment thingy is so when you have passengers you can adjust the height accordingly. I have the sGT with auto leveling so it raises and lowers depending on if I have cargo/passengers in the back or not. And sometimes raises or lowers when I'm on a slight incline/decline. When I got the car, the lights were aimed kinda low and only seems to shine about 20 feet or so in front of the car so I had to raise it a bit.

·
Registered
563 Posts
:| seriously? Another thread on "oh my god my headlights are crooked!"?

Firstly it's normal on all cars. Secondly it's clearly depicted in the maintenance manual that you can download on this forum. Thirdly the halogen assemblies have the same beam pattern. People need to start searching. Google is usually a good place to start...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:| seriously? Another thread on "oh my god my headlights are crooked!"?

Firstly it's normal on all cars. Secondly it's clearly depicted in the maintenance manual that you can download on this forum. Thirdly the halogen assemblies have the same beam pattern. People need to start searching. Google is usually a good place to start...
doh, you're right i actually feel like a dummy right now. i didn't even think to look at the once place i should have first, the manual.

:X

·
Registered
563 Posts
doh, you're right i actually feel like a dummy right now. i didn't even think to look at the once place i should have first, the manual.

:X
You live, you learn; don't feel dumb. I just don't like how people are following this trend of "knee jerk" thread making as soon as they see something odd or something they're not used to. Instead of looking through the books or doing some solid research, they depend solely on quick internet responses that may or may not be right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts