2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Galaxy S2 & Nexus Tablet as Nav

Purpose:
Use a tablet connected to my phone (WiFi hotspot with no tether costs!)
- Use Spotify on a larger screen
- Use Google Navigation with real time traffic

Setup:
  • The tablet is connected to the car via bluetooth.
    I planned on connecting the headphone jack directly to the AUX port, but I like controlling my song selection on the steering wheel.
    I chose to lose bluetooth calling.

If you pair a tablet to a bluetooth receiver ($20-50) and connect it to the AUX port, then you can continue to have bluetooth calling.
    You just won't be able to use the bluetooth buttons for the tablet.

Install:
  • Easy. You have to cut some plastic (where the screws go) on the Double DIN and replace the brackets on the satellite radio.
    Unfortunately, because of this the top part of the Double DIN is a little loose. I had to secure it with some zip ties.
    To make the tablet snug you have to fill behind it with something. I used cardboard and bubble envelopes :001_huh:

Results:
The tablet is really snug now. Everything functions great as you would expect from an Android.
No rear view camera...yet :wink:.
I just bought a matte anti glare screen. The glare was annoying. This is a must!

Drawbacks:
  • If you ever reset your car's battery, you have to open everything back up and reinsert the old panel to reprogram your radio presets as well as treble, bass, or any other audio setting.
  • The audio system is always on when you turn on the ignition switch. You'll have to add your own separate power button if you want this problem solved. Maybe integrate it on the panel?
  • You lose the cd player and channel dial. I can still of course cycle through my radio presets and audio modes through the steering wheel.
  • Having a WiFi hotspot will eat up a lot of your phone's battery. I leave it charging in my car.
  • You must have your phone with you if you want real time traffic updates or do anything on the internet. You might want to go the 3G/4G tablet route. I'm not willing to pay $15/month for 300MB with ATT or $20/month for 500MB with T-Mobile when my phone already has a 3GB data plan. 500MB isn't that much anyways. It's your call!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google Nexus 7 16GB WiFi $190.00 @ Newegg (w/coupon. Sorry can't seem to find it at the moment)
Scosche MA1543B Double DIN $19.00 @ Amazon

Tasker, $2 @ Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...askerm&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
  • There are so many more things you can customize/program with this app. After 30 seconds my tablet automatically turn of the screen when you lock the ignition switch. A passcode reentry is shown if you want to use the tablet still. Airplane mode is enabled to conserve battery power. Stop running tasks like Chrome, YouTube, Navigation, Maps, and Spotify. When the ignition is on, bluetooth and WiFi are enabled. The brightness is adjusted based on the time and or day. You have to put some work into this, but when you're done it really pays off.

FoxFi, $8 (For your Android Phone)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ch_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5mb3hmaSJd
  • This app allows you to tether via WiFi or Bluetooth. The free version only lasts 30 minutes unless you hit the refresh button and there's like a 12MB limit lol. For a one time fee you get the app with no restrictions.

Rotation Locker, Free (Use through Tasker as Plugin)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...yLDEsImNvbS5kZXZhc3F1ZS5yb3RhdGlvbmxvY2tlciJd
An app I found that will lock your tablet in Landscape Mode.
You will need this running in the background apps like Spotify that don't run Landscape Mode natively.

Secure Settings, Free (must activate the Helper App inside this app. Use through Tasker as Plugin.)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...pYmxlb2JqZWN0LnNlY3VyZXNldHRpbmdzLnBsdWdpbiJd
  • For the Google Nexus you must use Secure Settings in conjunction with Tasker in order to use auto Airplane Mode (Android 4.2.2 Jellybean)

Nexus Root Toolkit, Free
[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.3 [Updated 02/24/13] - xda-developers
  • You must first root the Nexus in order to have auto Airplane Mode as an option in Secure Settings.
  • You just download the toolkit on a PC and following the instructions. It will take about an hour if you're a newb like me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wow. And that just took all the cluster of buttons away from the dashboard. Very nice setup.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
That looks bloody good. Only the stereo constantly being on would get to me -- I think that if I went and did this I'd just take out the entire audio system while I was at it. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is there a detailed writeup on this? I want to do this as well with a tablet I am getting in November with a 4G service... would love to do this on my 2013 Mazda 3, as I do not like the factory setup. What do I need as far as wiring goes? I want to use solely Pandora / Radio.com for my music and sports radio, but have all of the functionality of the tablet. So far, google has been unreliable for information...
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is there a detailed writeup on this? I want to do this as well with a tablet I am getting in November with a 4G service... would love to do this on my 2013 Mazda 3, as I do not like the factory setup. What do I need as far as wiring goes? I want to use solely Pandora / Radio.com for my music and sports radio, but have all of the functionality of the tablet. So far, google has been unreliable for information...
Thanks in advance!
I did basically the same thing except for I completely removed the stock radio / speakers.

Tablet -> OTG Cable -> USB Digital to Analog Converter -> RCA -> Amplifier -> Speakers

I watched this video to get a general idea of everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6OWTnoPZYA

I also installed the Timur kernel so the tablet could go into a "deep sleep" mode (which means I can leave the tablet in my car for about 3 weeks before its battery dies) and also to fix some issues with the tablet connecting to the USB DAC after a power cycle.
I also modified something that would automatically turn on the tablet whenever the tablet saw external power regardless of the batteries current charge. This is very convenient so you don't have to worry about pulling the dash apart to get to the tablets power button if for some reason the tablets battery died.

Some software I recommend installing:
Waze - Navigation - It's a "social" navigation app that allows drivers to report road hazards, weather hazards, police, etc. Waze will then notify you and also re-route you if necessary around accidents etc.
Volume Control - Allows you to place a static volume bar on your tablet. I have mine placed on the far left hand side of the display for easy access from the drivers seat.
Nova Launcer - A different launcher for the tablet. Lets you select the number of home screens, grid size, and a bunch of other neat little UI tweaks.
Xposed Framework - Basically another app marketplace but for more low level control of things. There is a very useful gesture control app that I highly recommend installing from Xposed. I set up swipe gestures for play/pause, next / previous track, and mute. This allows me to keep eyes on the road instead of making sure I tap the correct button to change a song.
Tasker - Lets you set up a series of tasks to perform given an event. For example, upon applying external power to the tablet have audio start playing, turn the volume down to a moderate level, and launch Waze.
Tablet Talk - Basically lets you view / reply to text messages and answer / initiate phone calls from your phone on your tablet. Although audio for phone calls is not piped through to the tablet, you can still see who is calling and either reject / answer the call from the tablet. This is convenient if you use a bluetooth headset on your phone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds great. Will watch the video @ lunch today! I have many rooted devices and love Waze, but use Apex launcher... seem to like that better than Nova. I have an older Asus TF101 10" that I may see if there's a way to fit it in this thing... or just use my 8".

·
Registered
73 Posts
if you dont have a tablet and you're looking to go this install, id suggest this cheaper option

Ematic 7" Tablet 8GB Memory Quad Core, Black: Computers : Walmart.com

it has 1.5ghz quad core with 1 gb of ram. these specs would run perfect for this application and that for under $40.

i plan to do this install with this tablet and ill post a review if requested

·
Registered
63 Posts
That Ematic actually looks decent for a project like this... the display isn't great, but I'm not using it to watch movies, so the 169 ppi is not really that big of a deal... It does not say if it comes with an OTG cable or not... or even connector or if you can use a microSD with it, but I'll go check it out tonight at WalMart.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i looked it up a bit. no otg cable with the unit but you do get 32gb microsd compatible. good enough

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, the OTG is just used to basically make a USB hub it looked like because of the lack of external storage on the unit or something... if I can slam a 32G micro SD in, I won't need any of the extra stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
lol well that'll do the trick, when do you plan on doing the install? im installing fogs and drl's this weekend. i'll probably do the hu install next weekend

·
Registered
752 Posts
it would be cool if you had a better quality hardwire connection for audio at your disposal to free up the bluetooth for an ELM OBDII so you could have torque running on the tablet.. I like where you are going with this and may borrow some ideas for my build.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, I have the wife's Nissan at our shop for work this week (CV boots let loose, craps everywhere), so I am thinking sometime during next week or two I want to get this swapped out. Still have to find a double DIN that works and looks good, but not many folks do this apparently on the 2013 Mazda 3's...

·
Registered
73 Posts
it would be cool if you had a better quality hardwire connection for audio at your disposal to free up the bluetooth for an ELM OBDII so you could have torque running on the tablet.. I like where you are going with this and may borrow some ideas for my build.
thats why i was looking towards getting an eonon. with the new ui coming out with new hardware specs, i might wait a bit and see how that looks when it comes out. other then that for only about 60 bucks you can get a hu with almost as much functionality.. seem like a bargin

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I'm going to dig into the wiring because I want to try to find a way to maybe move the factory unit to the glove box or even somewhere secure behind the dash and just use the audio out for the tablet to the factory unit so that I can still use my Bluetooth for the phone. Getting the Note 4 when my contract is up November 17th, and really want to keep bluetooth for the phone... or figure out something like that... I am not sure. Have to wait and see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
now that sounds awesome! you would have all stock features PLUS the display. if you can find a way to do that let me know, IN DETAIL because thats something that would interest me. could you edit the stock radio in some fashion that can minimize its space?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts