2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well the other night at about midnight, I caught a bolt in my rear tire.
it didn't leak air but made a thumping noise.

i was only a mile or two from home, so i just drove home and dealt with it the next morning.
i took the tire off to plug it, but i was out of plugs. so i was gonna toss the spare on to run to the local auto parts store. i was like hell no when i saw it. so i grabbed one of my sisters cars old rims and tossed it on. then went and got the plugs and fixed it.

now i want to use this rim and tire as my closer to stock spare.

the oem tire is a 205/55r16 = 8.2width and 25.02 height.
the spare is a 115/70r15 = 4.6 width and 21.44 height
the tire and rim i have are 195/50r16 = 7.8 width and 23.8 height

i need to build an angled shelf, ill work on it more when it isn't in the 20s
the hole so shallower in the rear than the front but its about 1.5 inches to being flush in the rear.
that's what i got so far.

i can make it out of wood, but im gonna look around for something lighter.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Not a bad idea but can't really see how your going to make it work. At least for now maybe in a few min I'll realize it lol.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
OP, you see the little Foam squares on the bottom of the OEM cover? I'm sure if you get some styrafoam or foam swaures that are taller you could probably just sit it right like stock

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking why not just raise a bit more on the sides. Your making it more complicated than it really has to.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know I thought of that on my way to work. But I also put a lot of weight in the back of the car. I'll see.maybe some high density foam and shave it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I wouldnt worry about having a different sized tire in the rear but the front wouldnt be a good idea to have one on too long. Diffs dont like to vary speed from side to side for too long.

I figure if I ever get a flat in the front ill have to change 2 tires but your idea saves you from doing that. Im curious to see what you come up with

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea but I don't want to get a flat at work and drive 53 miles home on a donut. Out of 7 vechiles I have or had all of them except this one has had a full size spare. I have only had three flats in over 3/4 of a millions miles (not joking) of driving. But I have had to plug a few tires, like this one.
Never put a spare on the drive tires.

I work till next weekend. I will work it then.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've been pondering this very idea since I had a tire blow over Thanksgiving and had to limp to a tire place on the spare. OP if you manage to make it work please write it up :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts