2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as the title states I decided to work on a new box for my hatch.

Currently my setup is 2x 8" Kicker subs with a all-in-one box I made...

Well as much as I love how they hit, it seems a little too much for me.... lol So I have decided to tackle the jack space similar to gen1 stealthbox.

started by taping off my mold.

On to the messy stuff.

Scary looking I know but the hatch is fine and NO that isn't Great Stuff from HD.

when I finally got it out

and after an hour of peeling away aluminum foil and a bit of cutting/light sanding, we have........

back in for a test fit....

stay tuned..........

******EDIT: COMPLETED******

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Nice idea with the foam. Much less messy than trying to use fiberglass and resin in the car. Smart, so very smart. You gonna be happy with a single 8" sub though?

Reactions: JTMS3

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the right amp the 8" sub should be fine. With my setup now, once I hit the 35 range on the volume the 2x 8"s start beating the hatch down. No rattles but still a little much. As for the foam, I learned that trick a while ago. This way I have a mold as well so not a one and done deal. :D

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
The only question I have is how do you think it will fit since you are making your box as a positive into the cavity?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only question I have is how do you think it will fit since you are making your box as a positive into the cavity?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by this. If the FG shell is anything like the mold made this will fit snuggly in the jack storage area. There is a 8mm or 10mm mounting hole in that area as well that this box will be locked down with.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I think that Noodles might be concerned with the eventual size of the enclosure since layering fiberglass mat onto the outside of the mold will increase the final enclsure's eventual size (however slight). This growth due to the layering might hamper fitment.

To counter this you could lay a single layer of fiberglass down onto the back of the mold, remove the initial fiberglass layer then strengthen it using additional layers applied to the "inside" of the initial shell.

With about .5 ft3 to work with, have you considerd using a shallow mount woofer of a larger diameter? One 8" seems conservative to me, but I suppose that powered correctly it might be enough.

Good work! I look forward to seeing your progress.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that Noodles might be concerned with the eventual size of the enclosure since layering fiberglass mat onto the outside of the mold will increase the final enclsure's eventual size (however slight). This growth due to the layering might hamper fitment.

To counter this you could lay a single layer of fiberglass down onto the back of the mold, remove the initial fiberglass layer then strengthen it using additional layers applied to the "inside" of the initial shell.

With about .5 ft3 to work with, have you considerd using a shallow mount woofer of a larger diameter? One 8" seems conservative to me, but I suppose that powered correctly it might be enough.

Good work! I look forward to seeing your progress.
That is what I plan on doing. I am not really changing the outer shell afterdoing the 2 layer shell. Then once that has hardened I will FG the inside the shell as well as add some metal where the mounting hole will be so there is no breakage from movement.

The Kicker 8" sub is 4" deep but the plan is the have 2-3 layers of MDF to give it the full .5 cu ft of space. This same sub sits a smaller CU FT space now and sounds great so Im not concerned. A guy on another forum wants one to be able to fit a JL 8W7, that Im concerned about but this is why I made the mold...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and the progress continues....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once you are finished making the mold, would you be making more boxes to sell? So for the only place I know that makes a similar box are these people.

http://www.audiointegrations.net/MazdaHatch2010.html
That is the plan. The mold is already done (black thing in pics), it fit so well that I think I am going to make a couple molds from the FG shell to help speed up the process.

Mine probably wont have a curvy front since its going to have an MDF face with the speaker flush mounted.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What are you planning to do with your old setup? if your going to sell it I might be interested or where did you get that box? it looks like it saves a lot of space

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What are you planning to do with your old setup? if your going to sell it I might be interested or where did you get that box? it looks like it saves a lot of space
I made that one as well. It barely takes up space in the hatch and if you need the whole cargo area all you have to do is disconnect the wires and pull it all out at once (subs & amp). If I sell it I will let you know.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice. Well if your price point it better than the other guys, I would be very interested.
I am going to do my best to keep this around the $200-225 range depending on 8/10" sub size.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I made that one as well. It barely takes up space in the hatch and if you need the whole cargo area all you have to do is disconnect the wires and pull it all out at once (subs & amp). If I sell it I will let you know.....
Yeah man let me know! definitely interested on the box or whole setup

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I have made a small revision to the old mold and here is the result.

Too cold today to finish of the last layer of FG but I will cut the MDF today and hopefully the first box will be done by Weds at the latest.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts