2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and got my friend to help me wire some LED flexible strips onto my car and followed the tips from this post: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-mazda-3-appearance-interior/5398-led-audi-style-fog-light-install.html. What we did was poked a small hole in the top of the bottom fog light area so the wire could fit through. Luckily Mazda doesn't have that much in their front ends so you can easily stick your hand in and pull the wires through. We used a relay system with a switch that I pulled into the dash. Unfortunately we didnt hook up the leds to come on automatically with the headlights but that is okay as long as you remember to flip the switch to turn them off when you are done.
I got the led strips from Oznium.com. Pretty good shipping too.

Anyway here are some pics (attached), if you have questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did something very similar with mine but I put the strips over my headlights like shown in the picture. Got mine from Oznium too! My one strip died once but I sent them and email and they sent another one to me in a few days, good service!

·
Registered
262 Posts
@ajcase
I was debating on doing this as well, Either in that spot, or the slot at the bottom of the bumper.

@becandl

That looks really awesome, did you take any other pics? I would like to see how and to what they are attached to...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I didn't take any pictures of the wiring or anything, it would be hard to see because my HID ballasts are sitting there as well. But basically, I tapped the lights right into the parking light wires (I forget what colors). I took these pictures to show the switchback turn signals I installed but they do give a good view of the LED strips as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hate to bother, do you have a picture of the front end with both headlights in view? What are the strips attached to? This is really really sweet. LOL one more, where did you get the switchbacks, I been looking for these for a while since my last car!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Vleds.com
Heres mine

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hate to bother, do you have a picture of the front end with both headlights in view? What are the strips attached to? This is really really sweet. LOL one more, where did you get the switchbacks, I been looking for these for a while since my last car!
No I do not but I will take a picture later in the week for you when I get some time. The strips are attached to the top of the headlight with double sided tape right behind the lip on top. The LED strip sits between the hood and the headlight, if you look at your car and open the hood, you will see what I'm talking about. I got my switchbacks from V-LEDS.com, here is the link to the ones I got: V-LEDS TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING HID WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 48 M-SMT PARKING/TURN SIGNAL BULBS 7443 7443NA

I'm going to order LEDs for the rear turn signals and rear parking lights as well because I like how they look. I still need to wire in the resistors for those turn signals, for now I'm just dealing with the hyperflash (which isn't actually too bad).

EDIT: I used the double sided tape that came with the LED strips (from Oznium).

·
Registered
262 Posts
No I do not but I will take a picture later in the week for you when I get some time. The strips are attached to the top of the headlight with double sided tape right behind the lip on top. The LED strip sits between the hood and the headlight, if you look at your car and open the hood, you will see what I'm talking about. I got my switchbacks from V-LEDS.com, here is the link to the ones I got: V-LEDS TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING HID WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 48 M-SMT PARKING/TURN SIGNAL BULBS 7443 7443NA

I'm going to order LEDs for the rear turn signals and rear parking lights as well because I like how they look. I still need to wire in the resistors for those turn signals, for now I'm just dealing with the hyperflash (which isn't actually too bad).

EDIT: I used the double sided tape that came with the LED strips (from Oznium).
Dude thanks for the info. I think I know where you are talking about as I just gave a quick look coming into work, I see the lip that comes up from the light to the hood. Pics of your placement would be awesome when you have time, and if you could do a quick explain on how you wired them. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
^^Dude those look wicked too! Where are you attaching yours? and just with some 3m tape?
Thanks man I have mine attached to the bumper underneath the headlight housing and yeah its 3M thats holding them!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Dude thanks for the info. I think I know where you are talking about as I just gave a quick look coming into work, I see the lip that comes up from the light to the hood. Pics of your placement would be awesome when you have time, and if you could do a quick explain on how you wired them. Thanks again.
Its very easy! When you open your hood look for the wires attached to your parking lights. There should be 3 wires a green, orange and pink one. I forgot what the green one was for I think its just the ground the orange is for using them as turn signals and pink is for having them on with parking lights its ur choice of how you want them wired up! If you want you could do both but you would need a third wire obviously. Good luck

·
Registered
262 Posts
Its very easy! When you open your hood look for the wires attached to your parking lights. There should be 3 wires a green, orange and pink one. I forgot what the green one was for I think its just the ground the orange is for using them as turn signals and pink is for having them on with parking lights its ur choice of how you want them wired up! If you want you could do both but you would need a third wire obviously. Good luck
I would probably go with parking light wire. And obviously they can be wired alone to a switch to power only the LEDs, but You would just have to remember to turn them off, I would rather the other way. Is there an easy way of tapping into the wires? or go through the actual connector?

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problem! I will see if I can get to it this weekend, I've been pretty busy recently.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would probably go with parking light wire. And obviously they can be wired alone to a switch to power only the LEDs, but You would just have to remember to turn them off, I would rather the other way. Is there an easy way of tapping into the wires? or go through the actual connector?
Oh i didn't see his post, but that's exactly how I wired it up (how frnch said it). It's pretty easy. What I did was I cut back the sleeving thats around the wires and then I bought some wire taps at an automotive store (box of 50 was like 6 bucks). You use those and you can just tap right off the wire for your LEDs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh i didn't see his post, but that's exactly how I wired it up (how frnch said it). It's pretty easy. What I did was I cut back the sleeving thats around the wires and then I bought some wire taps at an automotive store (box of 50 was like 6 bucks). You use those and you can just tap right off the wire for your LEDs.
Any downside to doing it like this? what about when the time comes to remove them?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any downside to doing it like this? what about when the time comes to remove them?
Well you should definitely leave yourself some room in case you mess up, but when it comes time to remove them you can just take the tap off and put electrical tape over the spot that was tapped or cut it and put it together with some wire crimps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey everyone, I am completely new to this forum! I purchased a 2012 Mazda3 Hatch on Saturday. I really wanted daytime running lights, so I added these LED strips. SUPER easy to install. Let me know what you think. Granted, its still really sunny out, but i'm interested to see what they look like at night!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts