2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not ur average sexy girl.
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my attempt at the Audi style LEDs, tapped into the headlights to run the power to the LED strips.
it wasnt too easy as i did this at eight pm lol without pulling off the bumper that was fun, most of the people thought i was stealing the car lmaon, sum random chick with a flash light under the hood of a car at midnight. lol.

Crappy pics using an old iphone, will try to update these soon.

Next move is HIDs for the headlights and that would complete the white lighting front.

Emily.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Those look nice! What LED modules are those?

Reactions: Summersweets108

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look nice! What LED modules are those?
Hey, I used the pilot brand from autozone. Although everyone has said they r not too sealed for rain and might blow out they have held their own during a couple of storms. Now if they survive hurricane Irene they r tougher than we give em credit for lol. I will be updating you guys.

Emily

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soooooo they surviveddddd. Through some of the craziest rain and wind, the wildest weather and nothing they work like a charm. Ran them through the car wash two days ago and still working. apparently they were better than i thought.

Emily.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Hey, I used the pilot brand from autozone. Although everyone has said they r not too sealed for rain and might blow out they have held their own during a couple of storms. Now if they survive hurricane Irene they r tougher than we give em credit for lol. I will be updating you guys.

Emily
Pilot Automotive/Blue LED grill lights (CZ-153B) | LED Exterior Accessories | AutoZone.com Those would be the ones you used? And what guide did you follow to install if you used any? Anything else you would need for install besides basic tools?

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How to Audi Style lights MZ3 2011

Pilot Automotive/Blue LED grill lights (CZ-153B) | LED Exterior Accessories | AutoZone.com Those would be the ones you used? And what guide did you follow to install if you used any? Anything else you would need for install besides basic tools?
Yeah those r the ones, they were like $30 but they have withstood a whole lot of rain, even tho the packaging looks cheap they r pretty nice, funny thing they misspelled the word black on the package for "bcalk" lol. Time to see if they can stand the crazy NYC cold weather this winter. Please don't judge me for they way i did this or if it was wrong, it worked for me. As for the guide and tools i gotta do a write up since i just followed my own, no guides. so heres pretty much an overlay of what i did.

1. LEDs lights from Autozone includes 3M db sided tape plus (electrical tape, phillips screw driver, blade for wire stripping you can use anything else, couple zip ties, flashlight (important if bumper isn't removed), a whole lot of patience.

2. laid everything out on the passenger seat idk why but i always work out of that seat lol.

3. I based it all out of the left side so i started there, if you wanna connect it to the right side start there n work your way to the next side. Turned the wheel all the way to the right so that i would have space through the mudguard since i hate pulling bumpers off a car.

4. Turn car off and unplug the negative side of the battery to prevent any shorts (will lose any presets on the radio). Keep the hood open for light.

5. This is the basic layout of the lights, the two light strips are wired to a single tiny box that has the circuitry, this box comes sealed with silicone to prevent water to get in although its never the best of seals but it works for the purpose intended, then from the box you have a single wire that has three little ones inside at the very tip, a yellow (according to the instructions on the box it says its blue but its actually yellow), red, and black. so like they look like a big Y, rather than wired in series .... lol. The lights are made so they can give you that "kit from knight rider" look like that sweeping effect, or they can simply be solid on or off which is what i did cause its illegal on this state to have any light do that effect. for this the yellow and red wire have to be twisted together and leave the black alone, so you end up with two wires technically. (if you want the sweeping effect leave the red wire out of it and use only the yellow and black) <<<electrical tape.

6. unscrew the little plastic screws that tie the mudguard against the front of the left tire (towards the bumper) i undid the whole way around to the twelve o clock position, after they come off pull off the plastic washers that the plastic screws hold onto and put them safely someplace, i stepped on one of them by mistake and killed it, and I only weight 118lbs.

7. pry open that mudguard and its gonna fold over really easy as its rubbery plastic although its gonna always pull back so its annoying, when you get inside with the flashlight i spotted the housing behind where the lights where going to go, its directly underneath the fog lights, so when you shine the flashlight you should see (like i don't have fog lights) a plastic cover with a screw where the fog lights go and directly underneath there is another plastic cap with a small screw on the right of it, unscrew it although the cap is not gonna come off after you do this it will help like you have no idea. (btw this is all based off of the 2011 model) if you have the fog lights I'm sure the cap will be under the fog lights.

8. to get the light through that small opening you have to pull on the left of the cap (opposite side of the screw) realllllllllly hard cause its really solid there, and as soon as you get an opening with your left hand helping from the outside too just feed the led strip through the cap this is through the inside of the mudflap so that the little box and the other strip light needs up inside of the bumper of the car. Do not pull the double sided tape yet as you want em on to align them right.

9. what i did was i "threw" the other light across to the other side from the inside of the bumper, tried a couple of times as its not easy to do, there is a small opening directly under the middle of the car where the engine would go so i got on the ground and tried to find the other light i threw there and pulled it a bit farther to the right side of the car, at this point the little box should be right underneath the middle of the car inside of the bumper near the oil filter and the radiator.

10. Same procedure on the right side from the plastic screws all the way to the light in through the cap, btw don't worry you won't break that plastic cap that this is literally solid i barely got the light through before it sealed back in.

11. now from the left side again feed the wire to power them through the left headlight all the way up, so when you are finally standing up in front of the left headlight you have the wire in front of you, this might be easy for me as my hands r small and they fit through all the way down to reach down for it, you might have to fish it through from the bottom up.

12. unhook the headlight (if you want em on only at night or when headlights on, or parking lights if you want em on with those on as i didn't wanna do a separate switch), and identify the wires going into the headlight harness one should be black and one red, black negative, black positive then what i did since i hate splicing was i fed the wires through the bottom of the harness and stripped the very end of them [blade or wire stripper], fed them inside of the harness holes where the headlights actually plug into, it was tricky but i got them to stay in and connected the harness back with the wires plugged into the holes (black to black part of harness and yellow and red twisted onto the red part of harness) they sat there so flushed that there was no need for extra securing since they actually r hard to close cause of the extra wires tied to em. when you plug them back in make sure they click so they don't unhook and come undone.

13. get under the car again and from that tiny little hole under the car where the oil filter goes with the help of the flashlight peel the double sided tape off and stick it on the plastic under the radiator so its a dry spot away enough from the oil filter when it gets hot and stick it there ...{not to the radiator}.

14. plug in the negative terminal on the battery again and turn on the headlights, (or parking lights whichever ones you are stealing power from) and peel off the double sided tape, find a good spot and stick em. I chose the very edge of the cavity, you might want to choose a different spot closer to the center idk. just feed the extra wire through the cap inside of the bumper again so it looks flush and without any wires showing, same on the other side.

15. backtrack,,,, just put back the screw you took off of the cap back on each side of the car and secure the wire so its not hanging around, i used a zip tie to the car horn so it wouldn't be too lose around the inside of the bumper, although you don't have a ton of wire left.

16. stick the plastic rings back and then screw the plastic screws back on n thats it, close the hood look at your hands and find out you broke a nail in the process and your hands look all greasy lol if you are a girl like me please make sure you didn't just do your nails cause they will break lol. fix ya hair and go out for a test drive to see if they work after a few miles off the road. :)

I know i know this is a super duper long write up but i wasn't sure if i was gonna write it up so i forgot to take pictures, i figured i had to make it up by explaining to a detail. if you have any questions please just PM me or ask it here and don't judge it if i did sum wrong. :) although compliments r always welcome lol. i actually took pictures of my footwell lighting DIY setup and that one I'm gonna write up soon.

Emily.

Reactions: Rherold9

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great Post!

Thanks for your Post. I'm trying this same mod but I'm having problems to know where to tap the wires to the headlights. Do you have som pics? It would be very helpfull.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts