2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sitting in the bar with the 3 right out front and watch some douchenozzle try to parallel park in front of it and smack right into the front-left of the car, he might have been a bit tipsy since his angle to park was way off and he didn't hit the brakes, hitting the mazda at 3-4 mph.

I ran outside and got his info; the damage actually looked surprisingly minimal for the speed he was going. The bumper was a few mm off but snapped right back in, and after some rubbing the only chipped area was this:

My question is, will touch-up paint sufficiently cover this up? Granted it is a very small area, but I don't think I will be able to get the other guy to replace the entire bumper, and there is no way I can prove that he hit the 3 when it was parked.

So annoying, the car is only 5 months old. :sad 1:

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I think touch-up paint will cover the spots where paint is missing. Some light sanding, rubbing compound, and wax will minimize the appearance of the scuffs.

If you got his info, why not get a body shop to touch up the area? You file the claim with his insurance. He has nothing to do with that process, really. Of course, if he says he didn't do it, you don't have a police report so there isn't anything you can do.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Depends on where he lives, Derrick. Here in Dallas, police will only come to an accident and fill out a report only if there is an injury. Otherwise, it is your word vs the other party.

I don't see this as a problem and second what Derrick is saying. Take it to a auto body shop and have it professionally done. You're car is so new, it deserves proper treatment!

·
Registered
191 Posts
If he didnt hit you why else would you have his info? Thats usuallly a credible argument here in Maryland. And yea here the police wont file a report unless someone is injured or they have to tow a car. Now what i would probably do is turn it into the insurance and get the check for repairs and then just touch it up with a little sanding and paint. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Was sitting in the bar with the 3 right out front and watch some douchenozzle try to parallel park in front of it and smack right into the front-left of the car, he might have been a bit tipsy since his angle to park was way off and he didn't hit the brakes, hitting the mazda at 3-4 mph.

I ran outside and got his info; the damage actually looked surprisingly minimal for the speed he was going. The bumper was a few mm off but snapped right back in, and after some rubbing the only chipped area was this:

My question is, will touch-up paint sufficiently cover this up? Granted it is a very small area, but I don't think I will be able to get the other guy to replace the entire bumper, and there is no way I can prove that he hit the 3 when it was parked.

So annoying, the car is only 5 months old. :sad 1:
There is a possibilty that the establishment you were at, or another place near the scene of the crime had a camera rolling and might have caught the act! You could always ask around if you have free time, or call insurance company of the person who hit you and have them do the dirty work! Shit, there are cameras everywhere now, someone must have seen it and can establish proof that it was not your fault!!!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
:(

Scratched cars make me sad. I agree with some of the other guys said about contacting his insurance company...there's no way you should have to "settle for" having to DIY this repair. Hopefully, since they guy gave you his info, he's willing to own up to his mistake.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He admitted it and since the car was parked his insurance company will pay for whatever they think needs to be done.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
He admitted it and since the car was parked his insurance company will pay for whatever they think needs to be done.
Hell Yeah!!! Great news!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts