2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5 that I just got maybe two weeks ago. I have just under 12,000 miles on it, and it was doing great...So last night I went out and as I was getting onto the interstate, I downshifted to 3rd to merge with traffic, and about a second after downshifting, my engine made a pop noise, then died...

I rolled to the side of the road and called Mazda Roadside assistance. The car is now at a dealer, but I have to say I'm disappointed with my car. When it's working, I love it. But right now, I'm having HUGE buyer's remorse. Considering I traded in my 03 BMW z4 for this car, it's not sitting well with me (along with a bunch of crap that the dealer I bought it from has given me)...Has anyone else been left stranded by their 3? I'm hoping I get bombarded with a ton of "NO, my 3 has been awesome...." and maybe I just got a fluke...if it comes down to it, I want another one...just one that works.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
NO, my 3 has been awesome!!!

Hopefully this is just a one time occurrence and the dealer finds what's wrong.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We purchased our 2011 3 Hatchback S model M/T on May 31st of this year. With just over 11k miles, the car has performed flawlessly. We've been on a 1,700 mile road trip, a 900 mile road trip and a 600 mile road trip without so much as a hiccup. Driving around town has been equally trouble-free. I hope you have only a minor glitch...please let us know the results from your dealer.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
NO, my 3 has been awesome!!!

Hope they figure out whats wrong with it :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
At least it is covered under warranty. I have just over 3500 miles with no problems on my 2011 3- 2.0 with zero issues so far as well.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
have about 11600 miles and so far no problems at all.

let us know what the problem was after you find out from the dealer. Good luck! btw Z4 is a beautiful car haha

·
Registered
641 Posts
My 2 speed 3's have been amazing! The first one got water in the gas tank (got a bad tank of gas i guess) and really messed stuff in the motor. I would have kept it but it was not worth putting $3500 into it. I drove it for 25,000 miles and the only other problem i had was in regards to recalls. The new one i have had for 3800 miles and nothing has gone wrong. Couldnt be happier with them! I think its safe to say you just got a rather unfortunate bad egg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I heard back from the dealer...the dealer (not the one that has it now) I bought it from did an oil change, and forgot that adding new oil was an important step in that process. So there's no oil, the engine seized because I had driven it for two weeks without oil, but I had no indicator lights telling me anything was wrong and it drove GREAT until last night...So now I begin my battle with the dealer I bought it from...ugh....wish me luck!

·
Registered
633 Posts
So I heard back from the dealer...the dealer (not the one that has it now) I bought it from did an oil change, and forgot that adding new oil was an important step in that process. So there's no oil, the engine seized because I had driven it for two weeks without oil, but I had no indicator lights telling me anything was wrong and it drove GREAT until last night...So now I begin my battle with the dealer I bought it from...ugh....wish me luck!
I find it really strange that you drove this car for two weeks with no oil. Usually a short time after starting, the engine will be making a lot of noise from bearings running dry of oil. Even if the oil light didn't come on you should have heard it.

Pat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Awesome car for running on no oil for 2 weeks. hahahaha

Sheared oil at that.

Mine has 108K and have VERY minor issues (plugs/coil).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow no oil? thats crazy! maybe its been a slow leak somewhere that has been constantly coming out since that visit, and the other day was the final straw.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
just proves how durable our engines are..haha no oil wont stop this thing for 2 weeks! so if you hit a pot hole put a hole in your engine pan, just know your still getting home! lol kidding dont drive with no oil.

also it isn't bad to just periodically check your oil once in a while and not just assume it's all good.

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
If you car is running dry, it's fuckin loud! and the fact that the engine seized while driving, ugh your looking at rings, bearings, a bunch of shit, don't settle on anything other than a brand new motor. Trust me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dude I really hope everything works out. It should since it's not your fault.
The 2.5 MZ3 really came to life after I did the re-timing of the engine, and an intake added.

·
Registered
83 Posts
wow, that's a crazy story. I've heard of people not remembering to put oil back in the engine, but I would think it's more likely there was a leak...maybe the oil filter wasn't tightened properly...but there should have been evidence to support such a leak.

They better replace your entire engine because everything was effected by that mistake.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
No, My 3 has been awesome.

Only problem is the left side HID balast died, tho this isnt original OEM (had an accident).

I did notice the oil filter wasnt tightened from the dealer, and it has been leaking for some time.

I'd say, WTF is wrong with these half ass dealers. I'm sure there are good ones out there, this "push the puck" mentality shouldnt exist.

1 year, 3 months @ 50,100 KM

·
Registered
750 Posts
wow, that's a crazy story. I've heard of people not remembering to put oil back in the engine, but I would think it's more likely there was a leak...maybe the oil filter wasn't tightened properly...but there should have been evidence to support such a leak.

They better replace your entire engine because everything was effected by that mistake.
I woud bet on a leat too since it was two weeks between the visit and death of the engine. I've heard plenty of horror stories about jiffy lube-like places not putting the drain plug in right and the engine bleeds oil for a while until it seizes up. Quite possible the same thing could happen at the dealer.

·
Car Nerd
814 Posts
My 3's had 30k miles on it and multiple hundred-mile plus trips and I've never had a single problem with it, but I do all my oil changes myself. I think you would have gotten a light or something saying you have low oil or low oil pressure, at least right before your engine seized up. But like everyone else is saying, don't settle for anything less than a brand new motor. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts