2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
@darin180sx I'd like to thank you for this thread! I really appreciate your direction with this car and the modifications that you've done to it. They're very thoughtful and aren't over the top. I appreciate that you've gone into such great lengths with providing the part numbers for many of these OEM parts / modifications that you've installed.

I currently have a 2012 Mazdaspeed 3. It's a blast, but it's quickly become a terrible daily driver. It's low, it's loud, it's obnoxious. I was able to find and am in the process of purchasing a 2017 Mazda 3 Touring hatchback. Being a daily driver, your direction, is exactly what my goal is with my Mazda 3. The little touches and (in many cases) quality of life improvements that go such a long way!

Thank you so much! I've already purchased a few things for my 3 from your thread. Keep up the awesome work and attention to detail, I'm excited to keep up with your progress!
Glad to hear my build impressed you! OEM+ is definitely the way to go. Looking forward to your build updates!

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wow! really great mod guide!!

I have a question, i have Mazda 3 2018 (BN), same model as yours i think. I have seen in a few pictures from your mod and seems that you have a button to open the trunck. Is that correct, is the trunck automatically opened (to complete opened position) when you push this button? I thought that this was only available in sedan version. Is a mod that you have installed or OEM? Thanks in advance :)
You're correct, the button did not come stock on the 5-door hatchback model. I didn't like the blank plate so I got the switch to fill the void lol. Ultimately I did install a power liftgate though and used that switch instead of the aftermarket switch that came with the kit. It now does open/close the hatch to fully open or closed when pressed.

This is a video I made showing it working using the rear hatch button, but the one on the dash does the same thing as well.

https://flic.kr/p/2n7CfC9

· Registered
Mazda 3 BN Hatchback
76 Posts
You're correct, the button did not come stock on the 5-door hatchback model. I didn't like the blank plate so I got the switch to fill the void lol. Ultimately I did install a power liftgate though and used that switch instead of the aftermarket switch that came with the kit. It now does open/close the hatch to fully open or closed when pressed.

This is a video I made showing it working using the rear hatch button, but the one on the dash does the same thing as well.

https://flic.kr/p/2n7CfC9
I love it! (and i want it)

Do you have a link for that kit? Did you installed it?

Thanks again!

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I love it! (and i want it)

Do you have a link for that kit? Did you installed it?

Thanks again!

That's the link to the one I purchased. I did install it myself and it wasn't difficult. You can do it at a moderate pace in one afternoon. The longest process is running the wires from the hatch lid into the cabin of the car as it is a tight squeeze. If you need any help/tips with installation after you purchase it, feel free to reach out.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Just logging some old updates on this thread as well:

Power Liftgate from Alibaba installed, ditched the generic switches it came with and used an OEM Mazda CX-5 switch for the hatch trim. (Also used the OEM sedan switch for the front switch)
Automotive design Grey Car Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

Installed OEM parking sensors:
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive parking light Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Grille

Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Gadget Output device Flat panel display Television Display device

Automotive lighting Amber Tints and shades Font Car

· Registered
4 Posts
This is incredible, thanks for documenting all your work! I'd like to replicate your front plate setup, do you know which generation of Nissan Versa the plate bracket is from? You posted a nice close-up of it with the parking sensors and it looks smoothly curved at the base/rear, unlike any of the ones I'm seeing online. Thanks!

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
This is incredible, thanks for documenting all your work! I'd like to replicate your front plate setup, do you know which generation of Nissan Versa the plate bracket is from? You posted a nice close-up of it with the parking sensors and it looks smoothly curved at the base/rear, unlike any of the ones I'm seeing online. Thanks!
Thanks I appreciate it!

The Nissan part number is: 962103WC0A eBay Link

You only have to remove a little bit of material from the central post to have it wrap around the bar in the Mazda bumper.
Rectangle Gas Computer monitor accessory Electric blue Composite material

I wrapped the outer edge in a rubber edge trim so it wouldn't scratch the bumper:

I used these zipties as they have a rubber back that I again could put on the bumper and not worry about damaging it. They are also reusable:

Finally I mounted the plate using a rubber plate holder so again it wouldn't scratch the bumper if it touched it:

Might seem excessive, but worth it IMO!

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks I appreciate it!

The Nissan part number is: 962103WC0A eBay Link

You only have to remove a little bit of material from the central post to have it wrap around the bar in the Mazda bumper.
View attachment 288892

I wrapped the outer edge in a rubber edge trim so it wouldn't scratch the bumper:

I used these zipties as they have a rubber back that I again could put on the bumper and not worry about damaging it. They are also reusable:

Finally I mounted the plate using a rubber plate holder so again it wouldn't scratch the bumper if it touched it:

Might seem excessive, but worth it IMO!
Thanks for sharing all this!!! I don't think it's excessive, especially given how good the end result looks--almost as if it's a designed part. I will give it a go.

· Registered
2 Posts
Installed some AliExpress switchback LED front turn signals. I really like the look it has with the DRL headlights and helps complete the front end, lighting wise.

View attachment 284624
View attachment 284625

They are white whenever the car is on and running, but have a sequential orange LED for the turn signals:
https://flic.kr/p/2mGGhTT
Do you happen to have a guide of how you installed the front bumper sequential lights? I purchased them and have them ready but I’ve been waiting for the right time to install them.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Do you happen to have a guide of how you installed the front bumper sequential lights? I purchased them and have them ready but I’ve been waiting for the right time to install them.
This is the wiring I found for them on Mikstore (which sells the same part):

WIRING Guide:

• Red wire - Positive Battery [I opted to join this one with the yellow wire and use the 10A Meter fuse in the fuse box]
  • Black wire - Negative Battery
  • Yellow Wire - ACC Fuse, 7.5A Audio or 10A Meter [In the engine bay fuse box]
  • Blue Wire (Main Harness) - Low Beam or Fog Lamp Positive Wire (Whichever you want to trigger the BLUE LED)
  • Brown Wire - Turn Signal Negative Wire
  • Blue Wire - Turn Signal Positive Wire

· Registered
13 Posts
This is the wiring I found for them on Mikstore (which sells the same part):

WIRING Guide:

• Red wire - Positive Battery [I opted to join this one with the yellow wire and use the 10A Meter fuse in the fuse box]
  • Black wire - Negative Battery
  • Yellow Wire - ACC Fuse, 7.5A Audio or 10A Meter [In the engine bay fuse box]
  • Blue Wire (Main Harness) - Low Beam or Fog Lamp Positive Wire (Whichever you want to trigger the BLUE LED)
  • Brown Wire - Turn Signal Negative Wire
  • Blue Wire - Turn Signal Positive Wire
Although I didn't ask, I appreciate you responding and answering this question, too. I bought these as well, and I'm not good with wiring and the lack of really any instructions to these makes it difficult for me. Thank you.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Actually, the Mikstore ones may be slightly different in terms of wiring.

The ones I installed from Aliexpress show as:

Red -> 12V
Black -> Ground
White -> ACC (10A Meter2 Fuse in Fuse Box) [Empty Spot]
Yellow (x2) -> to each Positive wire for the turn signal (I believe these are light blue on the BN)
Blue -> Headlight Positive (I did not connect this wire as I did not want my lights to be blue)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts