2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, over Thanksgiving weekend, I got into an accident (not my fault) and my Mazda3 was totaled. That car was absolutely perfect for me and I loved it so much, that I really don't know what to do about getting a new car. I bought the car when it was brand new so all of the wear and tear was of my own doing. It was a 2010 Mazda 3s Sport Hatchback, 6-speed manual in celestial blue, which I absolutely loved. After some time mourning the loss of my car and dealing with insurance I have gotten a dollar amount that was actually better than I expected.

What I need some help with is picking out a new car. I am 95% likely to get another Mazda3, but I have some options with that. I don't know whether I should buy a new 2013 model or go for a used one. I'm willing to put in SOME extra money if it's worth it for an upgrade from the old car but I'm trying to stay under $20k but I definitely do not want to 'downgrade' anything that I previously had.

I've done some browsing and I could probably get a new 2013 Mazda3 i Touring Hatchback after putting in some money, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on the Skyactiv engine yet since it's smaller than the 2.5L. How noticeable is the difference for those of you who have driven both (I haven't gotten a chance to test drive it yet)? Obviously the MPG is a bit higher. I also see that they don't make the same blue color that I had on the 2013 models any more which makes me a bit sad, but I see that they have a USB port now which I would love. The other option I have is going with a used car, and if I did that I could probably get a 2011-2012 with some of the nicer options like the sunroof or Bose stereo and could possibly get the same color as my old one.

In the end of it all I just don't want to feel like I'm missing anything from my old car or feel like I really lost something after getting in an accident that wasn't my fault and don't know whether I should go with a used car get a new one. So if you have any insight or advice, please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
2013 Speed 3 IMO

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
+1 Like a Bengal Tiger on the verge of extinction. Get one before there are no more left.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Also I'd say go for a speed 3 if you can afford it.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but getting a Speed3 would definitely be out of my price range, as I'm really trying to keep under $20k. Plus I don't need all that power and don't really want that hit to the MPG. I am definitely going to stick with wither the 2.5L engine or a Skyactiv.

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
If I was you I'd go all out on a new 2013, now its got touch screen. Also I think the only difference another 2-3k for the extra trims plus then I touring would be $40 a month or so.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
If can't get the speed3 go with the 2.5L since you loved it so much the first time. Also, you there is much more you can do for mods with that car over the Skyactiv. The new 2.5L looks awesome imo but it is the Skyactiv. More power and better fuel economy... That's always great. I guess pro's and con's what's your plans? Do you want to add more performance? Go with the regular 2.5L if you are looking for fuel economy and decent performance with not a lot of mod choices go with the 2.0L

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Man if it were me I'd do what I could to wait too see what happens with the new 2014 models. Should be available around June. Long time to wait for a car but that just my opinion. Or find a good deal on something that you could get the money back out of and sell it move up to a 2014.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When I was shopping, I test drove both a 2.5 L sedan and the 2.0 L Skyactiv. The 2.5 L did seem more peppier but I am just as happy with my Skyactiv. It seems fast enough for my needs. I don't race people but I can easily pass people on the highway. The MPGs are better and it was cheaper than the 2.5 L. Go test drive one and see if you like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I would be able to hold off 6 months on getting a car and also after seeing the 2014 Mazda3 pictures, I can say I prefer the styling on the 2010-2013 Mazda3. I plan on test driving a Skyactiv one as soon as I'm done with finals this week, so I guess I will be able to see if it suits my needs because honestly that MPG bump seems pretty attractive.

·
Free Tibet! Today Only!!
914 Posts
They're not the actual pictures, just mock-up ideas thrown around. Have you considered a CX-5? Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I wouldn't mess with a 2014. It'll be the first year of the style change. You guys haven't been around long enough but when the 2010's first came out in the summer of 09 the forum was filled with threads about rattles and a host of annoying issues that made a bunch of people question the build quality of the Mazda 3. My 2010 MZ3 2.5 was no exception. The windshields all creaked, the gauge cluster rattled, the area behind the radio rattle, the glovebox rattled, the windows rattled hard when they were down , the hatch on the 5 door rattled, the pass seat belt buckle rattled, the drivers seat wobbled after only a few months of use, the clutches got super stiff in the cold weather and creaked all the time and the worst for me was the popping sound that the front left suspension made when I went in and out of a driveway. The car sounded like a real pos. The threads about these issues stopped in 2011 so Mazda got around to fixing all these issues. Buying a car the first year of a production run is not a good idea AFAIK.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
The speeds are a ton of fun and you could probably find one for 20k pretty easily. But there not for everyone. Worse mileage and no luxury of an auto. So yep test drive them and you will know then what you like better. I own a speed and my wife has a 2011 celestial blue hatch. I love them both. Sometimes I don't feel like having to shift and take hers. Both great cars as you know. Lol

·
Registered
356 Posts
Also if your debating between the 2.5 or 2.0 skyactiv test drive them both and see which you would be happier with....:thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts