Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if this baby will fit a 3?

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was wondering the same thing with my 6. I don't really like the oddly-shaped knob it came with. My Protege had a spherical one that I found comfortable, so I figure this could be a good replacement assuming it just screws on top. I have searched and can't find a source to buy one, though. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
I tried it at my local dealer.
It's much smaller and lighter than stock and leaves a 1 inch gap between the top of the shift boot and bottom of the knob.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tried it at my local dealer.
It's much smaller and lighter than stock and leaves a 1 inch gap between the top of the shift boot and bottom of the knob.
Thanks. Was that on a 3 or a 6 (or are they basically the same anyway)? Was it workable or was the gap ugly?

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
I'm sure it's workable if you put a couple of washers under the boot, but without a short shifter I think the boot will pull the shifter when youre in a far gear ie 5th or 6th.

Mazda3 as this is the 3 section iirc?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Razo makes some nice aftermarket weighted knobs similar to the MX5 ones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have this shift knob in my car. Super simple install too.

I bought my knob from a MX-5 owner who replaced theirs with an aftermarket knob.

I followed the service manual to remove the center console/commander knob unit. The shift boot bezel is a bit tricky to remove but as long as you are patient, gentle and follow the service manual it pops right out.

Since there is a gap between the boot cover and the bottom of the knob I used 3 zip ties which made up the difference in the space between the two and if at a later time can easily be undone.

Here is the end result. The feel of this knob is a significant improvement over the OEM Mazda3 one. The weight of the knob is about 4 times heavier than the original, it is metal under the leather the feel is solid, size is perfect for my hand; not too small or large. Overall I am very happy with the results.

Comparison:

End result:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wonder if the automatic is compatible as well :D Since they seem to use the same mounting hardware for the manuals. Auto knobs have the trigger though.. hmm :p

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have this shift knob in my car. Super simple install too.

I bought my knob from a MX-5 owner who replaced theirs with an aftermarket knob.

I followed the service manual to remove the center console/commander knob unit. The shift boot bezel is a bit tricky to remove but as long as you are patient, gentle and follow the service manual it pops right out.

Since there is a gap between the boot cover and the bottom of the knob I used 3 zip ties which made up the difference in the space between the two and if at a later time can easily be undone.

Here is the end result. The feel of this knob is a significant improvement over the OEM Mazda3 one. The weight of the knob is about 4 times heavier than the original, it is metal under the leather the feel is solid, size is perfect for my hand; not too small or large. Overall I am very happy with the results.

Comparison:

End result:
i cannot find this anywhere !!! could you see if theres a part number underneath? i want this one so bad, but cant find it. not even oem parts sites.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i cannot find this anywhere !!! could you see if theres a part number underneath? i want this one so bad, but cant find it. not even oem parts sites.
I do not recall there being a part number but I am happy to check.

I had seen a local MX-5 owner who had a few exterior mods to their car while pumping gas at the station and thought to ask him if he swapped out the stock knob. He said he did "for a slightly larger one with less neck and solid metal."

We exchanged info and I bought his OE one a few days later for $40.

Off topic here, but I am considering the Short Shift Plate Kit from CorkSport. My last manual was an 1992 MR2 and there were a number of short throw options. The plate kit CS makes shorten throw but I would like to reduce the height. I haven't seen any actual short throw shifters in the market other than the CS plate kit... Other thing that bums me out is not being able to adjust where the clutch engage, I prefer about .75" to 1.0" closer to the floor board. :frown2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do not recall there being a part number but I am happy to check.

I had seen a local MX-5 owner who had a few exterior mods to their car while pumping gas at the station and thought to ask him if he swapped out the stock knob. He said he did "for a slightly larger one with less neck and solid metal."

We exchanged info and I bought his OE one a few days later for $40.

Off topic here, but I am considering the Short Shift Plate Kit from CorkSport. My last manual was an 1992 MR2 and there were a number of short throw options. The plate kit CS makes shorten throw but I would like to reduce the height. I haven't seen any actual short throw shifters in the market other than the CS plate kit... Other thing that bums me out is not being able to adjust where the clutch engage, I prefer about .75" to 1.0" closer to the floor board. :frown2:
Like you I also wish we could adjust the engagement point slightly closer to the floor, it is higher than I was used to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow, either my 2016 is way different than you guys' cars or I am just still too use to the old Jetta I traded in. That thing I had half the pedal travel before clutch started to engage. On top of that, I'd swear the overall pedal travel was twice as long as any manual I've ever driven.

I feel like I'm engaging as soon as I start to lift my foot. An inch closer to the floorboards? I really don't think I'm lifting more than half an inch before engagement.

The Jetta with that forever clutch movement was so difficult to get going, especially on a hill along with the power lag if you didn't blip the throttle up beyond 2000 rpm before beginning normal clutch engagement and throttle feather. This Mazda, I pretty much just let my foot go and the car moves. So easy in comparison.

I feel the same with the shifter throw. First test drive I took in a Mazda 3, the salesman just handed me the keys and said, "we close at 6". I gave it an extensive test drive. The clutch was so easy and the shifter was so short and smooth. After half an hour of driving around, I got back in the Jetta and felt like I was driving a 2 ton dump truck, LOL.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I received a PM and thought to follow up on my post.

I am not sure the part number, I didn't see anything on the bottom side of the knob from the MX-5 or the M3 stick unit.

If you cannot get one from the dealership parts people I would maybe hit up a forum member on a MX-5 forum or place a posting seeking a left over knob from the most recent model if anyone is replacing theirs with a aftermarket one.

I got lucky and saw a nice MX-5 owner while pumping gas and notice new car dealer plate and such on theirs and asked to buy their knob.

As for the service manual check this link the file is 266MB : http://1drv.ms/NUNzUC Check page 6,659 for the shift panel removal.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone have additional photos of this knob in a 3?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,141 Posts
20180718_115148.jpg

I just installed a JBR Hybrid heavy shift knob though. I like it a little better. It doesn't look OEM though.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,141 Posts
I used metal washers under the boot to make it flush.
CK

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Miata knob is fantastic. It "feels" heavier, but it is smaller than the what came with the car. I have small hands so I really like it. Just stop in at you local hardware store and by a nylon spacer to take up the gap. Pop the trim and slide the spacer on. No big deal.

I ordered from Amayama Trading Co. If you don't mind waiting it will save you $50.
Mazda N24346032 - CAP, PLASTIC - 10.61 USD (1 items)
Mazda N24446030B - KNOB, SHIFT LEVER - 66.67 USD (1 items)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts