2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly think it's time to do a transmission fluid change, never have done them before but I do my own oil changes so I guess the concept is the same.

Has anyone else done a transmission fluid change and with what oil did you use?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did it for the second time yesterday, I used Red Line MTL (75W80). Just level the car and fill it up until it just overfills from the fill port, it takes almost all of two quarts.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did it for the second time yesterday, I used Red Line MTL (75W80). Just level the car and fill it up until it just overfills from the fill port, it takes almost all of two quarts.
Thanks for that imgur.

Did you have to use a pump to pour the fluid?

Any difference after you changed the fluid? Mine still has the factory oil and i'm at 60,000km.

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
I use a pump I got from Autozone. It screws onto the top in place of the cap and has a piece of flexible hose on the end.
I would use the Ford Motorcraft stuff, not the Redline. Many people who have used Redline report that it is not good in colder weather. The Motorcraft is pretty much the best out there for your gearbox. I use it in my Miata and it makes a big difference. Its going in my 3 when the time comes.

Google this: Motorcraft XT-M5-QS 75W-90 GL-4

Whatever you go with, use GL4 fluid, not GL5.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use a pump I got from Autozone. It screws onto the top in place of the cap and has a piece of flexible hose on the end.
I would use the Ford Motorcraft stuff, not the Redline. Many people who have used Redline report that it is not good in colder weather. The Motorcraft is pretty much the best out there for your gearbox. I use it in my Miata and it makes a big difference. Its going in my 3 when the time comes.

Hey, thanks I'll look this up.

Is it okay that it's 75w90 rather than 75w80? I know for oil changes, I go between 0w20 and 5w20 because they run at the same viscosity at operating temps.

I live in Canada so our winters are pretty cold, so I guess Motorcraft would be better.

How about the synchromesh stuff I see people praising ?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Syncheomesh is a different fluid entirely. Only use it if your car calls for it.

I live in Canada too, and we can't get redline up here easily anyway. I used to use penzoil full synthetic with my old car and worked well. Carquest carries it.

You're going to find that most stores don't carry a GL 4, so be careful. The idiot clerks will usually tell you that 5 is compatible. As mentioned, it is not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for that imgur.

Did you have to use a pump to pour the fluid?

Any difference after you changed the fluid? Mine still has the factory oil and i'm at 60,000km.
I take out the air box and use a funnel and tube to fill it back up. Once you take out the air box you'll have plenty of room. I found when I first changed the oil, the factory did put enough in. With red line it shifts way smother especial during cold starts. I use to get more resistants shifting into first and second when I just started the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take out the air box and use a funnel and tube to fill it back up. Once you take out the air box you'll have plenty of room. I found when I first changed the oil, the factory did put enough in. With red line it shifts way smother especial during cold starts. I use to get more resistants shifting into first and second when I just started the car.
I could probably just use the pump and fill it back up right? Too lazy to take out the air box haha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I could probably just use the pump and fill it back up right? Too lazy to take out the air box haha.
Yes, the pump will work. Just more time laying on the ground, I'd rather fill it up standing instead and let gravity do its thing. I also meant to say the factory didn't put enough fluid in originally. I heard around that some others found that too.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the pump will work. Just more time laying on the ground, I'd rather fill it up standing instead and let gravity do its thing. I also meant to say the factory didn't put enough fluid in originally. I heard around that some others found that too.
Laziness gets the best of you haha, I'll try this project sometime in the next few months. Just gotta find some MTF and a pump.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Does it matter if its MT or ATX? I'm looking to replace the fluid in mine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would use the Ford Motorcraft stuff, not the Redline. Many people who have used Redline report that it is not good in colder weather.
My experience is the exact opposite of this. Red Line MTL is excellent, and shifts beautifully no matter the weather. I ran it for over 20 years in my previous Mazda. I will run it in this one when I change the fluid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Noob question here. I'm thinking about changing the MT fluid for my M3 at the dealership, and the service manager said I don't need to change it on this car until i reach 100,000km, or about 5 years of driving. Is that true? Or should I just go ahead and change it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Noob question here. I'm thinking about changing the MT fluid for my M3 at the dealership, and the service manager said I don't need to change it on this car until i reach 100,000km, or about 5 years of driving. Is that true? Or should I just go ahead and change it?
That is true - it won't NEED it for a rather long time, about 80k miles or so.
Most people on here are changing it to give better performance, smoother shifts and less hesitation in cold weather.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm gearing up to do this on my 2015 s GT at 55k miles.

I'm between redline 75w80 GL-4 and the Ford Motorcraft 75w90 GL-4 fluids though. Which will be better?

Is there any reason that putting in 75w-90 when the car calls for 75w80 would be a problem?

Are there any other options out there I'm not considering?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also used Redline MTL with a pump I bought from Summit Racing.

The others already covered the process involved, so I won't go into that. However, I didn't notice much of a difference in the shift quality, even in colder weather (sub 32F/0C). I did notice a drop in fuel economy, thought. Not much, just 1 MPG or so.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'm gearing up to do this on my 2015 s GT at 55k miles.

I'm between redline 75w80 GL-4 and the Ford Motorcraft 75w90 GL-4 fluids though. Which will be better?

Is there any reason that putting in 75w-90 when the car calls for 75w80 would be a problem?

Are there any other options out there I'm not considering?
I would stick with the 75w-80. Anything thicker for no real reason is just adding drag. If you said full on race car and beat the life out of it then perhaps something thicker. But for DD I say OEM weight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts