2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A header is not something you take off and on all the time, as it is too big of a job to get the stocker back on. If the stocker was more than one piece you could probably swap with ease. I think you'll be fine with it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jerryf and Wing, great vids you guys posted, found them on you tube also searching around. Since I got denied the Speed, I'm considering doing this mod also. My issue is my 3 is an auto and afraid it'll sound weird, is yours an auto Jerryf? Interior noise sounds ok, but external is pretty loud correct? How's the drone also? Funny, I didn't want the CS exhaust because of the noise level and drone, and now I'm considering a header.
Sorry I hadn't been on for awhile.. Yes mine is an auto :/ it really only sounds a bit too loud from 2600-3000 rpms, on mine it does have a bit of a drone noise when around those rpms.. But you will not regret doing this mod, the gain is noticed, at least I believe so.

Also as wingzero said, once you put the headers on, it's not something to continue swapping out when going to the dealership. I took my 3 the the dealership recently for tire rotation(had the SRI, Exhaust and Headers on), and while they were taking it back they were actually revving my car haha. So apparently I don't think they had a problem with it on.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thanks guys. I know one of the service writers at the dealer always talks to me about my mods and wants to do some on his new 6. He seems pretty cool about it. Ever since I test drove the speed, I'm really looking at upping the HP and torque on my 3, too bad it's an auto tho, but would be cool to have the gains on an auto so my wife will be happy she can still drive it, and I'll be with the gains.

Ya, looking at the exhaust manifold yesterday, I don't think I will want keep R&R that sucker more then once. Looks like a bit of a pain especially doing it on my own. I do know if I decide to trade in my 3 later on, I'd need to put everything back to stock. When I was there testing the speed and doing the paperwork, the sales manager asked if I had all the stock springs, exhaust, etc, because they would need to switch it back to resell. I thought the mods might up the value, but looks like it did the opposite, at least to them.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I say go for it, you can always upgrade the resonator in your exhaust to quiet it down even more if you wanted.
Hey, didn't think about that! Well I'm sold. Just gotta get the funds together and it's mine!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Did NWMotiv sell his yet? Good way to save a few bucks.
He still got is as of this past Friday. Will pick up his if he still has it when I'm ready. He said he can hold it for me with a deposit till I'm ready, will probably do that, but I'd really like to pay in full if I can. Knowing me, I'd probably send payment in full by weeks end anyway. Goal now is to have it installed by end of July!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
He still got is as of this past Friday. Will pick up his if he still has it when I'm ready. He said he can hold it for me with a deposit till I'm ready, will probably do that, but I'd really like to pay in full if I can. Knowing me, I'd probably send payment in full by weeks end anyway. Goal now is to have it installed by end of July!
Right on. Going to DIY?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Right on. Going to DIY?
Yup, doin' it myself. Funny, I do all my mods myself, but service at the dealer and wash at a car wash...go figure. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yup, doin' it myself. Funny, I do all my mods myself, but service at the dealer and wash at a car wash...go figure. :tongue:
Oh well you are saving yourself a boat load of cash by doing your self. Really the only thing I haven't done myself was the springs. But I will do the struts whenever they decide to go, so same difference.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just sent payment to nwmotiv for his header! Should be seeing it soon, well sort of soon, shipping to Hawaii takes a while. Can't wait!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just an update for any of those concerned about full mileage after putting a header on. Last tank (87 octane) I got 8.91 L/100Km or 26.4MPG. That is 50/50 city/highway and typical 10km over the speed limit, and also some heavier acceleration. The tank I am working on now I am driving super conservative.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Congrats Xero. Remember PB Blaster, and see if your local auto store has an O2 socket. Those will make the job almost enjoyable.
Just picked up an O2 socket at NAPA, they're all the same size right? NAPA only had one and the sales guy said the O2 sensor are all the same as far as the socket goes. Just waiting for confirmation that the header got shipped out, should have been today, if not hope tomorrow.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just received the header today! Unfortunately probably can't install till Tuesday or Wednesday :sad 1:. Will post back once I do!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Just picked up an O2 socket at NAPA, they're all the same size right? NAPA only had one and the sales guy said the O2 sensor are all the same as far as the socket goes. Just waiting for confirmation that the header got shipped out, should have been today, if not hope tomorrow.
O2 sensors for mazdas are 22mm/7/8".

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah the socket will work. I haven't found one yet that is a different size than mine o2 socket.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Who needs a radio ? I could listen to THAT header music ALL day long ! Sounds wonderful.....my compliments, sir !

21 - 40 of 78 Posts